Jan 19, 2007
Hi everyone,

I need help choosing a case and a PSU for my new pc:

- Core 2 Duo E6600
- MSI intel 975X Platinum
- 2 X 1 GB DDRII 667 Kingston
- 8800 GTX 768MB GDDRIII (MSI)
- DVD Burner
- An old Hard drive which i can't afford to replace...

I want a simple case and psu, I'm not going to do any overclocking, but I want somthing that can handle anything this computer will throw at it...

As a case I was thinking of getting the HEC Compucase CI-6A21, which has 2 x 12 cm Fans, but I'm not sure if it's good enough. I'd appreciate it if you give me specific models you think are good for me.

Also, if you have general remarks about the computer (bottle necks... memory, motherboard), I'd love to hear them.

Thanks alot everyone!

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Cooler Master Centurion 5 is on the do not fit list but they show a pick of it in the article linked above as fitting. It's a cheap case -- new egg had it for $40 + shipping--but it has many positive reviews.

Hi everyone,

I need help choosing a case and a PSU for my new pc:

- Core 2 Duo E6600
- 2 X 1 GB DDRII 667 Kingston
- 8800 GTX 768MB GDDRIII (MSI)
- DVD Burner
- An old Hard drive which i can't afford to replace...

I want a simple case and psu, I'm not going to do any overclocking, but I want somthing that can handle anything this computer will throw at it...

If you will not be overclocking then you can buy a cheaper motherboard and DDR2 533 RAM. I have the MSI 975X Platinum and it's a great motherboard. DDR2 677 is for overclocking.

As for the PSU, I generally recommend spending a decent amount of money on it because it is the one component that can actually destroy every other components in your PC should it fail. The chances of a failed PSU destroying your PC is very, very low. But it is higher than any other component.

My general recommendation is a Seasonic S12 500 which provideds 33 amps on the 12v rails, or 396w. But it is relatively expensive at £76.24 including VAT. A price range would be helpful.

Your proposed system will not really use a lot of power, even considering the fact that you will be dropping the 8800GTX into your PC. The following is what I estimate will be your max power draw from the 12v rails:

Core 2 Duo (stock speed)...................................52w CPU Power Consumption
8800GTX...........................................................146w GPU Power Consumption *
1 Generic Hard Drive..........................................16w
1 DVD Burner....................................................16w
2 120mm Case Fans...........................................12w
1 120mm CPU Fan..............................................12w

Total Est. Power Consumption on 12v rails...........229w
Total Est. Amp Consumption on 12v rails.............19.1a

That means the PSU will have 13.9 amps to spare, or 166.8w to spare on the 12v rails.

* The 145.5w watts listed for the 8800GTX is not a measured amount, it is nVidia's estimate.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t measure the power consumption of the GeForce 8800 GTX because our testbed with a modified Intel Desktop Board D925XCV turned to be incompatible with Nvidia’s new card.

On the plus side, nVidia estimated the 7950 GX2 would consume 143w, but Xbitlabs measured a mere 110w. Therefore, it is possible that the 8800GTX will consume less than the 146w I listed, which in turn would decrease the amount of amps consumed on the 12v rails.

One final comment. The MSI 975x Platinum is a Crossfire compatible motherboard, not SLI. Just in case you want to drop in another 8800GTX in the future you will need to pick a motherboard with an nVidia chipset like the 680i.

The reason why I am pointing this out is because I read a post where some poor sap was trying to get his two 8800GTX GPUs working in SLI mode using a 975x motherboard.

Oops.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Those choices look good. Now if you aren't looking to spend a ton and it has all the options/ports you need then consider a 650i instead of a 680i if you want the possibility of SLI in your future. It has pretty much the same OC options but at reduced cost due to x8 PCI-E lanes instead of x16 but even with the 8800GTX I'm seeing reports of negligible difference, nothing you'd normally notice except in benchmarks. Its cheaper also due to less SATA ports etc. An Asus 650i is not a bad alternative considering the cost savings.

Compare the options etc and see what suits you. Oh and don't take newegg reviews too much to heart. Its always better to google for real reviews on respected sites.