Icons have bad resolution

The icons in the toolbar lost their resolution. They are very blocky now.
Don't know how it happened! I googled this and all I could find were people
telling you how to make your icons smaller. This isn't my problem b/c they
didn't change size at all. I went ahead and tried these ideas anyway
(choosing Small Icons as well as going to Advanced Settings for the
desktop). Nothing works. The weird thing is that some programs have icons in
their dropdown menus and I just noticed that the resolution on these are bad
also. Somehow there must be some type of setting which determines the icon
resolution. Again, this is not a size problem - strictly resolution. Its
like what happens when you look at a low resolution picture on zoom. The
edges go from being smooth to being blocky.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about icons resolution

    Brian Bischof wrote:
    > The icons in the toolbar lost their resolution. They are very blocky now.
    > Don't know how it happened! I googled this and all I could find were people
    > telling you how to make your icons smaller. This isn't my problem b/c they
    > didn't change size at all. I went ahead and tried these ideas anyway
    > (choosing Small Icons as well as going to Advanced Settings for the
    > desktop). Nothing works. The weird thing is that some programs have icons in
    > their dropdown menus and I just noticed that the resolution on these are bad
    > also. Somehow there must be some type of setting which determines the icon
    > resolution. Again, this is not a size problem - strictly resolution. Its
    > like what happens when you look at a low resolution picture on zoom. The
    > edges go from being smooth to being blocky.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    ------------------------------

    I had a similar problem after installing an update once -- or maybe it
    was new software? Anyhow, my problem turned out to be simply that the
    installation had lowered the bits of color resolution on the display.
    That made some of the icons look very squirrelly similar to what you're
    describing.

    Right click on an empty spot on your desk top then select
    Properties>Settings and make sure your screen resolution *and* color
    quality are set to what they should be. I was surprised at the
    difference it made on my machine when the color quality was reduced from
    32 bits to 16.

    Good luck...

    Bill

    Well, that was definitely a worthy effort. I had not tried that idea.
    Unfortunately it didn't work. The thing is that the Desktop icons are still
    very smooth and clean looking. It's just the toolbar icons have low
    resolution. Very strange how its just this one aspect of the graphics that
    aren't working. I would be that there is a registry setting that
    differentiates the toolbar icons from the desktop icons. Don't know. Still
    hoping someone comes across an answer for this one.

    Brian

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    wrote in message news:%23EO4MLSEFHA.3992@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Brian Bischof wrote:
    > > The icons in the toolbar lost their resolution. They are very blocky
    now.
    > > Don't know how it happened! I googled this and all I could find were
    people
    > > telling you how to make your icons smaller. This isn't my problem b/c
    they
    > > didn't change size at all. I went ahead and tried these ideas anyway
    > > (choosing Small Icons as well as going to Advanced Settings for the
    > > desktop). Nothing works. The weird thing is that some programs have
    icons in
    > > their dropdown menus and I just noticed that the resolution on these are
    bad
    > > also. Somehow there must be some type of setting which determines the
    icon
    > > resolution. Again, this is not a size problem - strictly resolution. Its
    > > like what happens when you look at a low resolution picture on zoom. The
    > > edges go from being smooth to being blocky.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > ------------------------------
    >
    > I had a similar problem after installing an update once -- or maybe it
    > was new software? Anyhow, my problem turned out to be simply that the
    > installation had lowered the bits of color resolution on the display.
    > That made some of the icons look very squirrelly similar to what you're
    > describing.
    >
    > Right click on an empty spot on your desk top then select
    > Properties>Settings and make sure your screen resolution *and* color
    > quality are set to what they should be. I was surprised at the
    > difference it made on my machine when the color quality was reduced from
    > 32 bits to 16.
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > Bill

    Brian,

    Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16
    Close Registry Editor.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    > Well, that was definitely a worthy effort. I had not tried that idea.
    > Unfortunately it didn't work. The thing is that the Desktop icons are
    > still
    > very smooth and clean looking. It's just the toolbar icons have low
    > resolution. Very strange how its just this one aspect of the graphics that
    > aren't working. I would be that there is a registry setting that
    > differentiates the toolbar icons from the desktop icons. Don't know. Still
    > hoping someone comes across an answer for this one.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    > wrote in message news:%23EO4MLSEFHA.3992@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Brian Bischof wrote:
    >> > The icons in the toolbar lost their resolution. They are very blocky
    > now.
    >> > Don't know how it happened! I googled this and all I could find were
    > people
    >> > telling you how to make your icons smaller. This isn't my problem b/c
    > they
    >> > didn't change size at all. I went ahead and tried these ideas anyway
    >> > (choosing Small Icons as well as going to Advanced Settings for the
    >> > desktop). Nothing works. The weird thing is that some programs have
    > icons in
    >> > their dropdown menus and I just noticed that the resolution on these
    >> > are
    > bad
    >> > also. Somehow there must be some type of setting which determines the
    > icon
    >> > resolution. Again, this is not a size problem - strictly resolution.
    >> > Its
    >> > like what happens when you look at a low resolution picture on zoom.
    >> > The
    >> > edges go from being smooth to being blocky.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> ------------------------------
    >>
    >> I had a similar problem after installing an update once -- or maybe it
    >> was new software? Anyhow, my problem turned out to be simply that the
    >> installation had lowered the bits of color resolution on the display.
    >> That made some of the icons look very squirrelly similar to what you're
    >> describing.
    >>
    >> Right click on an empty spot on your desk top then select
    >> Properties>Settings and make sure your screen resolution *and* color
    >> quality are set to what they should be. I was surprised at the
    >> difference it made on my machine when the color quality was reduced from
    >> 32 bits to 16.
    >>
    >> Good luck...
    >>
    >> Bill

    I looked up that reg key and it was already at 16. However, the one right
    below it, Shell Icon Size, was at 32 so I changed it to 16. After rebooting
    my toolbar icons had not changes, but my desktop icons were now half their
    size! Bummer. So I changed it back to 32. Thanks anyway.

    Brian

    > Brian,
    >
    > Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    > In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16
    > Close Registry Editor.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, that was definitely a worthy effort. I had not tried that idea.
    > > Unfortunately it didn't work. The thing is that the Desktop icons are
    > > still
    > > very smooth and clean looking. It's just the toolbar icons have low
    > > resolution. Very strange how its just this one aspect of the graphics
    that
    > > aren't working. I would be that there is a registry setting that
    > > differentiates the toolbar icons from the desktop icons. Don't know.
    Still
    > > hoping someone comes across an answer for this one.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)"
    <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    > > wrote in message news:%23EO4MLSEFHA.3992@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > now.
    > > people
    > > they
    > > icons in
    > > bad
    > > icon

    > >> ------------------------------
    > >>
    > >> I had a similar problem after installing an update once -- or maybe it
    > >> was new software? Anyhow, my problem turned out to be simply that the
    > >> installation had lowered the bits of color resolution on the display.
    > >> That made some of the icons look very squirrelly similar to what you're
    > >> describing.
    > >>
    > >> Right click on an empty spot on your desk top then select
    > >> Properties>Settings and make sure your screen resolution *and* color
    > >> quality are set to what they should be. I was surprised at the
    > >> difference it made on my machine when the color quality was reduced
    from
    > >> 32 bits to 16.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck...
    > >>
    > >> Bill

    Did you set both to 32?

    >I looked up that reg key and it was already at 16. However, the one right
    > below it, Shell Icon Size, was at 32 so I changed it to 16. After
    > rebooting
    > my toolbar icons had not changes, but my desktop icons were now half their
    > size! Bummer. So I changed it back to 32. Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Brian

    >> Brian,
    >>
    >> Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    >> In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16
    >> Close Registry Editor.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    >> > Well, that was definitely a worthy effort. I had not tried that idea.
    >> > Unfortunately it didn't work. The thing is that the Desktop icons are
    >> > still
    >> > very smooth and clean looking. It's just the toolbar icons have low
    >> > resolution. Very strange how its just this one aspect of the graphics
    > that
    >> > aren't working. I would be that there is a registry setting that
    >> > differentiates the toolbar icons from the desktop icons. Don't know.
    > Still
    >> > hoping someone comes across an answer for this one.
    >> >
    >> > Brian
    >> >

    >> > "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)"
    > <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    >> > now.
    >> > people
    >> > they
    >> > icons in
    >> > bad
    >> > icon

    > from

    Yes, I did that too! Nothing seems to work. How frustrating...

    > Did you set both to 32?

    > "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    > >I looked up that reg key and it was already at 16. However, the one right
    > > below it, Shell Icon Size, was at 32 so I changed it to 16. After
    > > rebooting
    > > my toolbar icons had not changes, but my desktop icons were now half
    their
    > > size! Bummer. So I changed it back to 32. Thanks anyway.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Brian,
    > >>
    > >> Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    > >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    > >> In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16
    > >> Close Registry Editor.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    > > that
    > > Still

    > > <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>

    > > from

    Brian,

    Use the "Repair icons" feature in Tweak UI.

    TweakUI v2.00 for Windows XP/XP MCE [564 KB].
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    TweakUI v2.10 for Windows XP SP1/XP MCE/2003 [147 KB].
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    Sometimes, Tweak UI corrupts the icons by assigning incorrect value to Shell
    Icon BPP. If that happens, see:

    Icons get corrupted after using Tweak UI "Rebuild Icons" function:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm

    Another option is to delete the iconcache.db file present in this folder:

    %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data

    --

    > Yes, I did that too! Nothing seems to work. How frustrating...

    >> Did you set both to 32?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    >> >I looked up that reg key and it was already at 16. However, the one
    >> >right
    >> > below it, Shell Icon Size, was at 32 so I changed it to 16. After
    >> > rebooting
    >> > my toolbar icons had not changes, but my desktop icons were now half
    > their
    >> > size! Bummer. So I changed it back to 32. Thanks anyway.
    >> >
    >> > Brian
    >> >

    >> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> > that
    >> > Still

    >> > <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    > blocky
    > were
    > anyway
    > the
    > have
    > these
    > resolution.
    > zoom.

    > it
    > the
    > display.

    >> > from

    Hi Ramesh,

    You seem to be a wealth of information. However, my system still eludes you.
    Running the TweakUI makes the icons blink on and off (obviously resetting
    them) but the resolution is still bad. Delete the IconCache didn't have any
    effect. In fact, with the litte Norton AV icon when the system boots up it
    draws a red X over it until its fully loaded. That little red X is just a
    bunch of tiny boxes connected by their corners. It looks like a line drawn
    by a computer back in the 80s when you had really bad monitors. Plus, when I
    open some programs that use icons I see that their resolution is the same.
    However, the desktop icons are very clean with smooth rounding. Anyway, I
    think I'll have to put on my schedule next month to do a rebuild of the
    system. It seems like such a trivial problem, but now that I see it
    effecting the icons in the software I use then it's time to bite the bullet
    and wipe the drive.

    Thanks for your worthy efforts.

    Brian

    > Brian,
    >
    > Use the "Repair icons" feature in Tweak UI.
    >
    > TweakUI v2.00 for Windows XP/XP MCE [564 KB].

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    > TweakUI v2.10 for Windows XP SP1/XP MCE/2003 [147 KB].

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    > Sometimes, Tweak UI corrupts the icons by assigning incorrect value to
    Shell
    > Icon BPP. If that happens, see:
    >
    > Icons get corrupted after using Tweak UI "Rebuild Icons" function:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm
    >
    > Another option is to delete the iconcache.db file present in this folder:
    >
    > %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I did that too! Nothing seems to work. How frustrating...
    > >

    > > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >> Did you set both to 32?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > >> "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    > > their

    > > blocky
    > > were
    > > anyway
    > > the
    > > have
    > > these
    > > resolution.
    > > zoom.

    > > it
    > > the
    > > display.

    Did you check to see if it was something as simple as the monitor resolution
    or color depth?

    Click Start> Control Panel> Appearance and Themes> Display
    Next click the 'Settings' Tab.
    Drag the 'Screen Resolution' slider one click to the right and click
    'apply'. Change the color quality to a higher setting.
    Preferable 32 bit (or whatever the highest is).

    > Hi Ramesh,
    >
    > You seem to be a wealth of information. However, my system still eludes
    > you.
    > Running the TweakUI makes the icons blink on and off (obviously resetting
    > them) but the resolution is still bad. Delete the IconCache didn't have
    > any
    > effect. In fact, with the litte Norton AV icon when the system boots up it
    > draws a red X over it until its fully loaded. That little red X is just a
    > bunch of tiny boxes connected by their corners. It looks like a line drawn
    > by a computer back in the 80s when you had really bad monitors. Plus, when
    > open some programs that use icons I see that their resolution is the same.
    > However, the desktop icons are very clean with smooth rounding. Anyway, I
    > think I'll have to put on my schedule next month to do a rebuild of the
    > system. It seems like such a trivial problem, but now that I see it
    > effecting the icons in the software I use then it's time to bite the
    > bullet
    > and wipe the drive.
    >
    > Thanks for your worthy efforts.
    >
    > Brian

    >> Brian,
    >>
    >> Use the "Repair icons" feature in Tweak UI.
    >>
    >> TweakUI v2.00 for Windows XP/XP MCE [564 KB].
    >>
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    >>
    >> TweakUI v2.10 for Windows XP SP1/XP MCE/2003 [147 KB].
    >>
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    >>
    >> Sometimes, Tweak UI corrupts the icons by assigning incorrect value to
    > Shell
    >> Icon BPP. If that happens, see:
    >>
    >> Icons get corrupted after using Tweak UI "Rebuild Icons" function:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm
    >>
    >> Another option is to delete the iconcache.db file present in this folder:
    >>
    >> %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Brian Bischof" <Brian@NoSpamBischofSystems.com> wrote in message
    >> > Yes, I did that too! Nothing seems to work. How frustrating...
    >> >

    >> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    >> > their

    > low
    > know.