Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Survey: only 12% of gamers use dual core processors

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Dual Core
Last response: in CPUs

For gamers only: Do you use a dual core processor?

Total: 154 votes

  • Yes
  • 67 %
  • No
  • 34 %
January 21, 2007 5:12:43 PM

Quote:
According to the automatic survey by Valve Software, about 50.36% of Steam users have computers running Intel processors, whereas AMD-based systems are utilized by 49.64% of all 847 thousand of gamers who have Steam installed.

The vast majority of gamers – 87.39% - still have systems with one processing engine, however, already 12.56%, or about 106 thousand of users at press time, own a system that has two physical central processing units (CPUs), including those who have dual-processor machines as well as PCs based on dual-core microprocessors. About 0.05% of users – or 416 people – have a system with four cores, while 2 gamers are lucky enough to own a personal computer with 8 CPUs.


http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070118143553...

While the conclusion of their survey is undeniable... i question whether these numbers are conclusive for all gamers. I suspect the number of dual core users is higher across the board.

What do ya'll think?

EDIT: I added a poll

More about : survey gamers dual core processors

January 21, 2007 5:17:18 PM

A poll here is a bit skewed as many people here are enthusiasts who prefer to stay nearer to the cutting edge when they can afford it.
January 21, 2007 5:18:44 PM

Quote:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070118143553...

While the conclusion of their survey is undeniable... i question whether these numbers are conclusive for all gamers. I suspect the number of dual core users is higher across the board.

What do ya'll think?


Not a really surprising result:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20051201235525...

Quote:
Pat Gelsinger, Intel’s vice-president vice president of digital enterprise group indicated to attendees of A.G. Edwards computer/microprocessor technology conference that shipments of performance dual-core processors will exceed shipments of single-core chips starting from the Q3 2006, a few quarters from now.
Related resources
January 21, 2007 5:21:16 PM

My own experience: I still do not use any dual-core computers. But I will upgrade my desktop to dual-core AMD processor after x2 3600+ drops below $100.
January 21, 2007 5:40:23 PM

Quote:
What do ya'll think?

No surprise.

The popular games on Steam, HL2, CS and such, are not very demanding, and people can run games fine with older P4s and Athlons.

This was my thought exactly. I'd like to see the percentages on a game like Oblivion.

That's why I'm not 100% convinced this survey is all that accurate. But who knows... maybe it is.
January 21, 2007 5:40:56 PM

I am still running an old Celeron 2ghz with 512mb of ddr 266 and geforce fx5200 on apg 4x. The PC sucks overall, though I use it to run a game called Freespace2_Open, using the latest build (3.6.9 Final) and the adveffects mediaVP's (3.6.8 zeta). The OGG cutscenes are cool too.
January 21, 2007 5:45:03 PM

LOL... look at the share between ATI and nVidia video cards. Right along market share percentage lines. Pretty interesting. Also, did u see the percentage of those using 2.0GB or more of RAM? .06%. Wow!

And yeah... Crossfire is pwned by SLI in Source. Another surprising fact.
January 21, 2007 6:02:09 PM

Quote:
What do ya'll think?

No surprise.

The popular games on Steam, HL2, CS and such, are not very demanding, and people can run games fine with older P4s and Athlons.

This was my thought exactly. I'd like to see the percentages on a game like Oblivion.

That's why I'm not 100% convinced this survey is all that accurate. But who knows... maybe it is.

I remember reading a THG review last year where they werent too impressed with last years PC game offerings overall, and I would tend to agree. Oblivions eye candy was impressive to say the least, but as D3 was to doom, Oblivion was to morrowind, which is to say the gameplay didnt seem to be improved signifcantly. Q4 was more eye candy, but so linear I felt a little disapointed.

Except for folks who wanted eye candy over game play, not much reason to upgrade, so I agree with you. This year may be a little different. Crysis, C&C III, etc are due out so who knows, they may may force some upgrades.

I also cant help but wonder how many enthusiasts have been holding out on replacing their systems while waiting for CPU prices to fall farther and for the introduction of Vista ( :roll: ) DX10 and DX 10 video cards
January 21, 2007 6:21:14 PM

I'd like to know the methodology used to gather this information...
January 21, 2007 6:33:55 PM

Quote:
A poll here is a bit skewed as many people here are enthusiasts who prefer to stay nearer to the cutting edge when they can afford it.


yeah, i was going to say the same thing... too bad you beat me by a few hours lol.

Quote:
I'd like to know the methodology used to gather this information...


i don't know about the other survey, but for the Valve survey, they ask you when you log in to your account for like the first time. its not like they just guess. its a pretty inclusive survey.

Quote:
I remember reading a THG review last year where they werent too impressed with last years PC game offerings overall, and I would tend to agree. Oblivions eye candy was impressive to say the least, but as D3 was to doom, Oblivion was to morrowind, which is to say the gameplay didnt seem to be improved signifcantly. Q4 was more eye candy, but so linear I felt a little disapointed.

Except for folks who wanted eye candy over game play, not much reason to upgrade, so I agree with you. This year may be a little different. Crysis, C&C III, etc are due out so who knows, they may may force some upgrades.

I also cant help but wonder how many enthusiasts have been holding out on replacing their systems while waiting for CPU prices to fall farther and for the introduction of Vista ( Rolling Eyes ) DX10 and DX 10 video cards


i must say that i've noticed a similar trend. Gabe Newell, i believe, over at Valve was talking about how even dual core procs aren't enough for what they want to do with them ( 8O ) but it just seems like videogaming is locked in a graphics arms-race... thats why i'm getting a wii! hooray for (hopefully) enjoyable innovation!

well, thats not to say that there aren't some amazing things that aren't graphics-driven, for example check out http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=27393 . if you've got a few min. to watch it, its really mind-blowing. THAT is a demo that i'd imagine needs a dual-core proc, and that is a game that (although its beautiful) isn't relying on its graphics.

i'm perfectly fine with my ~4 yr old sempron for gaming on the source engine, but i would like to switch if funds allow it. its not so much a need at this time as it is a want, like dual-cores are a preemptive measure against the future. oh well. i'd like to see some amazing gameplay BEYOND graphics, but then again there are those that really enjoyed Oblivion's story...
January 21, 2007 6:38:15 PM

It doesn't really suprise me, a lot of people brought a pentium 4 or early athlon 3x00+ (including me :p  ) when they came out so it will still take some years before the major part of the gamers have moved on to dualcore-systems
January 21, 2007 6:39:45 PM

It's kind of like they guess... Look at some of the detailed questions / answers... Take, for instance, the number of people that THINK they have a 10 Mbps connection...
January 21, 2007 6:42:43 PM

well, it only asks about SOME of the topic areas... a lot of the hardware-based questions it figures out itself. it asks like 5 q's and then scans your machine. so yeah, i think that could be a skewed one b/c they do ask you that, but the other ones are pretty fair.
January 21, 2007 6:50:45 PM

Still leaves me wondering on the methodology. 10Mbps is a strange number for adsl or dsl. Just me...

Still, interesting survey. Like JJ I have to also go 'WOW: Look at the SLI numbers!'
January 21, 2007 6:56:03 PM

The statistics are realtime and are accurate - I posted the link here (Graphics forum) at the beginning of last week along withm commentary on the SI / Crossfire proportions etc. they've been publically avaialble for a long time now.

Dual core will be driven by the gaming market (consumers) far more than 64 bit in the short term which is now wholly driven by the developers.
January 21, 2007 7:03:25 PM

I agree fully.There are more dual core processors being used than the survey shows.I am one of them.And frankly I believe that nulti core processors are the way to go especially for the next few years.Anyways,just my thought on things.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 21, 2007 7:07:13 PM

Quote:
According to the automatic survey by Valve Software, about 50.36% of Steam users have computers running Intel processors, whereas AMD-based systems are utilized by 49.64% of all 847 thousand of gamers who have Steam installed.

The vast majority of gamers – 87.39% - still have systems with one processing engine, however, already 12.56%, or about 106 thousand of users at press time, own a system that has two physical central processing units (CPUs), including those who have dual-processor machines as well as PCs based on dual-core microprocessors. About 0.05% of users – or 416 people – have a system with four cores, while 2 gamers are lucky enough to own a personal computer with 8 CPUs.


http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070118143553...

While the conclusion of their survey is undeniable... i question whether these numbers are conclusive for all gamers. I suspect the number of dual core users is higher across the board.

What do ya'll think?

EDIT: I added a poll


Well, if you look at the number of people who come here wanting to upgrade from single core, I can actually believe that.
January 21, 2007 7:13:31 PM

Quote:


i must say that i've noticed a similar trend. Gabe Newell, i believe, over at Valve was talking about how even dual core procs aren't enough for what they want to do with them ( 8O ) but it just seems like videogaming is locked in a graphics arms-race... thats why i'm getting a wii! hooray for (hopefully) enjoyable innovation!

well, thats not to say that there aren't some amazing things that aren't graphics-driven, for example check out http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=27393 . if you've got a few min. to watch it, its really mind-blowing. THAT is a demo that i'd imagine needs a dual-core proc, and that is a game that (although its beautiful) isn't relying on its graphics.

i'm perfectly fine with my ~4 yr old sempron for gaming on the source engine, but i would like to switch if funds allow it. its not so much a need at this time as it is a want, like dual-cores are a preemptive measure against the future. oh well. i'd like to see some amazing gameplay BEYOND graphics, but then again there are those that really enjoyed Oblivion's story...



That was an amazing demo..thanks for linking.

The grapics in that were amazing, but what interested me more was the concept of expanding perception. As you said, it was amazing and it wasnt relying on graphics to achieve that.

Too bad it was only a conceptual experiment. Looking at that, IMO a simple version would have big sales potential with architects and interior designers, allowing them to quickly sample and demo changes/variations with customers, prior to commencing construction or modeling. A great way to save money and insure the customer will be pleased with the end product.

Hell, that would be fun to play with just as it was.

Im not knocking oblivion, not at all, just saying it is what it is ..The elder scolls IV. There were some disappointments. The recuring modularity of caves, forts, temples, oblivion levels etc, the dropping of the underwater variations from morrowind etc. Overall very evolutionary rather than revolutionary..which again is not a bad thing, just an observation. On that note, Oblivion was one of the few highlights for gamers from last year.
January 21, 2007 7:24:36 PM

Quote:

.......
Finally, it is about 50/50 Intel/AMD which is odd, I expected AMD to be dominant on DT/retail/DYIer builds in this.... Intel's portion is much higher than I would have expected.

Jack


That suprised me too. I was thinking the same thing. :?
January 21, 2007 8:01:11 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Wholly crud, look at the dichotomy between SLI vs Xfire .... no contest.

Jack


Somehow that's not surprising at all. I've had SLI in the past, but then went to an ATI card. But, because of the idiot way ATI made Crossfire need an special motherboard, doing Crossfire on my motherboard was next to impossible. I'm not going to buy a special motherboard for an ATI card, because the next time around I might get an Nvidia card.

I think AMD/ATI would be really smart if they design the next generation of Crossifr so that it doesn't require a special motherboard. Then maybe they could sell more Crossfire systems.
January 21, 2007 8:04:56 PM

Quote:

.......
Finally, it is about 50/50 Intel/AMD which is odd, I expected AMD to be dominant on DT/retail/DYIer builds in this.... Intel's portion is much higher than I would have expected.

Jack


That suprised me too. I was thinking the same thing. :?

Bear in mind what sort of survey you are looking at. Steam users only. there are plenty of people on Steam playing on Mum & Dad's PC, or their old one.

These are 'normal' owners playing on 'normal retail' PCs.
January 21, 2007 8:09:48 PM

I'm not really surprised. I'd also like to see just how many people have Graphics Cards. It might be lower than you guys think :tongue:
January 21, 2007 8:10:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not really surprised. I'd also like to see just how many people have Graphics Cards. It might be lower than you guys think :tongue:



Whats a..."Graphics Card" :?: :?: :?: :?: :wink:
January 22, 2007 12:57:42 AM

Quote:


That was an amazing demo..thanks for linking.

The grapics in that were amazing, but what interested me more was the concept of expanding perception. As you said, it was amazing and it wasnt relying on graphics to achieve that.

Too bad it was only a conceptual experiment. Looking at that, IMO a simple version would have big sales potential with architects and interior designers, allowing them to quickly sample and demo changes/variations with customers, prior to commencing construction or modeling. A great way to save money and insure the customer will be pleased with the end product.

Hell, that would be fun to play with just as it was.

Im not knocking oblivion, not at all, just saying it is what it is ..The elder scolls IV. There were some disappointments. The recuring modularity of caves, forts, temples, oblivion levels etc, the dropping of the underwater variations from morrowind etc. Overall very evolutionary rather than revolutionary..which again is not a bad thing, just an observation. On that note, Oblivion was one of the few highlights for gamers from last year.


yeah, man, omg i was SO let down when he said "i don't think this will ever become a game" because it was sheer amazing! the portals... omg.... i just want that demo....! it said something about the environment aging and stuff... well needless to say that was BEAUTIFUL and i don't mean just gfx.
January 22, 2007 1:41:58 AM

Peter Molyneux is truly a visionary. While Carmack is out bitching about developer tools and dual core processors, Molyneux is using his creativity... something Carmack lacks completely. The only problem is Molyneux hasn't really been able to make a superhit. And sometimes he goes a little too far with his ideas. Despite what Peter thinks, most of us have short attention spans... and thus games like Black and White & The Movies don't have replay value. A lot of people play games for a quick release... which is why the action genre is so popular with developers. It's also why GTA is one of the best selling franchises in history.

Still, I think Molyneux adds a better, more interesting dimension to gaming than that nerd Carmack.

Trust me, Carmack's next release (which he won't talk about) isn't going to do anything new for the genre it competes in... which is probably FPS. I leave the cool stuff to Valve. (Portal looks f'ing awesome)
January 22, 2007 1:46:18 AM

oh... one more thing. at the time that video was released, portals were a new idea. the only problem is 3DRealms had already been working on something very similar for Prey. Prey uses that portal technology, though not to the same degree. Still, it's very cool stuff.

(i acknowledge that 3DRealms may have ripped off the portal idea from Molyneux... but who knows.)
January 22, 2007 2:07:59 AM

I have a dual opteron set up. Although its not dual core, its almost the same I guess.

I voted single core....
January 22, 2007 2:41:15 AM

I have an opteron 148 I think :) 
January 22, 2007 2:59:21 AM

Quote:
Peter Molyneux is truly a visionary. While Carmack is out bitching about developer tools and dual core processors, Molyneux is using his creativity... something Carmack lacks completely. The only problem is Molyneux hasn't really been able to make a superhit. And sometimes he goes a little too far with his ideas. Despite what Peter thinks, most of us have short attention spans... and thus games like Black and White & The Movies don't have replay value. A lot of people play games for a quick release... which is why the action genre is so popular with developers. It's also why GTA is one of the best selling franchises in history.

Still, I think Molyneux adds a better, more interesting dimension to gaming than that nerd Carmack.

Trust me, Carmack's next release (which he won't talk about) isn't going to do anything new for the genre it competes in... which is probably FPS. I leave the cool stuff to Valve. (Portal looks f'ing awesome)


I take it you are unhappy with Carmack nowadays ;) 

i just think he's overrated. his interview with anandtech really irked me for some strange reason. i think it was the lack of vision he displayed... i used to really respect the guy. :cry: 
January 22, 2007 3:11:58 AM

Quote:
Peter Molyneux is truly a visionary. While Carmack is out bitching about developer tools and dual core processors, Molyneux is using his creativity... something Carmack lacks completely. The only problem is Molyneux hasn't really been able to make a superhit. And sometimes he goes a little too far with his ideas. Despite what Peter thinks, most of us have short attention spans... and thus games like Black and White & The Movies don't have replay value. A lot of people play games for a quick release... which is why the action genre is so popular with developers. It's also why GTA is one of the best selling franchises in history.

Still, I think Molyneux adds a better, more interesting dimension to gaming than that nerd Carmack.

Trust me, Carmack's next release (which he won't talk about) isn't going to do anything new for the genre it competes in... which is probably FPS. I leave the cool stuff to Valve. (Portal looks f'ing awesome)



I dont think Carmack will be much of a force in PC gaming in the future. Unless you talk to Baron who seemed convinced Carmack was hard at work on D4. From everything Carmack has said, once this new game is out (and it wont be D4 or Q5 according to him), hes done with PC games.

B&W was mildly interesting, but as you said - no replay value. Its interesting how much of an updated 'populus' B&W reminded me. Of course, its hard to make a superhit nowadays..originality is a huge factor. Everythings been done to death and them some. The only thing most people can look forward to are improved graphics and physics. That was one of the things I found very interesting about that trailer...even though it was old, playing with peoples perpective that way seemed very original, IMO. Very much-Alice In Wonderland-(not American McGees) I would love to see some original content..not just another FPS, RTS or QA with variations of social situations i.e war, auto theft, drug dealing etc, Leeroy Jenkins.

Taking 'the room's perspective bending and adapting that to an Alice "" style story line, with a little darkside thrown in could be very interesting, and maybe original enough to make it a contender. Or applying it to Douglas Adams Starship Titanic and actually making it a real game instead of the read-along-book that it was.

I dunno, but "the room"s originality piqued my interest enough to want more :D 
a c 637 à CPUs
January 22, 2007 3:58:31 AM

While I do have an E6600 and I do play games, I don't rally consider myself a hardcore gamer. I bought it for some serious multi-tasking so that I can play a game and convert video at the same time, or convert two videos at the same time.
January 22, 2007 4:09:45 AM

Quote:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070118143553...

While the conclusion of their survey is undeniable... i question whether these numbers are conclusive for all gamers. I suspect the number of dual core users is higher across the board.

What do ya'll think?

EDIT: I added a poll


The numbers are meaningless, as is any results from this poll, since the sample is self selecting.

My guess is that the numbers from Xbit are probably higher than the general population, as I would think that most of their readers are enthusiasts who upgrade more frequently than the average gamer. It's just a guess, but my guess is about as valid as an online poll, so what the hell.
January 22, 2007 4:20:05 AM

You'd be surprised how many old P4 and Socket A users are on the forumz. Thats why the AGP cards for your old system artile was such a huge success. Everyone liked it. Only the one guy was upset coz Cleeve didn't include the 7600GS. I only upgraded like 3 weeks back. (was forced due to system failure).
January 22, 2007 4:30:21 AM

1 Gb to 1.49 Gb 37,547 4.30 %
1.5 Gb to 1.99 Gb 125,596 14.39 %

There's no way this is accurate.
January 22, 2007 4:43:14 AM

It all depends who your talking about. If this is just concerning hardcore gamers, it's possible. If that's about the general public, no chance. It all depends on the target group...
January 22, 2007 4:56:47 AM

Quote:
1 Gb to 1.49 Gb 37,547 4.30 %
1.5 Gb to 1.99 Gb 125,596 14.39 %

There's no way this is accurate.


I don't know what you are refering too, are you talking about HD space??

Edit: oh your are taling about system RAM.... what makes you think this is not accurate?\

Those figures say that only 20% of people have a 1Gb or more.. thats gotta be crap. I mean is there any self-respecting hardcore geek here who doesn't have at least 1GB of ram?
January 22, 2007 4:59:22 AM

Considdering almost anything can run steam...

I wonder what the pc's of WOW players would be like...
January 22, 2007 5:54:51 AM

What is especially odd about that statistic, is that 1.5 to 1.99 is 4 times as prevelant as 1 to 1.49. 1.5 is extremely uncommon, it sacrifices dual-channel mode as it is an odd number of 512Mb DIMMs or is the unusual combination of a gig stick and a 512 stick. 1Gb however is very common.
January 22, 2007 5:55:02 AM

Our computers are l33t.

Ex. Rwaritsdario's 3040 Xeon powered rig, 3lfk1ngs E6600 powered pwner, and my X6800 powered rig.
January 22, 2007 6:21:55 AM

Quote:
What is especially odd about that statistic, is that 1.5 to 1.99 is 4 times as prevelant as 1 to 1.49. 1.5 is extremely uncommon, it sacrifices dual-channel mode as it is an odd number of 512Mb DIMMs or is the unusual combination of a gig stick and a 512 stick. 1Gb however is very common.


Jack, I don't know if you caught this post or not, but I was simply pointing out that the most common RAM set-ups are 512Mb, 1Gb, or 2Gb. I highly doubt four times as many people have 1.5 Gigs than they do 1Gb.
January 22, 2007 6:25:25 AM

Heh, we posted at the exact same time.

I understand how the math works out, and agree that that is it was done.

However, it's odd that they would represent it that way in the poll, when using the common, simplified terms would convey the results better.
January 22, 2007 6:33:20 AM

Heh, I'm not as dim as I may seem, I just gave this thread a cursory glance and that link of data seemed unusual.

After reading a little more, I fully understand now that it's just Steam's compiled data and that's the way it was represented. Sorry bout that.
January 22, 2007 6:39:23 AM

Quote:
What is especially odd about that statistic, is that 1.5 to 1.99 is 4 times as prevelant as 1 to 1.49. 1.5 is extremely uncommon, it sacrifices dual-channel mode as it is an odd number of 512Mb DIMMs or is the unusual combination of a gig stick and a 512 stick. 1Gb however is very common.


if you played games you would realize your numbers dont mean to much
people want the games to run. and they do run just fine with the GMA 3000 core. its cheaper it runs and no worrying about dimms or memory or the system

i play fear, D2, WOW, HL2 and some other random tests for games and have no problems. i saved 200 dollars

Heh, I like how this has nothing to do with anything. :D 
January 22, 2007 7:13:27 AM

Quote:
1 Gb to 1.49 Gb 37,547 4.30 %
1.5 Gb to 1.99 Gb 125,596 14.39 %

There's no way this is accurate.


512 Mb to 999 Mb 417,155 47.79 %

My old system registers as 999 MB even though I had 2 512 sticks. My friend's crappy 2000 dollar hp laptop has 2 1 GB sticks and registers as 1.99 GB. This information seems totally reliable to me.
January 22, 2007 7:32:54 AM

Yes, we resolved that.

At first glance, I assumed it was some kind of human polling; then I actually payed attention (the huge number of samples should have made it obvious in the first place) and realized it was data from Steam.
January 22, 2007 7:55:01 AM

Quote:
Considdering almost anything can run steam...

I wonder what the pc's of WOW players would be like...


Steam is just an online/software service client, games run code that is downloaded through steam. Such games represented are Half-life 2, and derivatives. Call of Duty/COD2, etc. When one signs up for steam they are requested to provide system specs, which is what this is made from.... they, the user base, is using high octane games one would typically run.... including some of the common benchmark games we see.

It is useless to run 'just steam' as it does really nothing.

Thus, when you look over the large sampling (upwards near 837,000 users or so), statistically this is a valid sampling and the numbers are likely accurate.

Have you not played HL2?sure I've played HL2.

By steam I meant the games on it as well but then again your smart enough to know that.

I think the figures are interesting. They are more accurate than what I would have ever been.