Truekeeper

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Hi people !

I want advice in a trouble i have now.

I have a customer who has a old machine and his cpu is dead. Now i have 2 spare cpus: A P3 1.0Ghz Coopermine and a celeron tualatin 1.4Ghz.

The guy want to reanimate his old pal and don't want a new machine, so
the question here is what cpu is the best.
Both of them have 256 of cache.

Is the p3 more faster than the celeron one ?

The celeron have the same circuits quality, features, etc. ?

So which cpu is the best performer ?

Thanks in advance.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hi people !

I have a customer who has a old machine and his cpu is dead. Now i have 2 spare cpus: A P3 1.0Ghz Coopermine and a celeron tualatin 1.4Ghz.

Thanks in advance.
If even the P3 like the Celeron has a 100MHz FSB, the only distinguishing feature should be the crippled associativity of the celeron cache but the 400MHz+ will make up for both of them. The celeron should perform better and tualatins also run cooler.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Hi people !

Thanks in advance.
If even the P3 like the Celeron has a 100MHz FSB, the only distinguishing feature should be the crippled associativity of the celeron cache but the 400MHz+ will make up for both of them. The celeron should perform better and tualatins also run cooler.

He's right. The Celeron is the better choice. A 1.4Ghz PIII with 512KB of cache can be had for around $50 on ebay, but that's not really worth the price.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I can vouch for the Celeron, as I use a 1.4GHz Tualatin in my computer, and it works just fine for my needs.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The Celeron might not work, most Socket 370 boards don't support Tualatin cores.

I'd try it, and if it doesn't work, put in the other one.
You can get a Tualatin adaptor off eBay for a few bucks though, and they work good. The good thing about the Celeron is it won't matter if he only has PC100 RAM.

Truekeeper

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
What a great info you guys just provided me.

I'll go celeron then.

Thanks very much, all of you. 8)

Another thing:
The guy also want to purchase a usb 2.0 tv receiver for portable reasons but his mobo only has usb 1, so if i put a usb 2.0 pci card do you think the
usb 2.0 tv will perform ok, i mean i heard usb 2.0 tv receivers are cpu hungry.

What you think ?

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
If the machine meets the system requirements, it will probably be fine. If its a bit laggy, try shutting down Windows Explorer in the task manager or something else. :p
-cm

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Hell yeah they were. I remember that they could overclock like crazy and STILL suck. They were real treasures, those Celerons.
-cm
Huh? They were pretty much the same as the P3s once you OCed them... not like todays Celerons. Oh, here are some benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/02/17/benchmark_marathon/page23.html

Only up to the Celeron 1.3 on there though. EDIT: I was of course talking about the Tualatin Celerons... the Coppermine Celerons couldn't OC past 1.1GHz... more info: http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/pentium3tualatincel.htm

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
They had 256KB cache just like the older P3s.. if you could OC them on a 133MHz bus they were just as fast at the same clock speed. Some of the later tualatin P3s did have 512K L2... but we are comparing them to a p3 coppermine core, right?

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
The adapters didn't work in some boards... same with the slocket adapters as well... but it wasn't just in Intels boards. I have a Supermicro board that won't take them and an old IBM system that doesn't either. I don't really think Intel did that on purpose... its just that some older boards were made before the Tualatin cores existed.

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Have a link to that information? I think your just jumping to conclusions... Powerleap was still selling them up until a little while ago, with a processor. They had a compatibility list too, with no information on anything like that... EDIT: They did have a different Voltage... maybe some BIOSs detected the processor and assumed you needed a new VRM?