GA-965P-DQ6 revision 1 vs. 2 ?

gixxer3000

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Just picked up this board and it's a rev 1.0.

Any major difference between the 2 versions ?

Im still waiting for my RAM to arrive so havent had time to play with it yet.

Would it be better to return it and try and find a rev 2.0 ?

/Regards, Gixxer....

dwaleke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I don't know about the differences, but I have a rev 2 board and I have all the same problems with the F8 and F9 bioses that are out. I think both rev 1 and rev 2 have similiar issues. I don't know what the common thread is between us with issues.

Although I am having issues with the F8 and F9 I am very happy with my system running the F7 bios. I do not regret getting the board at all.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I asked a similar question about the DS4, and the answer is that it's a different version of the chipset. The rev1 carries the "C1" chipset, and the rev2 carries the "C2" chipset. I can't remember now what the differences are, but they are minor.

I found this which highlights the differences between the different steppings... It's a different board, but the difference in chipsets still apply.

Hope this answers your question.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
there not really much difference at all they both used the exact same bios, only the layout and the new minor stepping change (which is a direct drop in)

kcconlin9319

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
One difference is the LAN controller (Marvell 8056 vs 8053).

I'm happy with my Rev. 1, but it's expensive to turn a motherboard and Gigabyte must have had a compelling reason. If I had the choice I'd go with Rev. 2.

dwaleke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
On paper the 680i specs are awesome. If you are into overclocking you be better off waiting for some rev 2 stuff for those. Read the reviews and talk to folks working with it. Not too many people are having a lot of success with them. The DQ6 board is much better in this regard. Now if you're a hard core SLI or crossfire guy then maybe you are drawn to the 680. Unless you plan on doing dual 8800s I'd just get a 8800 GTX and a DQ6. One 8800 GTX will pretty much destroy any existing SLI/Crossfire setup out there aside from itself in SLI. Read the reviews on that as well.

wbirkin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
knowing that 16x/4x has no difference in performance than 8x/8x, and after reading this thread, i dont regret getting this board anymore

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
also if u get any p965 board remember you are goin to need a SATA DVD drive to install Vista and some linux versions
Why? The P965 chipset may not support PATA but the motherboards still do. All the P965 based motherboards I've seen supply 1 PATA connector (for 2x PATA devices) by throwing on a PATA controller chipset from JMicron or Silicon Image.

Why do you imply that a SATA DVD is required?

-john

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I don't know about the differences, but I have a rev 2 board and I have all the same problems with the F8 and F9 bioses that are out. I think both rev 1 and rev 2 have similiar issues. I don't know what the common thread is between us with issues.

Although I am having issues with the F8 and F9 I am very happy with my system running the F7 bios. I do not regret getting the board at all.

Same here. I'm back at the vF7 BIOS. I tried F8 & the new F9 & it's the same problems with both of the latest version after the F7 version. Click Here & Read this thread for more history on the F8/F9 headaches...

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

Same here. I'm back at the vF7 BIOS. I tried F8 & the new F9 & it's the same problems with both of the latest version after the F7 version. Click Here & Read this thread for more history on the F8/F9 headaches...

Odd. I couldn't use the f8 BIOS, but the F9 BIOS solved all my problems. I'm running my FSB at 415MHz right now, in fact. While I was tweaking, I had it as high as 429 before my RAM went stupid.
If anyone's interested, these are my stable settings:

FSB 415
CPU Multiplier (E6600) 7
DDR2 +0.225v
FSB +0.15v
MCH +0.25v
Memory Multiplier 2 (OCZ DDR2-800 RAM at 5-5-5-12)
Default Vcore.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Odd. I couldn't use the f8 BIOS, but the F9 BIOS solved all my problems. I'm running my FSB at 415MHz right now, in fact. While I was tweaking, I had it as high as 429 before my RAM went stupid.

FSB 415
CPU Multiplier (E6600) 7
DDR2 +0.225v
FSB +0.15v
MCH +0.25v
Default Vcore.

Wass-sup guy...
Anytime I mess with the MCH option I have to set the jumper on the motherbo to reset the BIOS & start over again.

PS: I didn't know you had the same RAM I do. This makes it better for me cuz I can compare apples to apples with ya (not like "My setup is like your, too, duh-huh, duh-huh, my mobo werx fine & I have a rev2.0 with an 805 CPU, blah-blah-blah..."). Ya know how I'm talkin about...

I'll try my mobo again with your settings & see if I can get past one flawless reboot, once I re-flash back to version F9. Let ya know later.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

FSB 415
CPU Multiplier (E6600) 7
DDR2 +0.225v
FSB +0.15v
MCH +0.25v
Default Vcore.

Wass-sup guy...
Anytime I mess with the MCH option I have to set the jumper on the motherbo to reset the BIOS & start over again.

PS: I didn't know you had the same RAM I do. This makes it better for me cuz I can compare apples to apples with ya (not like "My setup is like your, too, duh-huh, duh-huh, my mobo werx fine & I have a rev2.0 with an 805 CPU, blah-blah-blah..."). Ya know how I'm talkin about...

I'll try my mobo again with your settings & see if I can get past one flawless reboot, once I re-flash back to version F9. Let ya know later.

I installed a pushbutton to a spare case slot cover and connected it to the "Clear Cmos" pins so I can reset my CMOS without opening the case.

Oh, and I set the PCI-e bus to 100MHz.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006

FSB 415
CPU Multiplier (E6600) 7
DDR2 +0.225v
FSB +0.15v
MCH +0.25v
Default Vcore.

Wass-sup guy...

I installed a pushbutton to a spare case slot cover and connected it to the "Clear Cmos" pins so I can reset my CMOS without opening the case.

Oh, and I set the PCI-e bus to 100MHz.

Cool dude. That's a sound idea. Now all you need to do is put a patent on it before..., Doh!!!, too late, DELL has it's lawyers stealing your idea already.

PS: ...don't forget to check the tranny fluid after that mod...

pogi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
img1106wk1.jpg

img1109ap3.jpg

gigaoct25pv9.jpg

giga1cp2.jpg

Intel C2D E6600
Giga DQ6 rev1