How do I link two wireless networks connected to the same mo

dupies

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Ok; I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so please be gentle.

My wife connects to the Internet via a linksys router. I connect to the Internet via a netgear router. Both routers connect to the Internet via the same NEC modem.

Why is this? Well, her brand new Dell's wireless chip (sans the flaming battery) does not communicate well with the netgear router; buying the cheap linksys was a simple solution to a big frustration.

Now, these two router sit next to each other within spitting distance of the modem.

My question: what is the easiest way to make the two wireless routers communicate with each other so that we can share files (she needs to back her hard disk up on my graphics workstation)??

I need specifics to get this one right!

Please, any help will be appreciated!

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Leave one router connected to the modem exactly as it is. I'll call this router 1. Then, take the other router (router 2) and connect an ethernet cable from one of its' LAN ports in to one of the LAN ports on router 1. So now you should have something like this:

Internet => Modem => Router1 => Router2

Before you do this, you'll need to access the web management program on Router 2. See the manual for instructions on how to do this. You'll need to change the IP address to make sure it isn't the same as router 1 or anything else on your LAN. (If you don't know, you could always pick something obscure like 172.16.84.55). You will also need to disable the DHCP server on router 2, so you don't have two different DHCP servers running.