Group policy

I could not find a group for windows 2003 server. My question is applying
policies to a specific machine no matter who logs into it. The computer
configureation is applying but the user config is not. I'm not specifying
any user because I want it to apply to all users who log into it. How do I
go about doing this? I've tried multiple things without any success. What am
I missing? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lZGFp?= <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> said

> I could not find a group for windows 2003 server. My question is
> applying policies to a specific machine no matter who logs into it. The
> computer configureation is applying but the user config is not. I'm not
> specifying any user because I want it to apply to all users who log into
> it. How do I go about doing this? I've tried multiple things without
> any success. What am I missing? Thanks.

You need loopback processing on the GPO.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;231287

--
Andy.

Does this work for xp or is there a way to do it in xp?

"Andrew Mitchell" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lZGFp?= <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> said
>
> > I could not find a group for windows 2003 server. My question is
> > applying policies to a specific machine no matter who logs into it. The
> > computer configureation is applying but the user config is not. I'm not
> > specifying any user because I want it to apply to all users who log into
> > it. How do I go about doing this? I've tried multiple things without
> > any success. What am I missing? Thanks.
> >

> You need loopback processing on the GPO.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;231287
>
> --
> Andy.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lZGFp?= <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> said

> Does this work for xp or is there a way to do it in xp?

It will work on Windows 2000 and later operating systems (servers and
workstations)

--
Andy.

so far, still not working...do I have to install a loopback adapter on my
2003 server?

"Andrew Mitchell" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lZGFp?= <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> said
>
> > Does this work for xp or is there a way to do it in xp?
> >

> It will work on Windows 2000 and later operating systems (servers and
> workstations)
>
> --
> Andy.

hey,

Which computer policies have you configured which you feel are
not aplying to the Computers?

Give us some more on how your computrs and users are placed in
the AD.

1. Loopback would be needed only in cases of eg Terminal Services
2. You dont need a loopback adapter. Thats comepletely unrelated
3. Where are you aplying the policy at. eg At Domain Level - OU
Level
4. Use a tool named gpresult.exe to check out what policies are
applying and whats happening in the background. You can redirect
the output to a text file like so

gpresult /v > gpresult.txt

Te /v switch is for verbose
Oen the gpresult.txt and check what all policies are being
applied.

Or for good testing do this: Move one user and one computer
account to a New Test OU. Apply a Policy on that OU - make the
necessary changed - both user and machine - and then check the
gpresult.

"Joedai" <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> so far, still not working...do I have to install a loopback
> adapter on my
> 2003 server?
>
> "Andrew Mitchell" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lZGFp?= <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> said
>>
>> > Does this work for xp or is there a way to do it in xp?
>> >

>> It will work on Windows 2000 and later operating systems
>> (servers and
>> workstations)
>>
>> --
>> Andy.

I need to take one point back. I should have read the original
post completely

1. You would need Loopback Enabled as correctly pointed out by
Andrew

"Joedai" <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> so far, still not working...do I have to install a loopback
> adapter on my
> 2003 server?
>
> "Andrew Mitchell" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lZGFp?= <Joedai@discussions.microsoft.com> said
>>
>> > Does this work for xp or is there a way to do it in xp?
>> >

>> It will work on Windows 2000 and later operating systems
>> (servers and
>> workstations)
>>
>> --
>> Andy.

Thanks guys, andrews idea was correct but I changed the wrong key. Once I
fixed that, it worked like a charm. Thanks again..