Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have received error messages stating that my ODBC drivers may be
damaged. I am running WIN XP Home, SP2 on a brand new machine, and the
instructions I have found to fix this problem involves uninstalling SP2
and reinstalling it. This seems like a rather severe solution,
especially when the computer I have did not come with diske, merely a
system restore process.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malke

Ken Gash wrote:

> I have received error messages stating that my ODBC drivers may be
> damaged. I am running WIN XP Home, SP2 on a brand new machine, and
> the instructions I have found to fix this problem involves
> uninstalling SP2
> and reinstalling it. This seems like a rather severe solution,
> especially when the computer I have did not come with diske, merely a
> system restore process.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When are you getting the error message? What is the exact text? Are you
running a particular program when you get the message? And where did
you find the instructions saying to uninstall SP2?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Ken Gash" <kgash@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have received error messages stating that my ODBC drivers may be
> damaged. I am running WIN XP Home, SP2 on a brand new machine, and the
> instructions I have found to fix this problem involves uninstalling SP2
> and reinstalling it. This seems like a rather severe solution,
> especially when the computer I have did not come with diske, merely a
> system restore process.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the exact error message?
Try upgrading the mdac as noted here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

In article <eH86xPLEFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
malke@nospoonnotreally.com says...
> Ken Gash wrote:
>
> > I have received error messages stating that my ODBC drivers may be
> > damaged. I am running WIN XP Home, SP2 on a brand new machine, and
> > the instructions I have found to fix this problem involves
> > uninstalling SP2
> > and reinstalling it. This seems like a rather severe solution,
> > especially when the computer I have did not come with diske, merely a
> > system restore process.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> When are you getting the error message? What is the exact text? Are you
> running a particular program when you get the message? And where did
> you find the instructions saying to uninstall SP2?
>
> Malke

Got the error message when installing MS Office XP, and again later when
I tried to run Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. The Adobe support site is
where the instructions for uninstalling SP2 were given.
As it turns out, I found the cause and solution to the problem. The
cause is Corel Word Perfect 10 Office Suite. I installed it, then
uninstalled it. This caused the ODBC registry entried to be deleted and
replaced with useless ones. The solution was to copy the registry
entries from a "good" system and update the registry. This worked
great. There is also another solution on the Corel support site:
run odbcconf /f odbcconf.rsp from ..Windows\system32.
Thanks for your response.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <9%dPd.64475$eT5.4053@attbi_s51>, johnnylingo@spammenot.com
says...

> "Ken Gash" <kgash@cox.net> wrote in message
> >I have received error messages stating that my ODBC drivers may be
> > damaged. I am running WIN XP Home, SP2 on a brand new machine, and the
> > instructions I have found to fix this problem involves uninstalling SP2
> > and reinstalling it. This seems like a rather severe solution,
> > especially when the computer I have did not come with diske, merely a
> > system restore process.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> What is the exact error message?
> Try upgrading the mdac as noted here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

Tried that, mdac will not run on SP2.
See response I sent to another in this thread.
Thanks for your response.