Group policy screen refresh slow when editing

Al

We run a default domain group policy and a domain
controller group policy on our small student network.
Just recently when I try to edit either of the above
policys the console screen takes forever (3 to 8 minutes)
to refresh before I'm allowed to edit any of the policy
settings. It does allow me to make the changes and they
seem to be recorded in the policy but unless I'm patient
and wait for the screen refresh to occur I'm basically
locked out of this console. I'm not aware of any chnges
made to the policy or to the server before this problem
arose and I haven't yet found anyone on the web with a
similar problem. Prior to this problem we had instant
screen refreshs when working on group policies.
Anyone have any ideas.

Al

Al,

This really sounds like a DNS issue. Make sure that in the TCP/IP
configuration that only your Internal DNS Server(s) are listed and not the
DNS Server(s) of your ISP.

Maybe post an ipconfig /all

HTH,

Cary

"Al" <afoster@yukoncollege.yk.ca> wrote in message
> We run a default domain group policy and a domain
> controller group policy on our small student network.
> Just recently when I try to edit either of the above
> policys the console screen takes forever (3 to 8 minutes)
> to refresh before I'm allowed to edit any of the policy
> settings. It does allow me to make the changes and they
> seem to be recorded in the policy but unless I'm patient
> and wait for the screen refresh to occur I'm basically
> locked out of this console. I'm not aware of any chnges
> made to the policy or to the server before this problem
> arose and I haven't yet found anyone on the web with a
> similar problem. Prior to this problem we had instant
> screen refreshs when working on group policies.
> Anyone have any ideas.
>
> Al

I looked at the DNS and nothing has changed, it's the same
configuration we've been running for 3 years and the
Internal DNS server is the only one listed.

DNS might just be a cause where the console is actually trying to
look to pick up the Policies from another DC than the one you are
one.

You can confirm or rule this out via:
1. Open gpedit.msc from start=run
2. From View - DCOptions - Select "the one used by the AD Snapin"
3. OK and close the gpedit.msc out
4. Open DSA.MSC (ad users and comps), ensure right at the top of
the tree it says the_dc_you_are_on.domainname.local
5. Now open any of the GPOs.

If this opens real quick, then yes it could be possible name
resolution failures, or if the PDC Emulator (this is where the
gpedit.msc it going to be picking up policies from by default) is
in another physical location the connecting link might be slow.
or the PDC just might be running real slow and hence the delay in
request.

Also if you create a brandnew policy. Then open that guy. What
happens.

"afoster@yukoncollege.yk.ca"