  • Boot
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 11, 2005 2:29:04 PM

After I had reinstalled my WinXp I am unable to boot-in. Just after BIOS
startup for booting I get an error message "Error loading system". However I
can boot in using a utility, "UBCD" CD and using its option to boot from Hard
Disk -0. Just now I am connected to net after booting through it. Again I
find it surprising that an extra drive is shown when I open my computer. I
have two HD of 40 GB each partitoned into four drive of 20 GB each. Before
the drive letter were C,D,E & F, but now an extra drive vide C,D, E,F, &G is
shown when opening MY computer. On examining the properties of D drive its
shown as 0 GB. Further when I look into the storage information vide the
Computer Management Console it show only four drive namely C,E,G and F. When
I try to format/change the drive letters of D its not allowed.

Its very frusturating! can anyone help plz.
My OS is WinXP (Pro), P-IV 3.1GHz Two 40 GB HD, Samsung DVD Combodrive and
LG CD-RW with 768 MB Ram.

More about : boot

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:09:08 PM

Try booting to the Recovery Console and run FIXBOOT

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I had reinstalled my WinXp I am unable to boot-in. Just after BIOS
> startup for booting I get an error message "Error loading system".
However I
> can boot in using a utility, "UBCD" CD and using its option to boot from
Hard
> Disk -0. Just now I am connected to net after booting through it. Again I
> find it surprising that an extra drive is shown when I open my computer. I
> have two HD of 40 GB each partitoned into four drive of 20 GB each. Before
> the drive letter were C,D,E & F, but now an extra drive vide C,D, E,F, &G
is
> shown when opening MY computer. On examining the properties of D drive its
> shown as 0 GB. Further when I look into the storage information vide the
> Computer Management Console it show only four drive namely C,E,G and F.
When
> I try to format/change the drive letters of D its not allowed.
>
> Its very frusturating! can anyone help plz.
> My OS is WinXP (Pro), P-IV 3.1GHz Two 40 GB HD, Samsung DVD Combodrive and
> LG CD-RW with 768 MB Ram.
February 12, 2005 1:37:16 PM

Hi Harry,

I tiried Recovery Console, but it wouldn't work. Finally after much trial
and error I found it was the BIOS. I had made the second HD the first bootup
disk. Now after fixing it I can boot in normally, however the Extra Drive 'D'
remained, so to fix it I formatted the second HD and partioned it. The
partioned drive is shown as 'G' & 'H' though I would like it to be 'E' & 'F'.
But 'E' & 'F' is assigned to my two CD ROMs so changing it to my desired
Drive letter is not availabel. My question is how do I change my HD1
partioned drive to 'E' and 'F'

Thanks
February 12, 2005 4:48:07 PM

Leave it alone. The lettering will not affect performance and this is a
normal lettering scheme. Your system is normal.

> Hi Harry,
>
> I tiried Recovery Console, but it wouldn't work. Finally after much trial
> and error I found it was the BIOS. I had made the second HD the first
> bootup
> disk. Now after fixing it I can boot in normally, however the Extra Drive
> 'D'
> remained, so to fix it I formatted the second HD and partioned it. The
> partioned drive is shown as 'G' & 'H' though I would like it to be 'E' &
> 'F'.
> But 'E' & 'F' is assigned to my two CD ROMs so changing it to my desired
> Drive letter is not availabel. My question is how do I change my HD1
> partioned drive to 'E' and 'F'
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 6:53:11 PM

To change the letters use the Computer Management Console. Right click My
Computer and select Manage. From the left pane click on Disk Management. In
the right pane use the right-mouse button to select your CD-Rom device and
choose Change drive letter and path. Now change the drive letter to
something higher. Do the same for the second CD-Rom device.
Now use the same process to change your partitions to E & F as you would
like. Finally you can change the CD-Rom devices again to reflect G & H or
just leave them with the higher letters.

Be aware that doing this will likely cause System File Checker to have
trouble locating your XP CD is you ever have to use it. You can use a small
registry hack to point the Installation Device to the new drive letter if
you wish. To do that follow these instructions
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833615 and change the SourcePath to the
location of the CD-Rom device you'd use.