Catalyst 1900 Console stuck in limited menu

Phani

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I am having trouble with my Catalyst 1900 Management Console. I am not sure what I exactly did to get to this mode. It looks like I unwittingly changed the TACACS setting.

Now I just have two modes on the user interface menu on the console: [M] Menus and [K] Command Line. If I select [M], I get the message "This option cannot be used when TACACS+ is enabled" and if I select the [K] option, I get the message " No Tacacs+ servers have been configured". I have no clue what this means. I am stuck in this menu and cannot go back to the normal console. Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

Phani

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I can't tell you what caused it to give you that sort of limitation. But if you can use the ctrl-break key function when the switch is starting and gain access to ROM monitor mode use the command "confreg 0x2142" then type reset to reboot the router after you've entered the command. Then the router should ignore your starting configuration and boot up as if no configuration is there.

Once its booted all the way issue the "show start" command and copy it to a text file and see if you can troubleshoot whats causing the issue. Make sure that you don't save your running config while in this mode because it will overwrite anything you have saved and leave you with no config what-so-ever. Thats why you should copy your starting config.

Don't forget to change your configuration register back to 0x2102. Once you have the problem solved. You'll have to change it to that register anyways if you want the router to load the configuration.

Phani

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you so much for your quick tip. I tried all kinds of break sequences. I am power cycling the switch and trying to break buring restart. On WinXP hyperterminal, I tried to break with CTRL-BREAK, CTLE-ALT-BREAK, CTRL-F6-BREAK, etc. The console does not respond to the break during restart. I downloaded tera-term and tried to break using ALT-B (which is send break). Still console does not respond to break and comes back to the limited menu. Any ideas are appreciated.

Phani

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
When your consoled into the switch are you using a usb-to-console converter or are you a lucky one and got the serial plug on your pc or laptop.

In my experience the ctrl-break sequence in hyperterm has never worked when I use the usb-to-console adapter.

Here's a link on cisco you might find helpful.

Password recovery for 1900 series switches

I know its for password recovery but it shows you how to bypass the configuration. Once the switch loads up you can issue "show start" and see what commands are in the config and also copy the configuration to a text file.