Kazaa

What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
totally legal. How can this be?
27 answers Last reply
More about kazaa

    Many files available for download from Kazaa are
    either incomplete or contain hidden viruses. I would
    encourage you not use use it.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Geoff A." wrote:

    | What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
    | to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    | totally legal. How can this be?

    Re read the wording. It states that using Kazaa is legal (which it is).
    It's when you use Kazaa to make available copyrighted material and material
    that you do not have the right to distribute that the legality becomes the
    issue. BTW, I can *GUARANTEE* that using Kazaa will compromise the security
    and integrity of your computer.

    Bobby

    In article <OWanRRGEFHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com, Geoff A. says...

    > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
    > to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    > totally legal. How can this be?

    Use.........N-E-W-S-G-R-O-U-P-S.........

    Kazaa *is* totally legal, but what some (many) users do with it is not. In
    the same way that owning a gun is legal, not all the *uses* of a gun are.

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    > peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    > totally legal. How can this be?

    If you want to update your viruses and spyware, Kazaa is for you.

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    > peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    > totally legal. How can this be?

    Kazaa's full of viruses, dummy files and all sorts of other nasties. Try
    Ares, much better.
    http://www.aresgalaxy.org/

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    > peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    > totally legal. How can this be?

    Kazaa is a great program for infecting your PC with
    viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, and you might get
    lucky enough to receive a trojan from the U.S. Government.

    Geoff A. wrote:
    > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a peer
    > to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    > totally legal. How can this be?

    The Kazaa application, in and of itself (if one doesn't consider the
    spyware that one agrees to have installed along with it), and the
    concept of peer-to-peer networking *are* perfectly legal. It's the use
    to which so many people put Kazaa that results in the illegalities.

    Think of it this way: A kitchen paring knife, in and of itself, is a
    perfectly legitimate and innocuous tool for anyone to own and use, when
    it's used for its designed purpose, peeling fruit and vegetables. If,
    however, one were to use that knife for some illegal purpose, such as
    attacking and injuring an annoying spouse/child/neighbor, is the knife
    at fault?

    Granted, the developers of Kazaa know perfectly well that their product
    will primarily be used for the purposes of illegally distributing
    copyrighted material, but they have what's known in political circles as
    "plausible deniability." Because there are some legitimate uses to
    which Kazaa can be put, its develops can successfully argue that it's
    not their fault that people misuse the tool they've provided. They're
    correct, but hardly innocent. If the developers of Kazaa were as
    innocent and altruistic as they have their users believe, why is their
    product full of spyware and adware?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  9. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ....is Kazaa 'Lite K++' any better/safer??
    > Geoff A. wrote:
    > > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    peer
    > > to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that it's
    > > totally legal. How can this be?
    > >

    > The Kazaa application, in and of itself (if one doesn't consider the
    > spyware that one agrees to have installed along with it), and the
    > concept of peer-to-peer networking *are* perfectly legal. It's the use
    > to which so many people put Kazaa that results in the illegalities.
    >
    > Think of it this way: A kitchen paring knife, in and of itself, is a
    > perfectly legitimate and innocuous tool for anyone to own and use, when
    > it's used for its designed purpose, peeling fruit and vegetables. If,
    > however, one were to use that knife for some illegal purpose, such as
    > attacking and injuring an annoying spouse/child/neighbor, is the knife
    > at fault?
    >
    > Granted, the developers of Kazaa know perfectly well that their product
    > will primarily be used for the purposes of illegally distributing
    > copyrighted material, but they have what's known in political circles as
    > "plausible deniability." Because there are some legitimate uses to
    > which Kazaa can be put, its develops can successfully argue that it's
    > not their fault that people misuse the tool they've provided. They're
    > correct, but hardly innocent. If the developers of Kazaa were as
    > innocent and altruistic as they have their users believe, why is their
    > product full of spyware and adware?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    No.

    tobegone wrote:
    > ...is Kazaa 'Lite K++' any better/safer??

    It's claimed to be, but I'm skeptical. It may lack most of the
    built-in spyware, but it's still a huge security whole. You'll still be
    giving everyone else with Kazaa direct access to your hard drive. Are
    you really that willing to trust the whole world with the contents of
    your hard drive?

    Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
    facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
    people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
    without integrity, and so cannot be trusted not to include viruses,
    worms, Trojans, and more with anything they "share."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been hacked
    I think & now completely unusable.
    Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.

    --

    johnf

    > What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    > peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
    > it's totally legal. How can this be?

    Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on your PC.

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:22:38 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
    > your PC.
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been
    >> hacked I think & now completely unusable.
    >> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    >>> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
    >>> it's totally legal. How can this be?

    Odd... After installing Ares, I didn't see anything come up in Ad-Aware or
    HijackThis scans. If 'tons of spyware' was installed, one would think
    something would show up?

    Rush
    http://www.bythedrop.com

    If Something's Too Good to be true, it probably is...

    http://home.comcast.net/~BDTRusnak/rusnakweb/kazaa_is_spyware.html
    BMR777
    www.rusnakweb.com

    For example?
    That's the first thing I did on my 2nd. PC (which is for that purpose).
    Nothing! AdAware, Spybot, cwsheddder - completely clean.

    --

    johnf

    > Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
    > your PC.
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been
    >> hacked I think & now completely unusable.
    >> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> What do people think about downloading software and other stuff from a
    >>> peer to peer networker like Kazaa? They assure you on their site that
    >>> it's totally legal. How can this be?

    Did you use the free version? If so, check out your system for NavExcel, which is spyware:
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NavExcel.html

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message news:OIpg5rfEFHA.2232@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > For example?
    > That's the first thing I did on my 2nd. PC (which is for that purpose).
    > Nothing! AdAware, Spybot, cwsheddder - completely clean.
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
    >> your PC.
    >>
    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >>> I've always used Kazaa Destop running through DietKaza, but it's been
    >>> hacked I think & now completely unusable.
    >>> Just tried the alternative mentioned (ARES) & it works fine.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    (top post fixed)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:21:00 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > Did you use the free version? If so, check out your system for NavExcel,
    > which is spyware: http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NavExcel.html

    Freeware version:
    It warns you about NavExcel under the support section of the website
    and you can also opt out when installing Ares.

    Given that, it would be hard to define it as spyware.

    Rush
    http://www.bythedrop.com
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,

    le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

    > It's claimed to be, but I'm skeptical. It may lack most of the
    >built-in spyware, but it's still a huge security whole. You'll still be
    >giving everyone else with Kazaa direct access to your hard drive. Are
    >you really that willing to trust the whole world with the contents of
    >your hard drive?

    What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
    never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless in
    your use of language?

    > Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
    >facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
    >people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
    >without integrity,

    Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.

    I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally as
    being entirely different from snooping through private papers.

    In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
    no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
    etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
    regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
    obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to show
    you that your view is somewhat eccentric.

    > and so cannot be trusted not to include viruses,
    >worms, Trojans, and more with anything they "share."

    If they did, it would be more likely that they did so in ignorance rather
    than malice. There are many differing views of what is honest and what is
    dishonest.

    That said, I've no intention of using or having anything to do with Kazaa.
    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Then why the comment?

    "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
    > Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,
    >
    > le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
    >
    >> It's claimed to be, but I'm skeptical. It may lack most of the
    >>built-in spyware, but it's still a huge security whole. You'll still be
    >>giving everyone else with Kazaa direct access to your hard drive. Are
    >>you really that willing to trust the whole world with the contents of
    >>your hard drive?
    >
    > What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
    > never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless
    > in
    > your use of language?
    >>
    >> Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
    >>facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
    >>people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
    >>without integrity,
    >
    > Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.
    >
    > I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally
    > as
    > being entirely different from snooping through private papers.
    >
    > In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
    > no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
    > etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
    > regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
    > obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to
    > show
    > you that your view is somewhat eccentric.
    >
    >> and so cannot be trusted not to include viruses,
    >>worms, Trojans, and more with anything they "share."
    >
    > If they did, it would be more likely that they did so in ignorance rather
    > than malice. There are many differing views of what is honest and what is
    > dishonest.
    >
    > That said, I've no intention of using or having anything to do with Kazaa.
    > --
    > All the Best
    > Ian Hoare
    > http://www.souvigne.com
    > mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Spybot 1.3 pulled out 7 NavExcel zipfiles immediately - therefore, no
    problems!

    --

    johnf

    > Did you use the free version? If so, check out your system for
    > NavExcel, which is spyware:
    > http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NavExcel.html
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> For example?
    >> That's the first thing I did on my 2nd. PC (which is for that purpose).
    >> Nothing! AdAware, Spybot, cwsheddder - completely clean.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> Yea, now check your system out for tons of spyware that Ares placed on
    >>> your PC.
    >>>
    >>> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Then why the comment?

    The post could very easily been answerd without the pontificating. IMHO
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ian Hoare wrote:
    > Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,
    >
    > le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
    >

    > What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
    > never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless in
    > your use of language?

    It's called "exaggeration for affect," and usually requires no explanation.

    >> Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
    >>facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
    >>people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
    >>without integrity,
    >

    > Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.
    >
    > I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally as
    > being entirely different from snooping through private papers.
    >
    > In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
    > no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
    > etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
    > regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
    > obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to show
    > you that your view is somewhat eccentric.

    So you're saying that 90% of the world lacks integrity? And you're
    calling my view-point extreme?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Agreed.

    > Ian Hoare wrote:
    >> Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers, le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:38:55 -0700, tu
    >> disais/you said:-
    >>

    >> What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
    >> never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless
    >> in
    >> your use of language?
    >>

    > It's called "exaggeration for affect," and usually requires no
    > explanation.
    >

    >>> Also remember, the primary purpose of both Kazaa and Kazaa Lite is to
    >>> facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The
    >>> people who are in the habit of such distribution would be completely
    >>> without integrity,
    >>

    >> Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.
    >>
    >> I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally
    >> as
    >> being entirely different from snooping through private papers. In fact I
    >> believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
    >> no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing
    >> material
    >> etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do
    >> not
    >> regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
    >> obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to
    >> show
    >> you that your view is somewhat eccentric.
    >>

    > So you're saying that 90% of the world lacks integrity? And you're
    > calling my view-point extreme?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Salut/Hi "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>,

    le/on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:58:51 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

    >Then why the comment?

    Why not? Or is one not supposed to query the revealed truth according to a
    MVP. I don't agree with Bruce's black and white vision of honesty and I feel
    I'm entitled to say so.
    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Bruce is among two MVPs here that preclude guilt before innocence, and are software police as well. Too much time on their hands really!

    "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message news:l94211tu55jttebstknmhn2vtq95qlq2ed@4ax.com...
    > Salut/Hi "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>,
    >
    > le/on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:58:51 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
    >
    >>Then why the comment?
    >
    > Why not? Or is one not supposed to query the revealed truth according to a
    > MVP. I don't agree with Bruce's black and white vision of honesty and I feel
    > I'm entitled to say so.
    > --
    > All the Best
    > Ian Hoare
    > http://www.souvigne.com
    > mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Salut/Hi Bruce Chambers,

    >> What? Including Mbongo Mbongo in Uganda, who has no electricity, and has
    >> never heard of computers. Don't you think you're being a _touch_ careless in
    >> your use of language?

    > It's called "exaggeration for affect," and usually requires no explanation.

    If I may be thoroughly pedantic to match your stuffiness.

    It's called hyperbole, and as such it's always worthy of adverse comment.
    Furthermore it's not "affect", but "effect." (Just because I don't know much
    about XP doesn't make my illiterate, and just because you usually give
    _excellent_ advice about technical matters doesn't put you above criticism.)

    >> Hmm, Bruce, that's rather an extreme view.
    >>
    >> I guess 90% of the population would regard copying a pop record illegally as
    >> being entirely different from snooping through private papers.
    >>
    >> In fact I believe that statistically, something like 90% of employees have
    >> no sense of wrong in "relieving" their employer of paper, writing material
    >> etc, nor in making private phone calls/emails on company time. They do not
    >> regard such as theft (in the case of office material) or dishonestly
    >> obtaining services. I'm not saying I agree with them, merely trying to show
    >> you that your view is somewhat eccentric.
    >
    > So you're saying that 90% of the world lacks integrity? And you're
    >calling my view-point extreme?

    No. I'm saying that I have read surveys that have shown what I quoted. I've
    differentiated between what I suspect to be true (downloading legally or
    illegally) and in quoting what I've read, sought to give my reasons for a
    more nuanced view of the world. You're the one tying that to integrity, I'm
    merely saying that I feel your view of what is and isn't honest is too black
    and white.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare