Sign in with
Your question

This site sux -- i don't get it

Tags:
  • Website Opinions
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Site Feedback
January 28, 2013 7:09:51 PM

i've done a good amount of reading thru the forums... Only a little bit of posting...

I happened to find a post that may have been similar to my situation...

Basically, someone had trouble installing Windows 7, but not Windows 8.

One of the people helping out the original poster had suggested that there may be something wrong with the retail media, and they suggested a possible fix: install using a USB...

Now... there weren't any details added... Just a link... I was curious... So i clicked the link and read about how to install Windows 7 via the USB... Now, upon reading thru it... the instructions said to use the retail media to prepare the USB...

Now, i don't know about the average person, but for ME, that raises a HUGE RED FLAG...

If there's something wrong with the retail DVD (corrupted or damaged), then how is using said defective media to create a USB going to work ?

...Fast foward to right now, i wanted to check that thread... but i don't see any site functionality to find it...

i posted in the thread... So searching my name should work, right ? NOPE

Most forums have functionality to find all the threads you've posted in... tomshardware seems to only list threads that i've started... it does NOT list threads that i've replied to...

it does have the function to display a list of threads that i've read... but i've read WAY TOO MANY to be able to find this one...

This is aggravating NOT being able to find that thread to see if there's an answer to my question... Something so simply that every forum i've ever seen on the web has this basic functionality, but tomshardware does not ? i don't get it ? how has this forum survived so long without basic functionality ?

effing smilies on the side, but a search of a user's name has 0 results ? WTF ?

garbage.

More about : site sux

January 29, 2013 4:56:16 AM

If you look through the relevant sub-Forums - Windows 7 and 8 - you should find a blue marker beside any thread into which you posted and which has been added to since. The "Find all posts" search facility has been broken all the time I've been using Tom's but is being fixed as part of the new platform being introduced any day now.

Stick around - Tom's is a good source of help and advice and you're welcome to contribute your own. Things are about to get a lot better around here.
January 29, 2013 12:36:21 PM

Saga Lout's answer is spot on here.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 10:22:36 PM

thanks for the help Saga Lout...

i do hope things get better...

hopefully they'll change the search function so that it'll include usernames...

i think i finally was able to find the post, but it took forever... And there was no response to my inquiry... I guess once someone selects a Best Answer, people stop reading at that point, eventho i believe that i raised a valid concern on the subject matter.

Demidov
(imma have to start signing my posts to make them easier to find)
January 30, 2013 6:00:08 AM

Best Answer threads should theoretically be read more than the rest because it shows a possibility of a fix. Can you post a link to your thread, please?

January 30, 2013 2:37:25 PM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/67274-47-cannot-ins...

Now, hedwar2011 didn't explicitly come out and say: "use the bad DvD media to create a USB installation disc..." But he gave a link with instructions... Which DOES say to use the DVD to create a USB... umm, HELLO !!! wake up people !

Yes, i'm sure threads labeled "Best Answer" are read more... but the Best Answer is listed as the 2nd post... And i'm sure a lot of people stop reading there.

i had search thru 5 pages of threads to find it, ugh... It's so much easier to find posts on other forums.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/ comes to mind as one example...

Anyways, imma just have to sign all the posts that i wish to find later (since a simple search by name won't suffice).

Also, i'm new here... so i'm still learning... but one thing i've recently noticed are "Locked Threads."

Locked threads are annoying to me... Who is locking these threads ? Moderators ? the OP ?

As an example, i'll use

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/67341-47-computer-s...

these kind of shyt is aggravating as heck... in my situation, i got BSOD stop error... So naturally, in the course of troubleshooting and diagnostics, i did MANY fresh installs... Which led to me getting the same message (windows is not genuine)...

BUT... i paid $140 on Newegg for my copy of windows... So i have personal first-hand knowledge that more needs to be added to that discussion... People are not getting the whole truth... They simply assume piracy, when in fact, you can get that message after doing many fresh installs.

In which case, it provides a link for resolution... and says to call Microsoft if you're having problems.

Prematurely locking threads is not a good way to run a forum... The audacity of these people locking threads... to think that they know more than the thousands of forum members ? That their interpretation is the only one that counts ?

I've already shown one example where it leads to incomplete information... And i'm new, so if i keep reading, i'm sure i can find many, many other examples.

Demidov
January 30, 2013 5:10:06 PM

The thread is marked Solved but is not closed so someone may come back and suggest it was perhaps the lens on the OP's optical device. The important thing is that the OP fixed his problem with help from the poster, to whom he gave the Best Answer. The BA is always the only good answer and in some cases, not even the best answer. In one thread a year or so back, I posted some advice and someone came in afterwards merely saying he agreed with me and HE got the BA!

The main thing is the Forum gets known for good advice and we all learn from reading those threads.
February 3, 2013 3:23:05 AM

Saga Lout said:
The thread is marked Solved but is not closed so someone may come back and suggest it was perhaps the lens on the OP's optical device. The important thing is that the OP fixed his problem with help from the poster, to whom he gave the Best Answer. The BA is always the only good answer and in some cases, not even the best answer. In one thread a year or so back, I posted some advice and someone came in afterwards merely saying he agreed with me and HE got the BA!

The main thing is the Forum gets known for good advice and we all learn from reading those threads.

i'm new here... so i was starting to think perhaps i'm jumping to conclusions too soon... and i need to slow down and learn the ins & outs of the Toms forum...

But on the Windows 7 installation thread, someone deleted my post and locked the thread...

Now, if some1 is else (like me) is having trouble installation Windows 7, then i think it would be good to have multiple suggestions in the same thread... So that people searching & reading the forums for trouble-shooting steps can have other answers at their disposal...

BECAUSE... let me put it this way: That 1st suggestion may not have worked... in which case, you'd go down the line on the trouble-shooting steps... And let's say 100 people read a particular thread looking for clues to solve their particular problem... the Best Answer is not going to work for all 100 people... a certain percentage will have to goto the next step in the diagnostic process...

And deleting my post was a disservice to everyone having problems that the BA couldn't solve.

The Tomshardware forums are much different than other forums i've used... i've already given some examples in my previous post above... Yet another example: Most forums want you to do a search 1st before you post...

By deleting posts and locking threads, the Moderators are pretty much saying: "Sorry the Best Answer didn't solve your problem even though you were having the same issue. Post deleted. Thread Locked. Create your own thread for the same exact topic." --It's pretty much an anti-incentive to search 1st, then post.

Deleting posts & locking threads is also stopping further inquiry and discussion.

Now, as i said: i was starting to think that my initial assessment may have been made hastily out of ignorance and frustration... But can anyone please explain to me #1. Why my post was deleted when it didn't violate any rules ? #2. And explain to me how the facts can be interpreted any other way than further evidence that this site sucks ?

The initial claim: This site sucks. That was my initial impression (opinion). What facts do i use to support my opinion ? #1. The Administrators are overzealous in their forum moderation and overstep their bounds by deleting posts that do not violate any rules. #2. The search box lacks the very basic functionality to search the site database for usernames. #3. The moderators lock threads.

jpishgar said:
Saga Lout's answer is spot on here.

dude, did you delete my post ? (jpishgar) Or was it Mousemonkey ? Why was my post deleted when it didn't violate any rules and it did not deviate from the original topic of the OP ?

How do you justify locking threads & deleting posts that do not violate the rules ? (Please, this is not a rhetorical question, i am VERY curious... please explain).

Wow, just when i'm ready to admit that i'm wrong, this kind of thing happens...
February 3, 2013 3:29:09 AM

And btw, "Best Answer" implies that there are "other" answers that people might want to read about (...especially when the BA doesn't work... maybe one of the "Other Answers" will work).
February 3, 2013 5:25:23 AM

If Mousemonkey was involved and if he reads this, he'll speak for himself The thread you linked to in the Windows 7 sub-Forum was quite clearly closed by another Mod because it involved piracy which no responsible Forum would support. I suppose if we find a Best Answer which doesn't help us will just go on searching. Computing is such a broad subject, two or more problems that look the same will often have completely different solutions.
February 3, 2013 4:20:52 PM

Saga Lout said:
...The thread you linked to in the Windows 7 sub-Forum was quite clearly closed by another Mod because it involved piracy

Saga Lout,
demidov said:

But on the Windows 7 installation thread...

sorry, i should have been more clear and posted the link again... i wasn't referring to the 3rd link, i was talking about the 1st link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/67274-63-cannot-insta...

OP was having problems installing Windows 7.

And as far as the 3rd link, i can replicate the issue of the OP with a 100% legit copy of windows... So i can tell you that people are jumping to conclusions on particular problem... Yes, there's a chance it could have been a downloaded copy with no key or license, but that it not always the case. Now, if the OP paid for Windows and got that error message, then because the thread is locked, he cannot refute the assumptions that people jump to, and he cannot get the help he was looking for (on Toms at least... he'll have to go elsewhere for help).

My post was quite long, and i addressed a lot of issues in it...

i may not be effectively communicating to the Moderators...

Lemme attempt this with other words: Take Gordon Ramsey for example, he frequently says that he doesn't want compliments... he's more interested in the complaints (so that he can fix them).

So i think we have a scenario where something is broken and needs to be fixed... Or, we have a complete noob (me) that doesn't know what the faq he's talking about and obviously needs help or needs to be corrected. Or possibly a combination of the two.... Either way, i would like to hear a response from the Admins and/or Moderators and the issues i've raised:

demidov said:

By deleting posts and locking threads, the Moderators are pretty much saying: "Sorry the Best Answer didn't solve your problem even though you were having the same issue. Post deleted. Thread Locked. Create your own thread for the same exact topic." --It's pretty much an anti-incentive to search 1st, then post.

Deleting posts & locking threads is also stopping further inquiry and discussion.

Now, as i said: i was starting to think that my initial assessment may have been made hastily out of ignorance and frustration... But can anyone please explain to me #1. Why my post was deleted when it didn't violate any rules ? #2. And explain to me how the facts can be interpreted any other way than further evidence that this site sucks ?

The initial claim: This site sucks. That was my initial impression (opinion). What facts do i use to support my opinion ? #1. The Administrators are overzealous in their forum moderation and overstep their bounds by deleting posts that do not violate any rules. #2. The search box lacks the very basic functionality to search the site database for usernames. #3. The moderators lock threads.

dude, did you delete my post ? (jpishgar) Or was it Mousemonkey ? Why was my post deleted when it didn't violate any rules and it did not deviate from the original topic of the OP ?

How do you justify locking threads & deleting posts that do not violate the rules ? (Please, this is not a rhetorical question, i am VERY curious... please explain).

Wow, just when i'm ready to admit that i'm wrong, this kind of thing happens...

February 3, 2013 8:12:38 PM

As far as the question of possible piracy is concerned I will always err on the side of caution and close or delete the thread and if the thread is an old thread that has been long dead and then gets dragged up (like the one you posted in) then I'll delete the necro post and close the thread, now I can't speak for everyone else but I don't care for your attitude that everyone but you is wrong and so don't care if you get upset.
February 4, 2013 2:26:48 AM

Mousemonkey said:
As far as the question of possible piracy is concerned I will always err on the side of caution and close or delete the thread and if the thread is an old thread that has been long dead and then gets dragged up (like the one you posted in) then I'll delete the necro post and close the thread, now I can't speak for everyone else but I don't care for your attitude that everyone but you is wrong and so don't care if you get upset.

well, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the problem is that the 1st post was on 1-27-2013 and the last post was on 1-27-2013... now, i can't see the date that i posted, but we're talking about a timespan of a few days at most... So i'm curious what constitutes an old thread ? In other words, how long does it take for a thread to become "old... and long dead ?" I'm also curious why you do that ? (delete the necro post and close the thread)

At first, i thought you just deleted my post outta retribution that i posted this thread ?

One last point: I did mention two scenarios... one of them being that i'm a "complete noob" who doesn't have a clue... And Saga Lout posted a reply with helpful info about the colored flags (basically implying that i was wrong about my initial claims)... and i believe i thanked him for it... being called wrong isn't going to upset me... i don't think that there is much that can upset me... Indeed, in several instances, i was basically saying: 'please tell me that i'm wrong.'

Now, it was a little frustrating not being able to find specific threads easily... but i don't have an attitude... I think with the written word, it's easy to misinterpret... I think one can only assess actual negative attitude via their tone, demeanor, and facial expressions. But hey, don't quote me on this, because i might be wrong. (See, i'm perfectly ready to admit that i'm wrong). One exception off the top of my head might be Freudian Projection: Where one perceives an opponent to have attributes that really describes ones self: Most notably, this phenomenon can be found in name-calling.

So... sorry if my frustration seemed like it was projecting an attitude... that was unintentional.

As a final question (out of curiosity and trying to understand): Why don't you like people posting in "old threads ?" And how long does it take for a thread to become labelled as "old ?"

Thanks in advance to any Moderators or Admins that respond.
February 4, 2013 12:52:08 PM

I was a bit hammered last night and seemed to have got you mixed up with someone else who keeps dragging up old threads, sorry about that.
February 4, 2013 12:53:36 PM

An "old" thread is one around about 60-90 days or greater. Threads might be closed as well that have run their course, and that's at the discretion of the moderation team. Hope this answers your question!
March 8, 2013 9:28:21 PM

as a top 100 poster and long time user on this forum perhaps i can offer a few words.

when it comes to piracy we have zero tolerance. i have noticed posts which fall into a grey zone which could fall either way depending on the situation. i have seen some threads closed which could be legitimate when perhaps they should not have been but its a touchy subject. if in doubt i may give some basic instructions which require more research but at least point the poster in the right direction. of course i am not suggesting your posts are questionable just making a statement on why such things happen.

the blue flags do appear next to any thread to which you have replied. this is how i keep track of threads i am currently following. it works...most of the time. clicking the my threads button does also seem to work and lists all of the threads i've posted in or started in the particular subforum. its a bit clunky though. keep in mind that not all browsers and versions may perform the same. you can also substribe to email alerts which provides a link to your thread when you get a response. i dont like the spam mail but if you dont mind its a good way to know when you get a hit.

generally speaking old threads are 30-90 days. however in some cases the thread may be continued for quite a long time if there is constant activity. i try to think about it as 30-90 days of inactivity instead of actual time from topic creation. there have been numerous attempts at thread hijacking or necroing threads (such as a thread 3 years ago). again, not pointing a finger at you just stating what i've seen.

---

as to your question perhaps there is a problem with the install disc. if this is the case you can request a replacement copy or download the iso file to make your own from windows. unless there is a known issue with installing w8 from disk i do not think a usb drive is a solution.

if you could create a well detailed post and link me to it via PM (suggested) or pm me the details (not suggested since nobody else can get involved) i can see if anything comes to mind.

please list:

-system specs
-issue details
-steps you took along the way and things you have tried
-which drivers you downloaded and if they are w8 supported
-anything else which is pertinent.

i'm not promising a solution but if you link me i will take a look at it when i get a chance.

sidenote:
i have seen defective media before. on a 64bit system win vista64 refused to install from disk but vista32 did.

!