Samsung DLP's should I buy now?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 20, 2004 8:41:46 AM

I am looking to buy a new projection TV, probably a 50" and have been
reading as much as I can about the Samsung DLP and like about anything
else you research there is pro's and cons, so I thought I'd see if I
can get an up to date report from folks that have or sell the units.

I also have read that Samsung is about to deliver some new products
with upgrades, but do I want to be the ginny pig to find out all the
issues with a new model?

I have looked at the specs of both the 5065w and the 507w and both
look identical on paper, am I missing something or is this just a way
that Samsung delivers the same unit to different markets?

I like the "Table Top" design of the models, it will fit my set up
nicely, I don't want a floor model TV if I can stay away from it and
with the Samsung I can.

I currently watch mostly 4:3 tv as the cable company "charter" in my
area does not have digital, so I am thinking of changing to a sat set
up with HDTV. I do have components with component video out 480p I
guess, so I will be watching alot of movies on the new unit until I
get HDTV, but I will still have to watch 4:3 at times.

Finally, the bulb for the samsung, how much are they to replace, even
with 8000 hour life, if one were to watch 4-5 hours of TV each evening
that's about 2 years worth so the cost of the new bulb will be an
issue I'm sure.

Finally reliability? any comments.

Now for the big questions, what other unit should I be looking at for
my needs, I read that LCD is going away and Plasma with dead pixles
and high cost is a gamble.. so, what other options are there for a
bright room?

I plan to move to a new home with a theather set up and then I plan to
put a front projetion DLP with a drop down screen but for now, I"m
stuck with looking for the 46" - 50" tabletop models.

Please email me any comments, and suggetions to my email
davidk@eaglecanyon.com I"d appreciate it...

(by the way, it looks like Samsung is being blown out by AVS in NY at
about $2000 for the 507w does anyone know these guys and are they
reputable? Are the units USA certified and warrantied?, the web says
they are. Any comments on this vendor is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

More about : samsung dlp buy

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 20, 2004 5:36:26 PM

"Dave" <davidk@eaglecanyon.com> wrote in message

> I also have read that Samsung is about to deliver some new products
> with upgrades, but do I want to be the ginny pig to find out all the
> issues with a new model?

This will be the third generation of Samsung DLP sets. If anything, it will
be better and more reliable. If you can wait a little bit for it that would
be smart as you can either get a new HLP model or else get the HLN model for
less. We'll probably hear an announcement after this weekend's show in NY.

> I have looked at the specs of both the 5065w and the 507w and both
> look identical on paper, am I missing something or is this just a way
> that Samsung delivers the same unit to different markets?

I just saw something on this recently. They have the same internal
components, but one goes to Best Buy and one goes to Circuit City. One of
them advertises the Faroudja chip and the other doesn't, but both have it.

> I currently watch mostly 4:3 tv as the cable company "charter" in my
> area does not have digital, so I am thinking of changing to a sat set
> up with HDTV. I do have components with component video out 480p I
> guess, so I will be watching alot of movies on the new unit until I
> get HDTV, but I will still have to watch 4:3 at times.

Be careful with satellite if you watch a lot of SDTV. The signals are very
highly compressed and the artifacts are obvious. In fact, I'm switching to
cable because I can't stand it any more!

> Finally, the bulb for the samsung, how much are they to replace, even
> with 8000 hour life, if one were to watch 4-5 hours of TV each evening
> that's about 2 years worth so the cost of the new bulb will be an
> issue I'm sure.

5 hrs/day * 365 days/year = 1825 hrs/yr

For one thing, 5 hrs/day EVERY DAY is a lot of TV so I think this is a
pretty conservative estimate anyway. But even at that rate it will take
over 4 years before you need a new bulb. I imagine as more and more of
these DLP sets get out there the bulbs will probably get cheaper in a couple
years anyway. Right now I believe they're at about $250.

> Finally reliability? any comments.

I'll let someone else comment here as I'm waiting to buy a new HLP model.

> Now for the big questions, what other unit should I be looking at for
> my needs, I read that LCD is going away and Plasma with dead pixles
> and high cost is a gamble.. so, what other options are there for a
> bright room?

A plasma has limited lifespan as well. However, when that goes out you
can't simply replace the bulb. Your only option is to buy another. I
believe strides have been made to lengthen their lifespan, but I think I'd
rather just buy a bulb for a DLP.

> I plan to move to a new home with a theather set up and then I plan to
> put a front projetion DLP with a drop down screen but for now, I"m
> stuck with looking for the 46" - 50" tabletop models.

You'll have one hell of a good tv for the bedroom once you do that!

> Please email me any comments, and suggetions to my email
> davidk@eaglecanyon.com I"d appreciate it...
>
> (by the way, it looks like Samsung is being blown out by AVS in NY at
> about $2000 for the 507w does anyone know these guys and are they
> reputable? Are the units USA certified and warrantied?, the web says
> they are. Any comments on this vendor is appreciated as well.

Did you see this on AVS forum? I've seen that they have "Power Buys" from
time to time on various models where a bunch of members get together and
make a bulk purchase. Those guys really know their stuff so I'd imagine
it's fine to make the purchase.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 20, 2004 6:43:00 PM

Dave wrote:
> I am looking to buy a new projection TV, probably a 50" and have been
> reading as much as I can about the Samsung DLP and like about anything
> else you research there is pro's and cons, so I thought I'd see if I
> can get an up to date report from folks that have or sell the units.
>
> I also have read that Samsung is about to deliver some new products
> with upgrades, but do I want to be the ginny pig to find out all the
> issues with a new model?

I personally would wait for some of the HLP models to hit the stores.
The product line will get more complicated with 3 tiers of TI DLP chips:
HD3, HD2+, and xHD3. The xHD3 models (1080 x 1920 although the chip will
actually be 1080 x 960) may not arrive in volume before the end of the
year and will be the priciest models. Although it has not been updated
for several months, see http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html for
info on DLP RPTVs.

[snip]
> I currently watch mostly 4:3 tv as the cable company "charter" in my
> area does not have digital, so I am thinking of changing to a sat set
> up with HDTV. I do have components with component video out 480p I
> guess, so I will be watching alot of movies on the new unit until I
> get HDTV, but I will still have to watch 4:3 at times.

From what I have seen and read, the DLP sets don't provide as good a
quality picture for SD material as more expensive plasmas. I saw a SDTV
picture on the Gateway DLP model and it was terrible. But the Gateway
DLP is not highly regarded. So you should check out the picture yourself
for a SD feed at the store - if you can - before buying.

> Finally, the bulb for the samsung, how much are they to replace, even
> with 8000 hour life, if one were to watch 4-5 hours of TV each evening
> that's about 2 years worth so the cost of the new bulb will be an
> issue I'm sure.

The 8000 hour spec is supposedly to 1/2 brightness, so you may find
yourself replacing the bulb before the 8000 hr mark if the darkening
screen bothers you. The bulbs run for around $250 so they are not cheap.
But even if you replace it at 5000 hours, at 5 hrs/day, that is close to
3 years of use. If the Samsung DLP RPTVs become widely sold enough,
there will likely be low cost vendors for the bulbs by then.

> Finally reliability? any comments.
>
> Now for the big questions, what other unit should I be looking at for
> my needs, I read that LCD is going away and Plasma with dead pixles
> and high cost is a gamble.. so, what other options are there for a
> bright room?

Where did you read LCD is going away? The LCD makers are building very
expensive new plants to go after the bigger screen TV market and will be
battling it out big time with the plasma TVs for the flat screen market.
I may buy a plasma TV sometime later this year if there are some more
price cuts in the offing.

Alan Figgatt

> I plan to move to a new home with a theather set up and then I plan to
> put a front projetion DLP with a drop down screen but for now, I"m
> stuck with looking for the 46" - 50" tabletop models.
>
> Please email me any comments, and suggetions to my email
> davidk@eaglecanyon.com I"d appreciate it...
>
> (by the way, it looks like Samsung is being blown out by AVS in NY at
> about $2000 for the 507w does anyone know these guys and are they
> reputable? Are the units USA certified and warrantied?, the web says
> they are. Any comments on this vendor is appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.
a b Ô Samsung
May 21, 2004 5:59:22 AM

Dave wrote:
> I am looking to buy a new projection TV, probably a 50" and have been
> reading as much as I can about the Samsung DLP and like about anything
> else you research there is pro's and cons, so I thought I'd see if I
> can get an up to date report from folks that have or sell the units.
>
> I also have read that Samsung is about to deliver some new products
> with upgrades, but do I want to be the ginny pig to find out all the
> issues with a new model?

definitely wait for the 2004s. While the hln series are
the best currently available, they have a serious problem
with dimmly lit scenes. The 2004s are suppose to fix this.

Jeff B
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 22, 2004 3:22:34 AM

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking to buy a new projection TV, probably a 50" and have been
> > reading as much as I can about the Samsung DLP and like about anything
> > else you research there is pro's and cons, so I thought I'd see if I
> > can get an up to date report from folks that have or sell the units.
> >
> > I also have read that Samsung is about to deliver some new products
> > with upgrades, but do I want to be the ginny pig to find out all the
> > issues with a new model?
>
> definitely wait for the 2004s. While the hln series are
> the best currently available, they have a serious problem
> with dimmly lit scenes. The 2004s are suppose to fix this.

Eh? Well, I've looked at the 617HLN from Samsung and it definitely DOES NOT
have a problem with dimly lit scenes. In fact, it handles dimly lit screens
the absolute best of any TV I've seen to date!

-->Neil
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 22, 2004 8:45:09 PM

> Eh? Well, I've looked at the 617HLN from Samsung and it definitely DOES NOT
> have a problem with dimly lit scenes. In fact, it handles dimly lit screens
> the absolute best of any TV I've seen to date!
>
> -->Neil

You obviously don't own one of these sets.
I've had my 617HLN in my house for 3 months. In non-dim scenes,
the pic is brilliant, best I've seen.
The infamous "clay faces"
problem is most noticeable in facial scenes.When the side
of the face which is in the shadow comes out of the shadow, bands
of gray/green/red are apparent instead of a gradual flesh
tone transistion.

In larger scenes that are dimmly lit, the HLN cannot resolve
color so everything tends to look gray. This is an extremely
well docmented problem.

Jeff B
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 23, 2004 11:33:32 AM

Just put a quarter into the piggy bank on top of the TV every day and
in four years you will have enough for a new bulb.
!