Sign in with
Your question

What is this CHIP ? Can you answer ?

Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2007 4:51:12 AM

I purchased this Intel CPU from a online retailer .. it was to be a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 OEM !! It however registers as a Core 2 Duo E6800 !! The specs as to 2.93GHz and Cache of 4MB .. but the marking (branding) on the chip are not normal .. here are the pics .. can anyone tell me what the he11 thay sent me ?

More about : chip answer

January 21, 2007 4:55:30 AM

Quote:
I purchased this Intel CPU from a online retailer .. it was to be a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 OEM !! It however registers as a Core 2 Duo E6800 !! The specs as to 2.93GHz and Cache of 4MB .. but the marking (branding) on the chip are not normal .. here are the pics .. can anyone tell me what the he11 thay sent me ?

A retailer sold you that? Thats an engineering sample and it looks used at that. Id ship it back for a refund.
January 21, 2007 5:03:05 AM

Yeah, that heatspreader has some serious mileage. As an engineering sample this chip told your mobo it was an E6800, a sign it was produced before Intel finalized the model number.
Related resources
January 21, 2007 5:08:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that heatspreader has some serious mileage. As an engineering sample this chip told your mobo it was an E6800, a sign it was produced before Intel finalized the model number.

Yup. Theres still thermal paste on it as well.

What JumpingJack said. Theyre not to be sold. No reputable retailer would sell that. It has no factory warrenty. Unless, as JJ said you got it for for a song and were aware there was no warrenty .
January 21, 2007 5:33:05 AM

Intel is actually a good company to customers who are honest.. report that chip to them (the serial number will determine who was supposed to be responsible for it), and Intel will likely give you a fantastic deal - likely a retail X6800/QX6700 for free for reporting the company breaking the agreement for having an ES..
January 21, 2007 2:19:38 PM

Where did you buy that CPU? Someone's about to get a stern talking-to.
January 21, 2007 5:01:14 PM

Return it if you can. You were sent an ES CPU, as most have said.

The Intel Confidential gives it away pretty quickly, since I have 3 of them myself.
January 21, 2007 5:05:59 PM

Intel has been known to take care of people who turn in stray ES like this, especially when they've been suckered into buying them. I'm not calling you a sucker at all, you had no idea.
January 21, 2007 5:10:27 PM

Quote:
Intel has been known to take care of people who turn in stray ES like this, especially when they've been suckered into buying them. I'm not calling you a sucker at all, you had no idea.

Me or the OP?

I got mine thru Intel. :D 
January 21, 2007 5:39:51 PM

Awesome, isn't it? :D 
January 21, 2007 6:11:22 PM

Quote:
Awesome, isn't it? :D 

Oh,

You 2 arent going to turn this thread into an intel employee love fest now, are you? :roll:

:wink: :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
January 21, 2007 6:23:07 PM

I should not say anything about the 2 E6700s I have sitting around then :oops: 

Free unlocked chips rock :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
January 21, 2007 6:23:51 PM

Quote:

Oh they're free? Cool, I'll PM you my address, :lol: 
January 21, 2007 6:40:15 PM

Quote:

I think its safe to say the ES on that label stands for Engineering Sample
January 21, 2007 7:56:45 PM

Quote:

What I want to know is, why dont we have any AMD employees on the board?
January 21, 2007 8:05:12 PM

Perhaps we do, they just don't broadcast it to the world. After all, this is not the best time to be part of the green team.
January 21, 2007 8:08:51 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we do, they just don't broadcast it to the world. After all, this is not the best time to be part of the green team.

Eh, as long as youre not Hector Riuz or Phil hester the time is fine. I still want to know what was in their pipes when they OK'd 4x4. AMD makes fine products and its not the employees faults the prices are not quite as competitive as they should be. Hell...thats Intels fault.
January 21, 2007 8:11:51 PM

Quote:

Actually, that's a very interesting point. I wonder if AMD has any chips to spare.... I remember people complaining about no one getting any 4x4 systems to review??
January 21, 2007 8:41:20 PM

Quote:

Actually, that's a very interesting point. I wonder if AMD has any chips to spare.... I remember people complaining about no one getting any 4x4 systems to review??

The GOV, Dell, and AMD are hording them for the..back to sch... Chris...errr... you know, Valentine's shopping season?? :roll: :wink: :lol: 

I kid.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2007 9:02:41 PM

Quote:

Yep, this is a used engineering sample --- ship it back immediately and get your money back.

Of course, unless you paid a very small amount you may want to boot it up and see what you get. If the multpliers are unlocked ok....

Er, I thought all X6800's were unlocked. Part of Intel's justification for charging so much for it's "extreme" processors.
January 21, 2007 9:31:48 PM

Quote:

Eh, as long as youre not Hector Riuz or Phil hester the time is fine. I still want to know what was in their pipes when they OK'd 4x4. AMD makes fine products and its not the employees faults the prices are not quite as competitive as they should be. Hell...thats Intels fault.

I see that as 'green' with envy....

Quote:
Er, I thought all X6800's were unlocked. Part of Intel's justification for charging so much for it's "extreme" processors.

Well, that's an ES anyway...But I can see why JJ asked that...it registered as E6800, not X6800, so you might wonder.....
January 21, 2007 9:31:49 PM

Quote:

How much did you pay for it? if you tell me +$950, then RETURN IT NOW! get your money back and inform intel about this, wait for your reward :) 
January 21, 2007 9:51:04 PM

Lordgeek

It would be very interesting to know what the outcome of this is. i.e. are you going to keep it, ship it back, call Intel etc, and what the results are. Some of us would be interested if you would be kind enough to update us.

Thanx
January 21, 2007 9:53:05 PM

Quote:

I see that as 'green' with envy....

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
January 21, 2007 9:57:23 PM

thats a nice idea ;) 
January 21, 2007 10:07:10 PM

Wow, the OP is actually LUCKY I think. He may get a better processor out of this...
-cm
January 21, 2007 10:14:02 PM

I know, thats what Im saying.

I just wonder what retailer sold him that? :?
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2007 10:26:31 PM

Oh, I thought you were using an unlocked status as a benefit compared to X6800's...
January 21, 2007 10:29:06 PM

Why did OP make "chip" all caps? It looks retarded.
-cm
January 21, 2007 11:39:28 PM

Ok .. UPDATE here.

I have decided to ship the chip back to the online retailer along with a note in the box about my findings and all the help I have received here in regards to what this chip is.

I have given them 2 choices.

1 - FULL Refund (I paid $756.00 for it)
2 - BOX'd Retail Core 2 Extreme X6800 (Since I'm getting the impression that there is no such think as OEM for this processor)

I have also obtained the email addresses I need in order to report the seller to Intel .. but I will not do this until I get a response back from the retailer as to what 1 of the 2 they chose.

Either way .. As long as I get a refund or a product .. have confirmed the refund or received the replacement product .. once I have either one .. will report the onine retailer to Intel.

Reading these messages .. the comments about the chip being used are correct .. it look that way when I received it .. but I did however install the chip into 3 different motherboards, all showed the same results in CPU-Z .. attached screenshot:

Motherboards tested in were:

Giga-Byte's GA965P-DQ6
ABIT's AB9 Pro
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Will keep you all posted as to what happens from the Online Retailer ..

LordGeek
January 21, 2007 11:58:03 PM

Thank you for the update!

You may want to contact Intel before you ship tha chip back: No CPU = No proof, and as others pointed out, Intel may give you a good deal.

If the retailer treats you unfairly, you might consider posting who they are to warn and protect others
January 22, 2007 12:06:06 AM

Jack,

Was step 4 the final B0 revision? Ive got it stuck in my head they went up to step 6 before B1.
January 22, 2007 12:12:49 AM

Quote:
Hope I get a ES :D 

You can. They show up on Ebay every once and awhile, but in those cases you know what you are getting. For a retailer to be selling it....bad BAD juju.
a c 99 à CPUs
January 22, 2007 1:46:45 AM

Warum keine aus AMD? Alle sprechen Deutsch, nichts English! Dummkopf :D 
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2007 1:53:03 AM

Not in this case: Most Core 2 ES processors that escaped Intel's control were for early testing purposes, using an early stepping. Intel introduces new steppings to fix problems, including reducing hot spots that can limit a CPU's achievable clock speed.
January 22, 2007 2:05:38 AM

I'll post the company information after I have had my dealings with the online retailer and contacted Intel myself .. don't want anyone else taking credit for my findings .. LOL
January 22, 2007 2:43:36 AM

Quote:
Warum keine aus AMD? Alle sprechen Deutsch, nichts English! Dummkopf :D 

Kansas Universitätsmädchen. Es gibt AMD emlopees, die hier schreiben. Auf Englisch. Sie sind beim Verstecken :tongue: :wink:
January 22, 2007 2:46:48 AM

Quote:
I'll post the company information after I have had my dealings with the online retailer and contacted Intel myself .. don't want anyone else taking credit for my findings .. LOL

Of course, you could try to sell it off on ebay:

"Ultra rare Intel E6800 secret engineering sample. Very rare..sure to be a valuable collectors item" :wink:
January 22, 2007 3:15:12 AM

Quote:
Jack,

Was step 4 the final B0 revision? Ive got it stuck in my head they went up to step 6 before B1.

It is easy to go backwards... step 6 B2, step 5 B1, step 4 B0... so the B0 is the 4th spin of silicon.

Jack

Thanks for straightening me out Jack
January 22, 2007 4:16:44 AM

Quote:
Jack,

It is easy to go backwards... step 6 B2, step 5 B1, step 4 B0... so the B0 is the 4th spin of silicon.

Jack

Thanks for straightening me out JackYeah, thank you headmaster Jack :wink:
January 22, 2007 12:26:10 PM

I was reading through other posts here on this site and came across one posted as "Rumored Processor Roadmap of Intel / AMD for 2007" .. in the main listing was one that caught my eye .. and I was figuring that maybe this was the Engineering Sample I had received.

c. Core 2 Duo E6800
Release time: 1H
Specifications: 4MB shared L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
Clock speeds: 2.93GHz
Expected price: unknown, probably below $999 (current price of X6800)
Expected market position: To replace X6800
My commemt: Not much to mention here. Just a locked-multiplier version of X6800.
EDIT: May be cancelled (information from author of HKEPC)

Rumored Processor Roadmap of Intel / AMD for 2007

Interesting to see that the posting listed the chip I received !!
January 22, 2007 3:36:19 PM

Quote:
Intel is actually a good company to customers who are honest.. report that chip to them (the serial number will determine who was supposed to be responsible for it), and Intel will likely give you a fantastic deal - likely a retail X6800/QX6700 for free for reporting the company breaking the agreement for having an ES..

And, if the person is an Intel employee, it's immediate termination!
January 22, 2007 4:21:19 PM

UPDATE : Online Retailer has now received the processor back, received email from FedEx showing package delivered and signed for .. so now, they should be reading the nasty little note I put in there with it .. LOL

Will let you all know what happens from the Online Retailer side of things.

Also .. sent little email to Intel .. not naming any companies at this time, just informed them that I had received one of there Engineering Samples from a Online Retailer .. left them my email and cell #.
January 22, 2007 4:24:55 PM

Cool, keep us informed, I onced recived a semprom ES, and it overclock 1000 Mhz + it was awesome (still is in a friend's build ;) )
January 22, 2007 4:33:05 PM

You didn't wanna stick it to the online retailer? Aw man, you should have said, F*ck you e-tailer, I mailed the thing to Intel and you're gonna die!!1!

So what did the retailer promise you before you sent the thing back?
January 22, 2007 8:00:52 PM

Quote:
UPDATE : Online Retailer has now received the processor back, received email from FedEx showing package delivered and signed for .. so now, they should be reading the nasty little note I put in there with it .. LOL

Will let you all know what happens from the Online Retailer side of things.

Also .. sent little email to Intel .. not naming any companies at this time, just informed them that I had received one of there Engineering Samples from a Online Retailer .. left them my email and cell #.

Omg this is getting like a soap series :)  Im so excited! what will happen next? you will find out in the next episode! XD
January 22, 2007 9:53:39 PM

Quote:
You didn't wanna stick it to the online retailer? Aw man, you should have said, F*ck you e-tailer, I mailed the thing to Intel and you're gonna die!!1!

The Hanz agrees. :x :x
January 22, 2007 10:13:48 PM

Quote:

The Hanz agrees. :x :x

I'd request an 8800GTX for the trouble!
a c 99 à CPUs
January 22, 2007 10:17:05 PM

Wirklich? Wo sind sie?
    • 1 / 10
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!