Windows XP Pro SP2 Error --

Hi,

I have installed XP SP2 on several machines in our office. Two of the
machines are members of a Windows 2000 domain while the others are members
of a Win NT 4 domain. On the two machines on the Windows 2000 domain I am
now seeing the follow error message in the event log::

> The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
> processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of
> d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact
> Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Since this error message has started to appear the computers are having
various problems including the Windows Installer not functioning, the
Windows Update not functioning. On one of the machines our payroll software
stopped functioning and I had to remove the service pack to make the payroll
software work again.

I have spoken with Microsoft tech support via chat and telephone many times
and they have no suggested that the issue related to the Windows 2000 Server
and Group Policy. Does anyone have any ideas on what Group Policy I need to
change to eliminate this error message and its associated symptoms?

Thanks,

Rich

Pls take a look at this.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839880

BR,
Denis

"Richard Morey" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed XP SP2 on several machines in our office. Two of the
> machines are members of a Windows 2000 domain while the others are members
> of a Win NT 4 domain. On the two machines on the Windows 2000 domain I am
> now seeing the follow error message in the event log::
>
> > The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
> > processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of
> > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact
> > Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
>
> Since this error message has started to appear the computers are having
> various problems including the Windows Installer not functioning, the
> Windows Update not functioning. On one of the machines our payroll software
> stopped functioning and I had to remove the service pack to make the payroll
> software work again.
>
> I have spoken with Microsoft tech support via chat and telephone many times
> and they have no suggested that the issue related to the Windows 2000 Server
> and Group Policy. Does anyone have any ideas on what Group Policy I need to
> change to eliminate this error message and its associated symptoms?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Hi --

Thanks, I will.

Rich

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <DenisWongHongKong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:FB461436-7C78-463F-8670-59EB55A3F9FE@microsoft.com...
> Pls take a look at this.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839880
>
> BR,
> Denis
>
> "Richard Morey" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed XP SP2 on several machines in our office. Two of the
> > machines are members of a Windows 2000 domain while the others are
members
> > of a Win NT 4 domain. On the two machines on the Windows 2000 domain I
am
> > now seeing the follow error message in the event log::
> >
> > > The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
> > > processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of
> > > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please
contact
> > > Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
> >
> > Since this error message has started to appear the computers are having
> > various problems including the Windows Installer not functioning, the
> > Windows Update not functioning. On one of the machines our payroll
software
> > stopped functioning and I had to remove the service pack to make the
payroll
> > software work again.
> >
> > I have spoken with Microsoft tech support via chat and telephone many
times
> > and they have no suggested that the issue related to the Windows 2000
Server
> > and Group Policy. Does anyone have any ideas on what Group Policy I need
> > change to eliminate this error message and its associated symptoms?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rich

Hi --

I looked at this KB article and added a missing registry entry but the
problem still exsists.. Any more thoughts?

I also tried the "netsh firewall reset", and get the following error: