Kazaa

What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
totally legal. How can this be?

Many files available for download from Kazaa are
either incomplete or contain hidden viruses. I would
encourage you not use use it.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Geoff A." wrote:

| What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
| to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
| totally legal. How can this be?

Re read the wording. It states that using Kazaa is legal (which it is).
It's when you use Kazaa to make available copyrighted material and material
that you do not have the right to distribute that the legality becomes the
issue. BTW, I can *GUARANTEE* that using Kazaa will compromise the security
and integrity of your computer.

Bobby

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> totally legal. How can this be?

bytor

In article <OWanRRGEFHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com, Geoff A. says...

> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
> to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> totally legal. How can this be?

Use.........N-E-W-S-G-R-O-U-P-S.........

Kazaa *is* totally legal, but what some (many) users do with it is not. In
the same way that owning a gun is legal, not all the *uses* of a gun are.

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> totally legal. How can this be?

If you want to update your viruses and spyware, Kazaa is for you.

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> totally legal. How can this be?

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Kazaa's full of viruses, dummy files and all sorts of other nasties. Try
Ares, much better.
http://www.aresgalaxy.org/

--

Kenny Cargill

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> totally legal. How can this be?

Kazaa is a great program for infecting your PC with
viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, and you might get
lucky enough to receive a trojan from the U.S. Government.

Geoff A. wrote:
> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
> to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> totally legal. How can this be?

The Kazaa application, in and of itself (if one doesn't consider the
spyware that one agrees to have installed along with it), and the
concept of peer-to-peer networking *are* perfectly legal. It's the use
to which so many people put Kazaa that results in the illegalities.

Think of it this way: A kitchen paring knife, in and of itself, is a
perfectly legitimate and innocuous tool for anyone to own and use, when
it's used for its designed purpose, peeling fruit and vegetables. If,
however, one were to use that knife for some illegal purpose, such as
attacking and injuring an annoying spouse/child/neighbor, is the knife
at fault?

Granted, the developers of Kazaa know perfectly well that their product
will primarily be used for the purposes of illegally distributing
copyrighted material, but they have what's known in political circles as
"plausible deniability." Because there are some legitimate uses to
which Kazaa can be put, its develops can successfully argue that it's
not their fault that people misuse the tool they've provided. They're
correct, but hardly innocent. If the developers of Kazaa were as
innocent and altruistic as they have their users believe, why is their
product full of spyware and adware?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: (More info?)

....is Kazaa 'Lite K++' any better/safer??
> Geoff A. wrote:
> > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
peer
> > to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
> > totally legal. How can this be?
> >

> The Kazaa application, in and of itself (if one doesn't consider the
> spyware that one agrees to have installed along with it), and the
> concept of peer-to-peer networking *are* perfectly legal. It's the use
> to which so many people put Kazaa that results in the illegalities.
>
> Think of it this way: A kitchen paring knife, in and of itself, is a
> perfectly legitimate and innocuous tool for anyone to own and use, when
> it's used for its designed purpose, peeling fruit and vegetables. If,
> however, one were to use that knife for some illegal purpose, such as
> attacking and injuring an annoying spouse/child/neighbor, is the knife
> at fault?
>
> Granted, the developers of Kazaa know perfectly well that their product
> will primarily be used for the purposes of illegally distributing
> copyrighted material, but they have what's known in political circles as
> "plausible deniability." Because there are some legitimate uses to
> which Kazaa can be put, its develops can successfully argue that it's
> not their fault that people misuse the tool they've provided. They're
> correct, but hardly innocent. If the developers of Kazaa were as
> innocent and altruistic as they have their users believe, why is their
> product full of spyware and adware?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

No.

tobegone wrote:
> ...is Kazaa 'Lite K++' any better/safer??

It's claimed to be, but I'm skeptical. It may lack most of the
built-in spyware, but it's still a huge security whole. You'll still be
giving everyone else with Kazaa direct access to your hard drive. Are
you really that willing to trust the whole world with the contents of
your hard drive?

Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
without integrity, and so cannot be trusted not to include viruses,
worms, Trojans, and more with anything they "share."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

johnf

I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been hacked
I think & now completely unusable.
Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.

--

johnf

> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
> it's totally legal. How can this be?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on your PC.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message news:u3OTWJfEFHA.2508@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been hacked
> I think & now completely unusable.
> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
>> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
>> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
>> it's totally legal. How can this be?

rush

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:22:38 -0500, Tom wrote:

> Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
> your PC.
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been
>> hacked I think & now completely unusable.
>> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
>>

>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
>>> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
>>> it's totally legal. How can this be?

Odd... After installing Ares, I didn't see anything come up in Ad-Aware or
HijackThis scans. If 'tons of spyware' was installed, one would think
something would show up?

Rush
http://www.bythedrop.com

johnf

For example?
That's the first thing I did on my 2nd. PC (which is for that purpose).
Nothing! AdAware, Spybot, cwsheddder - completely clean.

--

johnf

> Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
> your PC.
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been
>> hacked I think & now completely unusable.
>> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
>>

>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
>>> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
>>> it's totally legal. How can this be?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you use the free version? If so, check out your system for NavExcel, which is spyware:
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NavExcel.html

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message news:OIpg5rfEFHA.2232@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> For example?
> That's the first thing I did on my 2nd. PC (which is for that purpose).
> Nothing! AdAware, Spybot, cwsheddder - completely clean.
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
>> your PC.
>>
>> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>>> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been
>>> hacked I think & now completely unusable.
>>> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> johnf

rush

(top post fixed)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:21:00 -0500, Tom wrote:

> Did you use the free version? If so, check out your system for NavExcel,
> which is spyware: http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NavExcel.html

Freeware version:
It warns you about NavExcel under the support section of the website
and you can also opt out when installing Ares.

Given that, it would be hard to define it as spyware.

Rush
http://www.bythedrop.com

Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,

le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

> It's claimed to be, but I'm skeptical. It may lack most of the
>built-in spyware, but it's still a huge security whole. You'll still be
>giving everyone else with Kazaa direct access to your hard drive. Are
>you really that willing to trust the whole world with the contents of
>your hard drive?

What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless in
your use of language?

> Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
>facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
>people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
>without integrity,

Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.

I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally as
being entirely different from snooping through private papers.

In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to show
you that your view is somewhat eccentric.

> and so cannot be trusted not to include viruses,
>worms, Trojans, and more with anything they "share."

If they did, it would be more likely that they did so in ignorance rather
than malice. There are many differing views of what is honest and what is
dishonest.

That said, I've no intention of using or having anything to do with Kazaa.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Then why the comment?

"Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,
>
> le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>
>> It's claimed to be, but I'm skeptical. It may lack most of the
>>built-in spyware, but it's still a huge security whole. You'll still be
>>giving everyone else with Kazaa direct access to your hard drive. Are
>>you really that willing to trust the whole world with the contents of
>>your hard drive?
>
> What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
> never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless
> in
> your use of language?
>>
>> Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
>>facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
>>people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
>>without integrity,
>
> Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.
>
> I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally
> as
> being entirely different from snooping through private papers.
>
> In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
> no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
> etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
> regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
> obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to
> show
> you that your view is somewhat eccentric.
>
>> and so cannot be trusted not to include viruses,
>>worms, Trojans, and more with anything they "share."
>
> If they did, it would be more likely that they did so in ignorance rather
> than malice. There are many differing views of what is honest and what is
> dishonest.
>
> That said, I've no intention of using or having anything to do with Kazaa.
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

johnf

Spybot 1.3 pulled out 7 NavExcel zipfiles immediately - therefore, no
problems!

--

johnf

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Then why the comment?

The post could very easily been answerd without the pontificating. IMHO

Ian Hoare wrote:
> Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,
>
> le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>

> What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
> never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless in
> your use of language?

It's called "exaggeration for affect," and usually requires no explanation.

>> Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
>>facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
>>people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
>>without integrity,
>

> Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.
>
> I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally as
> being entirely different from snooping through private papers.
>
> In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
> no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
> etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
> regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
> obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to show
> you that your view is somewhat eccentric.

So you're saying that 90% of the world lacks integrity? And you're
calling my view-point extreme?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: