logons

can anyone tell us please

1 how to stop a simultaneous user logon in a 2000
server/client network (i dont want jo bloggs logging on
using his friends account when his is disabled)

2 how to restrict a particular machine to only particular
users (ie a teacher(s) and stop students

Thanks

Frederick,

For 1) look into cconnect.exe. it is a Resource Kit tool that is available
to handle this sort of thing. You might also want to look at
http://www.jsiinc.com and go to the Tips and Tricks section and search for
this ( limiting user logons ). This also might not be a technical problem.
If jbloggs is logging on using his friends logon then there seems to be some
sort of violation of sharing user names / passwords! This is a huge
security hole!

For 2) look at 'Deny logon locally'. Create two groups: faculty and
students - or whatever you want to call them - and then deny the Students
group....You can also look at each user account objects properties in the
ADUC.....there is a logon... button that you can click that will limit the
pcs onto which the can logon.

HTH,

Cary

Frederick Gough School wrote:

> can anyone tell us please
>
> 1 how to stop a simultaneous user logon in a 2000
> server/client network (i dont want jo bloggs logging on
> using his friends account when his is disabled)
>
> 2 how to restrict a particular machine to only particular
> users (ie a teacher(s) and stop students
Hi

Nothing builtin that can help you here I'm afraid (but I think
Microsoft is going to release something next year that supports this).

The UserLock product in the link below is an option
http://www.softwareshelf.com/products/display.asp?p=42

Microsoft's current solution:

You could install the CCONNECT Microsoft Resource Kit utility onto every
computer, it is in the Win2k Server Resource Kit, Supplement 1 (pay ware, and
you will need a SQL server database as well).

More about CCONNECT here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F5CE888.8A3EE8D3%40hydro.com

Here is a third option you might get to work:

Tip 296 at http://www.jsiinc.com/

0296 » A better way to prevent a user from logging on more than once.
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0200/rh0296.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: