Questions regarding "Disk Cleanup"

My system uses XP Home, 512 RAM, 40 Gig HD. I'm not clear on what I
should or should not be discarding when using the disk cleanup feature.

Specifically, I always seem to have 32 Kb in "Web Client / Publisher
Temporary Files" and there is presently 56 Kb of files shown in
"Compress old files". Neither of these are deleted during the disk
cleanup process.

I have read conflicting information regarding these. Some sources say I
should not try to delete either of them (that I should leave them
"un-ticked" during a cleanup) as they are both useful. Other sources
indicate that they can be deleted.

I've read questions from other users who have thousands of Kb of files
showing in these 2 catagories and I'm concerned that mine will also
continue to grow and crowd my storage space.

Can someone give me some clear information regarding this?

~Jim Murphy

You are safe to just accept the defaults.

"Jim Murphy" <no_working_mailbox@webtv.net> wrote in message
> My system uses XP Home, 512 RAM, 40 Gig HD. I'm not clear on what I
> should or should not be discarding when using the disk cleanup feature.
>
> Specifically, I always seem to have 32 Kb in "Web Client / Publisher
> Temporary Files" and there is presently 56 Kb of files shown in
> "Compress old files". Neither of these are deleted during the disk
> cleanup process.
>
> I have read conflicting information regarding these. Some sources say I
> should not try to delete either of them (that I should leave them
> "un-ticked" during a cleanup) as they are both useful. Other sources
> indicate that they can be deleted.
>
> I've read questions from other users who have thousands of Kb of files
> showing in these 2 catagories and I'm concerned that mine will also
> continue to grow and crowd my storage space.
>
> Can someone give me some clear information regarding this?
>
> ~Jim Murphy

You are safe to check all the options, less the "Compress Old Files", it will
compress the files they think are old making the read time to these files
slower by the compression.

Sorry my bad english

"Jim Murphy" wrote:

> My system uses XP Home, 512 RAM, 40 Gig HD. I'm not clear on what I
> should or should not be discarding when using the disk cleanup feature.
>
> Specifically, I always seem to have 32 Kb in "Web Client / Publisher
> Temporary Files" and there is presently 56 Kb of files shown in
> "Compress old files". Neither of these are deleted during the disk
> cleanup process.
>
> I have read conflicting information regarding these. Some sources say I
> should not try to delete either of them (that I should leave them
> "un-ticked" during a cleanup) as they are both useful. Other sources
> indicate that they can be deleted.
>
> I've read questions from other users who have thousands of Kb of files
> showing in these 2 catagories and I'm concerned that mine will also
> continue to grow and crowd my storage space.
>
> Can someone give me some clear information regarding this?
>
> ~Jim Murphy

Jim

Since you won't be using "compress old files"
here is a great tip to speed up the Disk Cleanup process.
The compression analysis is the slowest part of Disk Cleanup.

It requires a small and very simple registry hack.
You should be familiar with doing that and do a backup first.
I credit this tip to Windows XP magazine Summer 2004 edition-page 70.

Open regedit or other registry editing program.
In registry go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\VOLUMECACHES\COMPRESSOLDFILES.

Clear the value from the Default key.

The next time you start Disk Cleanup it will skip the disk compression
analysis and it will be MUCH faster.

I've used this tip for several months and it is a really big time saver.

Let's hear how it worked out for you.

Joe