temporary internet files

Is there a group policy object that restricts the size of the Temporary
Internet Files? In IE, the default is 20%. If you have a an 80GB drive,
that directory can grow substantially. Multiply that with a bunch of users
who log in with their own profile and you have a bunch of temp files. Sure,
you can go in and reduce the size of the directory, but you have to do it
for every user.

Alan

How to limit or change the amount of disk space used for Temporary Internet
Files at user basis and machine basis in a Group Policy
http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=18

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Alan Auld" <alanauld23@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Is there a group policy object that restricts the size of the Temporary
> Internet Files? In IE, the default is 20%. If you have a an 80GB drive,
> that directory can grow substantially. Multiply that with a bunch of
> users who log in with their own profile and you have a bunch of temp
> files. Sure, you can go in and reduce the size of the directory, but you
> have to do it for every user.
>
> Alan

Here's one for ya'll.... When I follow the directions on this, I get so far
as right clicking, selecting Preference Mode. All's good 'til there. After
that, I go to double click on the Corporate Settings (pointed to
c:\winnt\inf\inetcorp.adm). The Group Policy editor closes out after that,
and I never get the window as described on Chrisse's website. Same thing
happens if I double click for "Internet Settings". Weird. Both files are
dated 7/24/02 08:00A. It happens on any of the dc's I have here--Windows
2000, sp4.

Any ideas? The only thing mentioned in the event log (Application) is:
"The application, mmc.exe, generated an application error. The error
occurred on 09/27/2004 @ 16:51:54.618. The exception generated was c0000005
at address 02E4FD8 (<nosymbols>)" with event ID 4097.

TIA

Ken

"Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> How to limit or change the amount of disk space used for Temporary
Internet
> Files at user basis and machine basis in a Group Policy
> http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=18
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Alan Auld" <alanauld23@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Is there a group policy object that restricts the size of the Temporary
> > Internet Files? In IE, the default is 20%. If you have a an 80GB
drive,
> > that directory can grow substantially. Multiply that with a bunch of
> > users who log in with their own profile and you have a bunch of temp
> > files. Sure, you can go in and reduce the size of the directory, but
you
> > have to do it for every user.
> >
> > Alan

Ken-
Inetcorp.adm is a big pile of doggie doo. That template hasn't been updated
in a while and it flat out doesn't work on newer versions of IE (newer than
IE5). I played around with it a while back and posted the results on this
newsgroup. Its just a mess. If you're running IE 6, the process of changing
the size of the TIF area involves tweaking multiple registry values, so I
suspect they changed the behavior at some point and just gave up on the ADM
file. I would love for someone from MS to pipe up here and let me know if
I've missed something, but I haven't found any newer way of doing this
correctly.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

"Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here's one for ya'll.... When I follow the directions on this, I get so
> far
> as right clicking, selecting Preference Mode. All's good 'til there.
> After
> that, I go to double click on the Corporate Settings (pointed to
> c:\winnt\inf\inetcorp.adm). The Group Policy editor closes out after
> that,
> and I never get the window as described on Chrisse's website. Same thing
> happens if I double click for "Internet Settings". Weird. Both files are
> dated 7/24/02 08:00A. It happens on any of the dc's I have here--Windows
> 2000, sp4.
>
> Any ideas? The only thing mentioned in the event log (Application) is:
> "The application, mmc.exe, generated an application error. The error
> occurred on 09/27/2004 @ 16:51:54.618. The exception generated was
> c0000005
> at address 02E4FD8 (<nosymbols>)" with event ID 4097.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
>
> "Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
>> How to limit or change the amount of disk space used for Temporary
> Internet
>> Files at user basis and machine basis in a Group Policy
>> http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=18
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Christoffer Andersson
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>
>> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
>> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>>
>> "Alan Auld" <alanauld23@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> > Is there a group policy object that restricts the size of the Temporary
>> > Internet Files? In IE, the default is 20%. If you have a an 80GB
> drive,
>> > that directory can grow substantially. Multiply that with a bunch of
>> > users who log in with their own profile and you have a bunch of temp
>> > files. Sure, you can go in and reduce the size of the directory, but
> you
>> > have to do it for every user.
>> >
>> > Alan

Hey Darren-

Thanks for posting back--very useful info to have, as 80% of my clients are
on IE6 at this point... no need to go trying to configure something that
will never work

Maybe MS might come up w/ a better ADM file to control IE... who knows

Thanks again

Ken