Question about processor and compter's.

JP42

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
This is the first time I've posted a question here, but have been reading many of the threads here and you all sound very knowledgeable.

Just recently my husband bought me a new computer...haven't received it yet. The video card is integrated and I'm aware that it is a bad card for game play. The only game I play is Sims 2. I'm currently playing on an Emachine W4685, it has a; Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon 9600. This computer is several years old, but has served me well up until the last expansion to my game...I'm also tired of sharing a computer with 2 boys who play WoW. :)

The new computer specs are;

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 4200+* for increased multitasking performance; improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**; Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology to minimize heat and noise
2GB PC4200 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL media

Processor Brand AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2
Processor Speed 2.2GHz
System Bus 2000MHz
Cache Memory 512KB + 512KB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 2GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 4GB
Type of Memory (RAM) PC4200 DDR2
Hard Drive Type SATA II (7200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size 250GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6100

What I'd like to know is, will the this new computer run my game faster and better than on my current one? My husband also purchased the ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI Express video card.

The reason I'm wondering is because the Emachine I'm currently has a processor speed of 2.60ghz and the newer one has AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Speed 2.2GHz.

Thanks for putting up with my inept computer knowledge and question,

JP

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Taking out all the superflous descriptions of your PC specs, the overall is a good machine and with the added video card will play games just fine.
The 2.2GHz of an Athlon 64 are roughlt comparable to 3.4 GHz of a Pentium4; it simply does more job in fewer cycles and newer Intel processors (Core2s) perform better with even lower frequencies

JP42

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Taking out all the superflous descriptions of your PC specs, the overall is a good machine and with the added video card will play games just fine.

I had no idea what or how much of a discription I needed to add in...shows how much I don't know.

Thanks for the answer, it's much appreciated.

[/quote]

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I had no idea what or how much of a discription I needed to add in...shows how much I don't know.
I started learning when someone else ordered my office PC (that I use mainly for graphics) and for ~$2000 got me something that was already to be trashed; "never to happen again" I said :D

JP42

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
ehm, no offence, but why not just ask your husband, as judging on his choices he knows what he is doing.

No offence taken. :D My husband doesn't know much more than I do...his words not mine. The computer he bought was recomended to him by the Circut City salesman he didn't know if the guy was just tossing him a line. He said I needed to check around and see what I could learn...and I did learn something.

Thanks for the help,

JP

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Don't worry your AMD Athlon X2 4200+ is still about as good as a E6300 And the ATI X1600Pro still be able to run mostly all games at a respectable Frame rate and fluidity. Only Brand new *Super High-End games may not work so well. Otherwise the description i have in my mind of your PC is quite adequate, the Sales man didn't skimp or cheat you out of anything. If the PC came at a reasonable price and you after playing and working on it for a few weeks are satisfied with it them it's as good as getting a Quad Core with all the SLI and Phys x added. As long as your satisfied and the price is just right then it's all good.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
Most of the Games listed on the VGA Charts.
Which are F.E.A.R, Half Life 2, Prey, Oblivion, Doom 3, Quake Arena. And a whole lot of other ones that have recently released in the last 2-3 years that require High End Multi-threaded or High Clocked Pentium 4(3.0-3.7Ghz) Or AMD 3200+(or better) graphics at Geforce 6-7 Series and above or ATI 1xxx (Or better) to be able to play within acceptable conditions at medium and High Graphic Settings.

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
"a good portion of the 'salesmen' are more or less idiots."
While I agree with you, Jack, alot of these salespeople are kids whose job environment sucks - management and consumers also share some blame for their attitudes. With that said, alot of plumbers, electricians and an even larger percentage (in my experience) of management are idiots. Just stickin' up for the kids - they have to put up with customers in a hurry, in a bad mood, or just half-informed. It would've warped me alot more than working on the farm or in the bush ever could have. Thank god I'm a country boy.