What is this CHIP ? Can you answer ?

LordGeek

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I purchased this Intel CPU from a online retailer .. it was to be a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 OEM !! It however registers as a Core 2 Duo E6800 !! The specs as to 2.93GHz and Cache of 4MB .. but the marking (branding) on the chip are not normal .. here are the pics .. can anyone tell me what the he11 thay sent me ?

20-01-07_1557.jpg

20-01-07_1558.jpg

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I purchased this Intel CPU from a online retailer .. it was to be a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 OEM !! It however registers as a Core 2 Duo E6800 !! The specs as to 2.93GHz and Cache of 4MB .. but the marking (branding) on the chip are not normal .. here are the pics .. can anyone tell me what the he11 thay sent me ?

20-01-07_1558.jpg

20-01-07_1557.jpg

A retailer sold you that? Thats an engineering sample and it looks used at that. Id ship it back for a refund.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, that heatspreader has some serious mileage. As an engineering sample this chip told your mobo it was an E6800, a sign it was produced before Intel finalized the model number.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yeah, that heatspreader has some serious mileage. As an engineering sample this chip told your mobo it was an E6800, a sign it was produced before Intel finalized the model number.

Yup. Theres still thermal paste on it as well.

What JumpingJack said. Theyre not to be sold. No reputable retailer would sell that. It has no factory warrenty. Unless, as JJ said you got it for for a song and were aware there was no warrenty .

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Intel is actually a good company to customers who are honest.. report that chip to them (the serial number will determine who was supposed to be responsible for it), and Intel will likely give you a fantastic deal - likely a retail X6800/QX6700 for free for reporting the company breaking the agreement for having an ES..

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Return it if you can. You were sent an ES CPU, as most have said.

The Intel Confidential gives it away pretty quickly, since I have 3 of them myself.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Intel has been known to take care of people who turn in stray ES like this, especially when they've been suckered into buying them. I'm not calling you a sucker at all, you had no idea.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Intel has been known to take care of people who turn in stray ES like this, especially when they've been suckered into buying them. I'm not calling you a sucker at all, you had no idea.

Me or the OP?

I got mine thru Intel. :D

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Perhaps we do, they just don't broadcast it to the world. After all, this is not the best time to be part of the green team.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Perhaps we do, they just don't broadcast it to the world. After all, this is not the best time to be part of the green team.

Eh, as long as youre not Hector Riuz or Phil hester the time is fine. I still want to know what was in their pipes when they OK'd 4x4. AMD makes fine products and its not the employees faults the prices are not quite as competitive as they should be. Hell...thats Intels fault.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I should not say anything about the 2 E6700s I have sitting around then :oops:

Free unlocked chips rock :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What I want to know is, why dont we have any AMD employees on the board?
Actually, that's a very interesting point. I wonder if AMD has any chips to spare.... I remember people complaining about no one getting any 4x4 systems to review??

32nano_meter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I should not say anything about the 2 E6700s I have sitting around then :oops:

Free unlocked chips rock :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What I want to know is, why dont we have any AMD employees on the board?
Actually, that's a very interesting point. I wonder if AMD has any chips to spare.... I remember people complaining about no one getting any 4x4 systems to review??

The GOV, Dell, and AMD are hording them for the..back to sch... Chris...errr... you know, Valentine's shopping season?? :roll: :wink: :lol:

I kid.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, this is a used engineering sample --- ship it back immediately and get your money back.

Of course, unless you paid a very small amount you may want to boot it up and see what you get. If the multpliers are unlocked ok....

Er, I thought all X6800's were unlocked. Part of Intel's justification for charging so much for it's "extreme" processors.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

Eh, as long as youre not Hector Riuz or Phil hester the time is fine. I still want to know what was in their pipes when they OK'd 4x4. AMD makes fine products and its not the employees faults the prices are not quite as competitive as they should be. Hell...thats Intels fault.

I see that as 'green' with envy....

Er, I thought all X6800's were unlocked. Part of Intel's justification for charging so much for it's "extreme" processors.

Well, that's an ES anyway...But I can see why JJ asked that...it registered as E6800, not X6800, so you might wonder.....

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

20-01-07_1558.jpg

20-01-07_1557.jpg

How much did you pay for it? if you tell me +$950, then RETURN IT NOW! get your money back and inform intel about this, wait for your reward :)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Lordgeek

It would be very interesting to know what the outcome of this is. i.e. are you going to keep it, ship it back, call Intel etc, and what the results are. Some of us would be interested if you would be kind enough to update us.

Thanx

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I see that as 'green' with envy....

:lol: :lol: :lol: