Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
i need(want) a new case and i was told that the people here could pick one out for me

i want one for under $90 not including shipping, and i would like it to look rather nice, and it would be great also if it had a decent PSU in it

an added bonus would be decent cooling, but i dont want to be too picky

anyways, suggestions would be nice

i was thinking of either a Raidmax ARES or an NXZT Apollo or maybe a Sunbeam Tuniq IC, or possibly a Raidmax RS-9 SE

anyone know of any better for my sit. or pick out one of those...?!

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
ok...i guess i was too vague

i am ordering a 7600GT, along with some CorsairXMS2 RAM(2x512mb)
also going to have a Core2Duo e6300 that i plan to OC to 2.8Ghz
umm....and...i think that covers the essentials that pertain to cooling

oh and i will be using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU cooler...(hope i got that right)

so that is it...anyone have any ideas now?

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
ok...i have been very patient i think

if no one is going to give me any advice/opinions at all then i am just going to go on a long sentence-per-post rant

yeah..thats right

starting NOW

TOMs Hardware is not what i was told it was.

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i was just notified that because i am a n00b that people would rather not reply to my posts...

i see how it is

That has nothing to do with it. Chill out.

For the most part, cases are more about personal style preference than anything else. Some cases are too boring for certain people, and some cases are too ugly/flashy for others.

My personal pick for a $90 case would be the Antec Sonata II -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

However, due to both cooling and silent operation, I'd definitely pay the $120-130 for the Antec P180 and put in the exact (quiet) power supply I want - a SeaSonic like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151023
I realize that spending over $200 for a case & power supply isn't an option for a lot of people.. which is why the Sonata II is the best bang for the buck available.. IF the case fits your style. Some people like windows, lights, and 18 fan mounts.. some people don't.

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006

if no one is going to give me any advice/opinions at all then i am just going to go on a long sentence-per-post rant

yeah..thats right

starting NOW

Calm down.. it's 3am and you're asking for advice on cases, which are by far the computer component most dependent on personal style than anything else. Have patience.. 13 minutes between a few posts isn't enough.

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
i recant my previous claim to RANT

now...i thank you for replying to my topic with what seems to be a sound piece of advice

i only ask: how would the Sonata be better than the NZXT Apollo?

i am not saying it is or isnt because i dont know

i am just curious

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
A reasonable selection of casesmemoryexpress Just have a look, see if anything strikes your fancy. I'm a rackmount guy, so I can't help you much in that department. Prices are CDN though - but a good pageful. Mine main machine is the very first one top left Antec. Oooh, baby.

Lvl21nerd

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
seriously though, whats wrong with the NZXT Apollo?

i think it is relatively nice, but Snake Pliskin keeps telling me it is nasty

so whats the deal?

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i recant my previous claim to RANT

now...i thank you for replying to my topic with what seems to be a sound piece of advice

i only ask: how would the Sonata be better than the NZXT Apollo?

i am not saying it is or isnt because i dont know

i am just curious

I've never built a machine using any NZXT case.. but that's not a bad thing. I've built some machines using some cheap cases in the past and it's not usually a big deal - just make sure you've got a quality power supply. Cases are more about aesthetics than anything else. Why don't you pick out your favorite 3 cases on looks/price alone for us to debate on.. and we'll tell you which one we'd pick for reasons other than style.

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
seriously though, whats wrong with the NZXT Apollo?

i think it is relatively nice, but Snake Pliskin keeps telling me it is nasty

so whats the deal?

I agree with him.. but that's our personal style choice. There are a few options with cases (cooling fan size/locations, hard drive bays, front bays, etc) that can heavily influence the choice of case, but for the most part it's all about personal taste..

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Agree. Cases are largely about style. Also, be sure to think about things like.. midtower (great for on desk) or full height tower (works well under the desk so that drive bays are where you can reach them). The newer high end video cards are LONG, so make sure you have room for them if you might buy one. Cooling and noise can be a condieration also. But... it all begins with finding a look you like.

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Two of 'em - one the antec and the other is an older (maybe 1991) one. I've got an old mainframe rack for them. The filtration is nice in the real world - I live in the country.

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok now I know lvl21nerd personally just for the record and I told him to come on here and ask for some advice which it doesnt seem like he know's how to do that politely :roll: . But I told him that the NXZT that he picked out had poor cooling and yes it has a side fan but there should be on over the cpu as well. IMO for the money for the apollo case you could spend a little more and get a much better case or less and get just as good as case as the apollo.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006

yeah..thats right

starting NOW

Dude calm down! Tom's Community is the best one you'll find on the internet, so don't mess with us. As others have said, the case you buy is based on your likes and dislikes. I recommend you open Newegg, search "cases" and find the one you want, and read the reviews.