Disabling MSIE caching with GPO

Hi.

I'd like to either disable MSIE 5/6 cache or empty Temporary Internet Files
when MSIE closes for all our LAN users with a GPO. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Vince C.

Hi,

The workaround provided limits the size of "Temporary Internet Files", so
that it does not grow and be concerned with disk space being filled up.

There are 2 Methods:
1. Group Policy in Windows 2000
2. Edit Registry on individual systems

Method 1: Group Policy
====================
Here's where you can set the cache size to 0 or to you prefered size limit.

1. Open Group Policy.
2 User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance
3. You have to go into IE maintenance preference mode. Right click
"Internet Explorer Maintenance" and select "preference mode". The advanced
options will now be available. The IE cache settings are under corporate
settings.
4. The "Advanced" option will be enabled under "User Configuration\Windows
Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance"
5. In "Advanced" open the "Corporate Settings" properties
6. Once the properties windows open up, got to Temporary Internet Files
[Machine]
7. Set the value of the disk space below "set amount of disk space to use
(in kilobytes)"

Method 2. Editing Registry:
=======================
This solution involves editing the registry.

Please read Microsoft's warning BEFORE using regedit.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems. Use
Registry Editor at your own risk.

Note: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed

This policy should be Enabled. This option determines whether or not web
pages and other objects are saved locally. Enabling this option will not
allow saving of Internet files by the browser. Instead, files will be
deleted and may limit attacks which rely on preplacement of content in the
cache.

On the other hand, if users have roaming profiles, then there is local
network bandwidth consumed by transferring the profile on logon/logoff, so
there is also an operational reason to leave this feature enabled.

(the registry flag :
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Cache\Persistent, set at 0x0)

Hope this helps ......

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
--From: "Vince C." <noname@hotmail.com>
--Subject: Disabling MSIE caching with GPO
--Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:25:01 +0200
--Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
--
--Hi.
--

"Ashokan Achari [MSFT]" <v-ashach@microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi,
>
> The workaround provided limits the size of "Temporary Internet Files", so
> that it does not grow and be concerned with disk space being filled up.
>
> There are 2 Methods:
> 1. Group Policy in Windows 2000
> 2. Edit Registry on individual systems

Thanks Ashokan. The purpose is to prevent viruses to be kept in IE cache.
There are viruses that cannot be removed from the cache. These viruses use
this place I guess since it's almost impossible to remove them from there...
Suggestion number X to MS group policies :-D.

Group policy doesn't allow me to store less than 1024 KB. Editing the
registry on each machine is *not* an option to us. So I guess there is no -
prebuilt - way to force MSIE (with GPO) to empty its bloody cache upon
exiting... Have to create one myself I guess.

Vince C.