Synchronization of My Documents

LJ

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004

We have recently started to experiment with roaming
profiles and folder redirection of My Documents. However
one of our tests seems to have gone awry. Initially "User
A" logged into computer "A" and as expected when they
logged off their files from "MyDocuments" synchronized.
However when "User B" logged in and out of "Computer A"
both "User B" and "User A" documents are synchronized.
However because "User A" was not the actually user logging
out of the computer so "User B" is prompted to supply
login credentials to synch "User A's" files. When "User
C" logs into and out of "Computer A" both "User C"
and "User A"'s files are synchronized again.
However "User C" is prompted for credentials to
synchronize "User A's" files.

How do I get "User A's" files to stop synchronizing
everytime another user logs out of the PC?

The PC is a IBM laptop, the OS is XP without SP2.

LJ

LJ,

I have not ever seen anything like this. Are there any Event IDs in the
application log?

Just want to make sure that I am understanding you:

1) You have set up roaming profiles ( how did you set this up? )
2) You have set up a GPO which redirects the user's My Documents folder
3) If userA logs on to computerA there is not any problem.....My Documents
is redirected ( how did you set this up? ) and roaming profile is correct
and upon log off My Documents synchronizes...so far everything is golden
4) QUESTION: What happens if userA then logs onto computerB ( which no one
has logged on )?
5) Now userB logs onto computerA and then logs off
6) Wacky behavior with My Documents
7) Now userC logs onto computerA and then logs off
8) Wacky behavior with My Documents

I would look at how you set up the My Documents folder redirection GPO. You
typically want to set it up so that you enter
\\servername\MyDocuments\%username% in the format of
\\servername\sharename\%username%.

HTH,

Cary

"LJ" <lhilgers@noelgroup.com> wrote in message
> We have recently started to experiment with roaming
> profiles and folder redirection of My Documents. However
> one of our tests seems to have gone awry. Initially "User
> A" logged into computer "A" and as expected when they
> logged off their files from "MyDocuments" synchronized.
> However when "User B" logged in and out of "Computer A"
> both "User B" and "User A" documents are synchronized.
> However because "User A" was not the actually user logging
> out of the computer so "User B" is prompted to supply
> login credentials to synch "User A's" files. When "User
> C" logs into and out of "Computer A" both "User C"
> and "User A"'s files are synchronized again.
> However "User C" is prompted for credentials to
> synchronize "User A's" files.
>
> How do I get "User A's" files to stop synchronizing
> everytime another user logs out of the PC?
>
> The PC is a IBM laptop, the OS is XP without SP2.
>

> LJ

I have seen exactly this before; we didn't resolve it because we only used
Offline Files on laptops and we only ever had one user working on each
laptop. In the end we abondoned Offline Files completely because it was just
not robust enough - Windows would arbitarily decide the server was offline.

"LJ" <lhilgers@noelgroup.com> wrote in message
> We have recently started to experiment with roaming
> profiles and folder redirection of My Documents. However
> one of our tests seems to have gone awry. Initially "User
> A" logged into computer "A" and as expected when they
> logged off their files from "MyDocuments" synchronized.
> However when "User B" logged in and out of "Computer A"
> both "User B" and "User A" documents are synchronized.
> However because "User A" was not the actually user logging
> out of the computer so "User B" is prompted to supply
> login credentials to synch "User A's" files. When "User
> C" logs into and out of "Computer A" both "User C"
> and "User A"'s files are synchronized again.
> However "User C" is prompted for credentials to
> synchronize "User A's" files.
>
> How do I get "User A's" files to stop synchronizing
> everytime another user logs out of the PC?
>
> The PC is a IBM laptop, the OS is XP without SP2.
>

> LJ

Paul

Splendid

I just read a technet article explaining that that
behavior is, essentially, by design: any time offline
folders sync on a machine, they do so for all users on
that machine. I think you can get around it by opening up
permissions on the relevant folders so that credentials
are not required. Yes, that means giving "Everyone"
permission over all relevant users' sync'd folders. Oogy,
huh?

Paul,

Would you be so kind as to forward us the link to the Technet Article that
you read? I am doing this in a lab ( playing with Folder Redirection and
getting into the nitty gritty of it ) and I am not experiencing this.

For example, I have three sub-OUs that contain the user account objects. I
have one DC and two WIN2000 Pro systems. I have created the GPOs to
redirect the 1) My Documents folder, 2) the Desktop and 3) the Start Menu.
Each of these is being redirected to a separate folder (
\\dc01\mydocs\%username% for the My Documents folder,
\\dc01\mydesktop\%username% for the Desktop and finally
\\dc01\mystart\%username% for the Start Menu ). I log on as several
different users on both of the WIN2000 systems. So, I am logged on as
BHobson on PC01 and then create some WordPad files, then log off, then log
on to PC02 and create some WordPad files and log off and then log on to PC01
again. I do this for several users.

Since it is simply in the lab I used the everyone group @ Full Control for
both the Share and NTFS permissions on the MyDocs, MyDesktop and MyStart
folders while the each user has sole access ( Full Control ) to his folder.

I will look into this more.....

Cary

"paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just read a technet article explaining that that
> behavior is, essentially, by design: any time offline
> folders sync on a machine, they do so for all users on
> that machine. I think you can get around it by opening up
> permissions on the relevant folders so that credentials
> are not required. Yes, that means giving "Everyone"
> permission over all relevant users' sync'd folders. Oogy,
> huh?

I am using Folder Redirection for My Documents and Application Data for over
800 users. The only time this happens to me is when the user has rights to
the other user's folder. I used the following article to set up permissions
and give Administrators full control over the individual users folders:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288991

I occasionally experience problems with synchronizing but clearing the
offline cache folder, rebooting and synchronizing again usually fixes it.