New problem to do with E6600, one core is constantly on 100%

YellowJello

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hey, as you can see from the previous thread I fixed the problem with windows not recognizing both my cores but now I have a new issue. In task manager and CPU history the first core onthe left is constnatly on 90-100%?

YellowJello

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I literelly just formatted, there is nothing installed. Also this has happened twice now, first time it happened I formatted again and it is still happening, very few programs are starting up when booting.

I found this, don't really know WHAT it is but this could be the trouble.

"What is mscorsvw.exe and why is it eating up my CPU? What is this new CLR Optimization Service?
Short version:

mscorsvw.exe is precompiling .NET assemblies in the background. Once it's done, it will go away. Typically, after you install the .NET Redist, it will be done with the high priority assemblies in 5 to 10 minutes and then will wait until your computer is idle to process the low priority assemblies. Once it does that it will shutdown and you won't see mscorsvw.exe. One important thing is that while you may see 100% CPU usage, the compilation happens in a process with low priority, so it tries not to steal the CPU for other stuff you are doing. Once everything is compiled, assemblies will now be able to share pages across different processes and warm start up will be typically much faster, so we're not throwing away your cycles."

YellowJello

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah that's not it, I think that was just a file that was installing .NET via windows update.

Maybe some more information here?

Name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Description: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Manufacturer : GenuineIntel
Version : Model 15, Stepping 6
DataWidth : 32 Bits
Socket Designation : Socket 775
Type : Central Processor
CPU Id : BFEBFBFF000006F6
CPU Family : Unknown
CPU Stepping : 6
Load Percentage : 85 %
Max ClockSpeed : 2395 MHz
Current ClockSpeed : 2395 MHz
Voltage : 1.3 V
External Clock : 266 MHz
Upgrade Method : ZIF Socket
L2 Cache Size : 4096 Kb
Display Availability : Running/Full Power
PowerManagement Supported : false

Load Percentage : 0 %

Well, since you are currently updating and loading new software, wait till you are completely done, then give it a few and see if the usage goes down. It could be an IRQ conflict with a card in your system, or a program stuck in a loop. I don't see anything right off either that would keep the one core so high.

Yeah that's not it, I think that was just a file that was installing .NET via windows update.

Maybe some more information here?

Load Percentage : 85 %

Load Percentage : 0 %

I'm with JPub, since the screenshot of your running processes only showed mscorsvw.exe is the only thing other than the idle thread using CPU cycles. Maybe you could do another screenshot of your running processes, this time sort the CPU usage column to have the highest use items at the top. Click the CPU column title like three times and it will sort them in descending order. This will help determine for sure which process is using the most CPU resources. If your convinced that it's not mscorsvw.exe, then wait to take the screenshot until something besides it and the idle process show up at the top of the list. Other than that, here is the link that JITPub and I found:

http://blogs.msdn.com/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/412838.aspx

YellowJello

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I'm using a router via ethernet cable but can put it wireless any time, windows firewall is turned off and i'm just using the router. I do not think my IP is static.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6360/another9ow.jpg

This picture is me idling, you can see my processes and CPU usage, as you can see I am getting 99% idle and one core still being fully used.

That file was from when I was updating the .NET framework, it isn't htere anymore.

Now I believe something weird is occurring. Core 0 is nearly used up entirely while the other is idling, and you don't have any processes using up the CPU cylces. When I run a process (UD) which uses all up the resources of one core, even though it is singlethreaded, it distributes the load slightly like 80-20 (that's on individual cores). With yours it's like running the one at nearly 100% while showing that the idle process is running at 97%. This lead me to believe that Windows is still seeing your CPU as a single core in some manner. There is no way that it should be showing 97% on the idle thread and have one core used up like that, it should be saying like 50% on the idle thread.

Now you mentioned that you "solved" a problem where Windows wasn't recognizing it as dual core. If this isn't something to do with a conflict of some type, this maybe something to do with your original problem. Could you provide a link to the other post you mention.

YellowJello

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Show proccess changes nothing.

I haven't installed everything just incase but right now i've got

8800 GTS
1gb DDR2 400 mhz
MSI P965 NEO-F
Maxtor 6Y200P0

That's about it.

Have you installed graphics drivers, if not install them and see if that changes anything. Maybe without drivers the CPU is having to handle the desktop display under Standard VGA adapter.

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked back at your first screenshot, I see the nVidia System Tray icon.