NWN platinum

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2004 11:33:24 AM

I'm interested in upgrading my kids two machines from original NWN to
NWN+SOU+HOTU, plus getting the whole package for my wife's machine.

Asking about this earlier, in terms of cheapest upgrade path, the
consensus seemed to be "wait for NWN platinum".

Is that out yet?

Lance

More about : nwn platinum

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:26:01 PM

Lance Berg wrote:
> I'm interested in upgrading my kids two machines from original NWN to
> NWN+SOU+HOTU, plus getting the whole package for my wife's machine.
>
> Asking about this earlier, in terms of cheapest upgrade path, the
> consensus seemed to be "wait for NWN platinum".
>
> Is that out yet?
>
> Lance

Not yet, but wouldn't it be easier and faster just to check online to see if
it's on sale? Like at amazon.com or something?
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 8:40:05 PM

Lance Berg wrote:
> Is that out yet?

It's supposed to be released in October. Pursuant to that, I noticed in
Target Stores this past week that NWN Gold and HotU have been cut in
price to $19.99 each. Thus, you can buy the two together now for the
same price as Platinum, which is supposed to retail for $39.99.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

John Salerno wrote:

> Lance Berg wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in upgrading my kids two machines from original NWN to
>>NWN+SOU+HOTU, plus getting the whole package for my wife's machine.
>>
>>Asking about this earlier, in terms of cheapest upgrade path, the
>>consensus seemed to be "wait for NWN platinum".
>>
>>Is that out yet?
>>
>>Lance
>

> Not yet, but wouldn't it be easier and faster just to check online to see if
> it's on sale? Like at amazon.com or something?

Different approaches are simpler for different people.

I'm a Usenet addict, what can I say? The web itself is, for me, far
less interesting.

Further, statistics suggest between 1000 and 10,000 people read a
message for every one that writes one.

So, if I ask a question and get an answer, then maybe 10,000 other
people just got the same question answered.

If I go find out for myself, 1 person gets the question answered.

How many orders of magnitude does this have to work for before it seems
like a better idea to pool knowledge rather than keep it compartmentalized?

Gestalt, its not just a good idea, its THE idea.

OK, lets look at the two answers I got:

your's; uninformative on the issue requested, but spawning a discussion
of what Usenet might be used for

Barry's; only vaguely more informative on the issue requested
("october"... which doesn't seem too firm for a ship date on something
thats as simple to put together as this; slap three sets of discs into a
box and put a fancy lable on it) but very informative in terms of
comparing current pricing for an alternative way to get what I'm looking
for to the one I'd have to wait an indeterminate couple months for.

Neither answer was something I'd get from just looking at amazon to see
if they have it yet, yet both were, as I suspected, far more interesting.

Lance
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:20:18 AM

Lance Berg wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> Lance Berg wrote:
>>
>>> I'm interested in upgrading my kids two machines from original NWN
>>> to NWN+SOU+HOTU, plus getting the whole package for my wife's
>>> machine. Asking about this earlier, in terms of cheapest upgrade path,
>>> the
>>> consensus seemed to be "wait for NWN platinum".
>>>
>>> Is that out yet?
>>>
>>> Lance
>>

>> Not yet, but wouldn't it be easier and faster just to check online
>> to see if it's on sale? Like at amazon.com or something?
>>

> Different approaches are simpler for different people.

I use newsgroups to ask a lot of questions too, it's just that this is a
question with an objective answer (not the kind you'd ask people's advice
about, for instance) and it actually seems like it would be literally faster
to just look it up, rather than post the question and wait for an answer.
But I'm not complaining, I just found it odd.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:28:56 AM

Lance Berg wrote:
> Barry's; only vaguely more informative on the issue requested
> ("october"... which doesn't seem too firm for a ship date on something
> thats as simple to put together as this; slap three sets of discs into a
> box and put a fancy lable on it)

For one, I was answering for memory. I'm not inclined to go look it up
when you could do that yourself. :)  For two, the release isn't that
simple. They are actually releasing a new version of the game (1.63,
which is why the next patch is being called 1.64), so it requires a new
mastering.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> Lance Berg wrote:
>> Barry's; only vaguely more informative on the issue requested
>> ("october"... which doesn't seem too firm for a ship date on
>> something thats as simple to put together as this; slap three sets
>> of discs into a box and put a fancy lable on it)
>

> For one, I was answering for memory. I'm not inclined to go look it up
> when you could do that yourself. :)  For two, the release isn't that
> simple. They are actually releasing a new version of the game (1.63,
> which is why the next patch is being called 1.64), so it requires a
> new mastering.

Really? New version as in differences we won't have, or will the 1.64 patch
take care of it?
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 7:43:05 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>>They are actually releasing a new version of the game (1.63,
>>which is why the next patch is being called 1.64), so it requires a
>>new mastering.
>
> Really? New version as in differences we won't have, or will the 1.64 patch
> take care of it?

The only thing I know is NWN Platinum will be the 1.62 version of the
game with some updated campaign modules. Thus they decided to call
Platinum v1.63 and moved their current patch to 1.64. I do not know if
the 1.64 patch will include the OC modifications that come with
Platinum, but I suspect it will.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Lance Berg wrote:

> John Salerno wrote:
>

> Different approaches are simpler for different people.
>
> I'm a Usenet addict, what can I say? The web itself is, for me, far
> less interesting.

But far more effecient to find your answer. google.com is your friend.

In the time you wasted posting and replying, you could have gone to
google and got a exact answer 10 times over. But maybe thats just me :)
!