is the cpu, p/s or case fan the nosie one?

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
which of the fans tend to make the most noise? I'm trying to quieten my pc and have swapped tp vga fan with a nice quiet zalman one which made a big difference which should it do next?
Are the amd stock 4200 x2 fans loud?
my cpu fan rpm is t 1100 doing not much up to about 2000 under load so i'm guessing that's not the problem.
any idea what asus probe reads power and chassis fans as? the power fan is rotating at about 6400 rpm at the moment and chassis at 2200 rpm.

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
That's somewhat like asking if the white, red, or green cars tend to be fastest. The answer is, well, it depends. :) All of the items you mention tend to be noisy. For the best info on making a PC more quiet though, I highly recommend http://www.silentpcreview.com/ They have great reviews and advice for quieter fans, coolers and PSUs.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
which of the fans tend to make the most noise? I'm trying to quieten my pc and have swapped tp vga fan with a nice quiet zalman one which made a big difference which should it do next?
Are the amd stock 4200 x2 fans loud?
my cpu fan rpm is t 1100 doing not much up to about 2000 under load so i'm guessing that's not the problem.
any idea what asus probe reads power and chassis fans as? the power fan is rotating at about 6400 rpm at the moment and chassis at 2200 rpm.
Look for the "Power" fan header on your motherboard. Unplug it, and see which fan it is(remember to plug it back in...especially if it's an important fan). Then decide if you want to replace it. Any fan spinning at 6400 r.p.m. is going to be loud. GL :)

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Keep in mind that higher RPMs dosn't translate into more noice. Yes the high in RPMs a fan goes the loader it gets. But a fan spinning as 1000 RPMs can be much loader then one spinning at 2000 RPMs. It's all in the design of the fan.
To a point. There is definitely a point where the airflow noise exceeds the fan bearings noise and the faster fan either has to be more noisy or terribly inefficiency in the CFM department. Of course, the RPMs necessary to generate that level of airflow drop as fans increase in size. For a 120mm though, a 2000RPM model would ALMOST be guaranteed to be louder than the 1000RPM unit.

cronjob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Typically, the PSU fans are going to be the loudest, because they're exposed. Your best bet is to find out what fans are being used and what dB they're rated at. Then compensate a bit for whether they're exposed (on a chassis pannel, blowing in or out, for example -- or stuck on the CPU, etc).

I once had a TrendMicro supertowerj with eight drives, thre CD/DVD Roms and 12 fans -- not counting the PSU and CPU fans. It really did sound like a jet taking off. You could have it turned on in my office, door shut and still have to turn the volume up on the home theater in the living room just to hear over the fans.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I think it's the power supply that's loud, as i've tried unpluging other fans and it make no difference. is 2500 rpm fast for a p/s?
any suggestings for quiet 400-500w p/s

thanks

I think it's the power supply that's loud, as i've tried unpluging other fans and it make no difference. is 2500 rpm fast for a p/s?

thanks

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Really good quiet PSUs will run you over $85.

Examples are:

ENERMAX Noisetaker II EG495P-VE ATX12V 485W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817194009

SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817151023

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Find a pen that has a cap with an integral shirt clip. When you remove the cap from the pen you will have about an inch and a half of slim, strong plastic extending from it, (the cap). Insert that plastic bit onto the fan to *momentarily* stop it. If the noise stops when the fan stops you've found the problem. Replace asap.

If you do this in front of someone always tell them not to try this at home and assure them you are a trained profesional. :D

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006

thanks

I mentioned Silent PC Review before. Here is the link to their recommended PSU list:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

Literally they have measure the noise levels of everything on their list and even have recordings of the sounds each makes so that you can evaluate the QUALITY of the noise produced by each. That site is the bible for the questions you are asking.

To cut to the short version, the list is dominated by Seasonic units (including the Corsair branded units that are manufactured by Seasonic).

As for your question regarding 2500 RPM - that is insanely fast for a 120mm fan but pretty darn quiet for an 80mm fan.

cronjob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

thanks

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Really good quiet PSUs will run you over $85.

Indeed. I remember a time not so long ago when $40 for a PSU was considered a lot and the PSU was probably the cheapest part of your machine. My last PSU was a 600watt Enermax Noisetaker and ran me about $200. Gaah. Then again, they tend to be much better quality these days. I haven't had a PSU die on me or fry my machine in a looong time.