Only mono sound(one speaker)

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
so as of recently i have had a problem with my sound, my headphones only give sound to the right speaker and the subwoofer, and my headphones only give sound to my left ear. I tough the problem might be that the onboard sound was bad so i bought a creative soundblaster Audigy SE($29.99). Now i still have sound on only one side(it sounds great, but still only one side), so i ran a kaspersky virus scan. I cached like 2 viruses and nothing else, i removed them and still the problem persist. Can anyone tell me if there is any other thing that it could be that is not that both my headphones and speakers got bad at the same time(this is probable though). I was still planning on buying new speakers soon, i just want to make sure that the problem is not the motherboard or some other thing that would make me waste more money after i get the speakers(~$250).

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
you checked the sound options in control panel right? made sure the sliders arent all the way to one side? also check the way control panel sees your speakers- it should be as desktop stereo speakers, not a mono setup.

and you said the speakers only give sound to the rigth channel, and the headphones only to the left?

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
im assuming your running XP. double click sounds in control panel. in the volume tab, at the bottom, click advanced under speaker settings.

try grabbing another set of headphones from a friend to test.

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
yea i checked that already, thanks anyways. i will see what i can do to get other set of speakers, but i am very busy this week.