My computer wont start

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hi, i have a big problem with my computer :(

A few weeks ago i woke up and started my computer and then went to the bathroom. When i came back from the bathroom my computer was turned off and wouldnt start again. The computer doesnt react at all when i press the power button. The computer broke somewhere in the beginning of the boot since i can hear my computerfans from my bathroom and they got quiate quickly.

I can see that the motherboard gets some power since there is a green light lit on the motherboard but nothing happens when i press the power button.

I suspected that it was a problem with my power supply so i baught a cheap used one from an auction and installed that but it didnt help. Now i suspect that it is the motherboard that is broken.

What do you think is the problem? Can it be anything other than the motherboard?

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
You need to list your system specs so we know what we are dealing with here.

Chieftec DX-01SL-D Dragon Super MidiTower Silver + fan 360W ATX
ASUS P4C800 Deluxe i875P 4DDR-DIMM 6PCI SATA Audio GB-LAN Raid Socket478 ATX
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.66GHz 512Kb 533MHz
2x Corsair CMX512-3200LL XMS3200 Low Latency 512Mb DDR PC3200 CAS2 400MHz
Saphire Radeon x1600 Pro 512Mb AGP

And the other power supply that i tried with is a non ATX 400W.

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Looks like your PSU has possible given out on you do to over stressing it. There is a chance that if that is the case it may have damaged your motherboard as well.

How many amps are on your +12v rail. Check the PSU label and see what is listed under the +12v listing.

under +12v it says 17A

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Yes i'd have to say it's been killed from being overworked. 17A is right at the edge of being able to support your system. It's time for a new PSU. Here is a good cheap PSU that has more then enough power for your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104032

Now if you intend to up[grade to a slightly better video card then you will want to go with the next step up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

You just won't be able to run the new R600.

Ok thanks.

How do you know its right on the edge of being able to support my system? Do you base that on both 360W and the 17A or something else also?

Bezza

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Mine did exactly the same as your has.

I had a look and concluded to replace to psu... no luck

On closer inspection (and a new psu) it looked like the mobo had gone... replaced... no luck.

When i look at the old psu i can see is has been arcing, maybe yours did the same? if it did then its quite likely u need a new mobo and cpu :(

Start with a new psu, if your lucky then your mobo and cpu will have been saved.

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
But i already tried changing the psu, although maybe that psu also was too weak. I tried a 400W, (+12v)18A but that didnt work, but i baught it on a net auction so i dont really know if the psu works at all.

Bezza

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
If youve tried a psu its probs the mobo.

I have replaced my psu also and now my mobo. I have a new pcu on the way, ill let you know if it works. :)

If you still have your old psu then look at the back with the 3 pins and see if there are any burn marks on the inside, im pretty sure that is what caused mine to go.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Uh oh.....
I also suspect the PSU. On the other hand, you now have mpilchfamily helping you, so you are fortunate. (He knows his PSU's!)

It could also be a processor problem. When was the last time you removed your heatsink from your processor? Were you overclocking? If so, what voltage/mhz were you running at? Are you running a stock cooler?

Best of Luck

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
You just need to know how to find the total amps beeing supplied to the combined +12v rails of the PSU and how to caolculate your system's power needs. Read PSU 101 to learn more. There is a link in my sig.

Ok thanks alot

Uh oh.....
I also suspect the PSU. On the other hand, you now have mpilchfamily helping you, so you are fortunate. (He knows his PSU's!)

It could also be a processor problem. When was the last time you removed your heatsink from your processor? Were you overclocking? If so, what voltage/mhz were you running at? Are you running a stock cooler?

Best of Luck

I baught the computer 3 years ago and i havent removed the heatsink at all in that time. I havent overclocked anything and the cooler came with the cpu.

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Yes i'd have to say it's been killed from being overworked. 17A is right at the edge of being able to support your system. It's time for a new PSU. Here is a good cheap PSU that has more then enough power for your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104032

This is what it says on that psu: +12V1@14A; +12V2@15A;

Mine had 17A, is that less than that? Am i supposed to add +12v1 and +12v2 = 14+15 = 29A?