Failed to Open Group Policy Object - The Parameter is inco..

Both a Domain Admin and member of Administrators cannot edit Group Policy
from ADUC. I; however, with the same level of permissions am able to edit
it.

Here is what they get for an error message:

I get the following error when trying to open a Group
Policy Object with in GPMC:
Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have
appropriate rights. Details: The parameter is incorrect

Any ideas? Let me know.

Thanks, Toni P.
4
answers
Last reply
More about failed open group policy object parameter inco

    Hi Toni

    I assume this issue doesn't occur if they open mmc.exe and add the Group
    Policy snap-in? If so, ensure that the following is true:

    Check to see whether the path for "Default" under
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command is correct. This value should
    be a REG_EXPAND_SZ (not REG_SZ) and should have the value:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe "%1" %*

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "tpenn" <tpenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Both a Domain Admin and member of Administrators cannot edit Group Policy
    > from ADUC. I; however, with the same level of permissions am able to edit
    > it.
    >
    > Here is what they get for an error message:
    >
    > I get the following error when trying to open a Group
    > Policy Object with in GPMC:
    > Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have
    > appropriate rights. Details: The parameter is incorrect
    >
    > Any ideas? Let me know.
    >
    > Thanks, Toni P.

    Yes, this is true on the server. What could I try next?

    I look forward to anyone's reply on this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Toni

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi Toni
    >
    > I assume this issue doesn't occur if they open mmc.exe and add the Group
    > Policy snap-in? If so, ensure that the following is true:
    >
    > Check to see whether the path for "Default" under
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command is correct. This value should
    > be a REG_EXPAND_SZ (not REG_SZ) and should have the value:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe "%1" %*
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > "tpenn" <tpenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Both a Domain Admin and member of Administrators cannot edit Group Policy
    > > from ADUC. I; however, with the same level of permissions am able to edit
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Here is what they get for an error message:
    > >
    > > I get the following error when trying to open a Group
    > > Policy Object with in GPMC:
    > > Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have
    > > appropriate rights. Details: The parameter is incorrect
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Let me know.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Toni P.

    Mark,

    Actually, this was not the case on my colleagues system. He can edit now;
    however, now he is getting the following message "The following entry in the
    [strings] section is too long and has been truncated".

    He clicks OK and the message pops us about 20 more times and then he can
    work. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this? Let me know.

    Thanks,

    Toni P.

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi Toni
    >
    > I assume this issue doesn't occur if they open mmc.exe and add the Group
    > Policy snap-in? If so, ensure that the following is true:
    >
    > Check to see whether the path for "Default" under
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command is correct. This value should
    > be a REG_EXPAND_SZ (not REG_SZ) and should have the value:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe "%1" %*
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > "tpenn" <tpenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Both a Domain Admin and member of Administrators cannot edit Group Policy
    > > from ADUC. I; however, with the same level of permissions am able to edit
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Here is what they get for an error message:
    > >
    > > I get the following error when trying to open a Group
    > > Policy Object with in GPMC:
    > > Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have
    > > appropriate rights. Details: The parameter is incorrect
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Let me know.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Toni P.

    Hi Toni

    This looks relevant:

    842933 "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has
    been
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842933

    Kind regards
    --

    > Mark,
    >
    > Actually, this was not the case on my colleagues system. He can edit now;
    > however, now he is getting the following message "The following entry in
    > the
    > [strings] section is too long and has been truncated".
    >
    > He clicks OK and the message pops us about 20 more times and then he can
    > work. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this? Let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Toni P.
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Toni
    >>
    >> I assume this issue doesn't occur if they open mmc.exe and add the Group
    >> Policy snap-in? If so, ensure that the following is true:
    >>
    >> Check to see whether the path for "Default" under
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command is correct. This value
    >> should
    >> be a REG_EXPAND_SZ (not REG_SZ) and should have the value:
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe "%1" %*
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "tpenn" <tpenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Both a Domain Admin and member of Administrators cannot edit Group
    >> > Policy
    >> > from ADUC. I; however, with the same level of permissions am able to
    >> > edit
    >> > it.
    >> >
    >> > Here is what they get for an error message:
    >> >
    >> > I get the following error when trying to open a Group
    >> > Policy Object with in GPMC:
    >> > Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have
    >> > appropriate rights. Details: The parameter is incorrect
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas? Let me know.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Toni P.

Policy Domain Microsoft Error Message Permissions Windows