Need Administrator Rights to Install 3COM Diagnostics

We are using 3COM's embedded firewall product with the
3COM network cards model 3CRFW103. When I go to install
the 3COM diagnostics for the card I receive the message
indicating I am not an administrator and the install
fails. I am an administrator and can install any other
software product witout a problem.

I have narrowed down the problem this far. If I have 1 to
19 NT groups assigned to my NT ID, I can run the 3COM
diagnostics install program. If I have 20 or more NT
groups assigned to my NT ID, I receive the message that
says I do not have administrator rights and the install
fails.

I reported this problem to 3COM and they don't feel this
is a problem with their software and suggest I contact
Microsoft to see if this is a problem with the OS. I am
not sure exactly what 3COM is getting at. Why would the
number of NT groups assigned to my NT ID cause me to loose
Administrator rights with the 3COM Diagnostics program?

Firewall
2 answers Last reply
More about need administrator rights install 3com diagnostics

    Firewall,

    I am not sure that this has anything to do with the number of groups of
    which your user account object is a member. I would think that it is simply
    a matter of either being a member of the computer's local Administrators
    group or not.

    There is a lot of software that requires that the domain user account object
    that you are using when attempting to install software is a member of the
    local computer's Administrator group. This is because of access to registry
    keys and folders. As a member of the local computer's Administrator group
    you have everything. As a member of the local computer's Users group - or
    to a lesser degree of the local computer's Power Users group - you have
    limited access to those registry keys and folders.

    I might suggest that you go to http://www.sysinternals.com and take a look
    at filemon and regmon. This will show you what I mean.

    Again, I am not sure that the number of domain groups of which the domain
    user account object has anything to do with the installation on local
    computers. But, then again, what do I know? ;-)

    Cary

    "Firewall" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are using 3COM's embedded firewall product with the
    > 3COM network cards model 3CRFW103. When I go to install
    > the 3COM diagnostics for the card I receive the message
    > indicating I am not an administrator and the install
    > fails. I am an administrator and can install any other
    > software product witout a problem.
    >
    > I have narrowed down the problem this far. If I have 1 to
    > 19 NT groups assigned to my NT ID, I can run the 3COM
    > diagnostics install program. If I have 20 or more NT
    > groups assigned to my NT ID, I receive the message that
    > says I do not have administrator rights and the install
    > fails.
    >
    > I reported this problem to 3COM and they don't feel this
    > is a problem with their software and suggest I contact
    > Microsoft to see if this is a problem with the OS. I am
    > not sure exactly what 3COM is getting at. Why would the
    > number of NT groups assigned to my NT ID cause me to loose
    > Administrator rights with the 3COM Diagnostics program?
    >
    > Firewall

    It may be a red herring, but see if
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263693 is applicable.

    It is not unusual for groups to be nested, so the number of groups a user
    account is a member of can get quite large.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing

    "Firewall" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are using 3COM's embedded firewall product with the
    > 3COM network cards model 3CRFW103. When I go to install
    > the 3COM diagnostics for the card I receive the message
    > indicating I am not an administrator and the install
    > fails. I am an administrator and can install any other
    > software product witout a problem.
    >
    > I have narrowed down the problem this far. If I have 1 to
    > 19 NT groups assigned to my NT ID, I can run the 3COM
    > diagnostics install program. If I have 20 or more NT
    > groups assigned to my NT ID, I receive the message that
    > says I do not have administrator rights and the install
    > fails.
    >
    > I reported this problem to 3COM and they don't feel this
    > is a problem with their software and suggest I contact
    > Microsoft to see if this is a problem with the OS. I am
    > not sure exactly what 3COM is getting at. Why would the
    > number of NT groups assigned to my NT ID cause me to loose
    > Administrator rights with the 3COM Diagnostics program?
    >
    > Firewall

Policy 3Com Software Firewalls Microsoft Windows