Which motherboard to buy?

MonkeyFondue

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Planning on building a new computer in the near future but I'm not sure what to get. I think i want one of these two mobos but I'm not sure which is better. Not only that I'm not sure if socket 939 is the way to go or not. Money is not a big problem since I'm saving up for money for a new comp.

Here are the boards I'm kind of thinking about:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

Here is what I intend to use the computer for:
Video editing and gaming primarily. Sometimes I dabble in 3d graphics but nothing serious. Here are the components that I'm definitely getting

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOCE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card - Retail
OCZ S.O.E 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2SOE6672GK - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

My intention is to build a system that will last me 3-4 years. My current system will only be good for another year and that has lasted me close to 4 years.

If someone could tell me if the 939 is a good socket type to get and which motherboard if 939 is good, is better of the two to over clock and what heat sync/liquid cooling system to get for that socket type that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Also, not sure what PSU I should get. I've used antec in the past but I've heard that they are not as reliable as the used to be. Not sure if this is true or not. Thanks again.

Bezza

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
socket 939 is certainly something to look at. alot of the AMD's are cheap now and you can get a descent processor and fan for £75 (around $90).

http://misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=100385&CatId=47

That is a nice processor i am currently running it on this pc and it causes no problems with ingame graphics and response (with 512 meg of ram).

PSU i have an Antec 580 and it works fine, seems reliable enough :)

Your hardrives are OEM, suggesting they are not the origional manufacturer products, but i dont think it should make a difference.

Foxconn do a few good mobo's for cheaper than youre average top of the range but they dont have much scope for overclocking.

You also need to know the type of case you have before choosing the mobo.

~Bez

echn111

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
If money is not an issue why not go with the Intel Core 2 Duo CPu's? Even if money was an issue, these have the best price/performance and are based on a newer architecture than the AMD's.

Unless you really hate Intel and are buying AMD for purely psycological reasons, it makes more sense to go with Intel's Core 2 Duo and forget 939. They are currently the best for price/performance as well as energy consumption and AMD has yet to effectively reply.

As for motherboards, any of the new nforce 680i's are quite nice. If money is an issue, you can go with a 650i.

MonkeyFondue

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I was thinking about
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
or the
BFG 680i

This is originally what I had intended to get, which is why i have DDR2 memory listed. I assumed that memory type was the standard. Apparently not. :eek:

I know both companies are pretty good and I know that BFG provides excellent tech support, as I've had to deal with them in the past, so I was more inclined towards them. But I'm only familiar with these companies in terms of their graphics cards not with their motherboards.

Is the ASUS version of the 680i any good?