Which Motherboard Is The Right One For Me?

Help, I’m planning on upgrading my computer, however I’m in a dilemma and am unsure of which motherboard and which speed of Ram to purchase. Yes, I understand that the higher the number the faster the speed, however I don’t want there to be any bus conflicts.

I need to purchase the last 3 major parts for upgrading my computer; I have an WD SATA2 hard drive and a brand new Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI express video card.

I’m leaning toward purchasing an Intel Core2 Duo E6600, DDR2-Ram (533/667/800 which ever would be best for board bus speed) and a P965 chip set type Motherboard.

My system is going to be used for low-end gaming and homework. I’m not planning on using SLI, or overclocking. However if I the motherboard I buy make’s overclocking almost dummy proof, I may consider playing with it.

So I’m asking what you guys think is my best option, the P965, however I not ruling out the 680i, or the 975x. I am concerned with cost and don’t want to go overboard since I don’t need a ton of motherboard for what I need, (examples don’t need WiFi, parallel port, FireWire ports, eSATA, etc)

What I really want is ease and no conflicts.

I did read the
"Shootout at the Core 2 Corral: Seven P965 Motherboards Compared"
A lot of great info, however I want to know what will be practical and some experience from people telling me what really works well together...

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advanced.
2 answers Last reply
More about which motherboard
  1. Wow great advice here ... maybe I'll just buy some junk and complain here instead...
  2. sometimes some threads slip through the cracks. when i was building mine, my thread slipped through them too.

anyway, i would probably avoid the 680i if i had to do it again. not that its a bad board, just that it has way more then ill ever need in a board. if you dont plan on sli, dont even consider the 680i. you said you were looking for midrange performance, stick with a p965 board. asus makes good ones, and i believe gigabyte makes good ones too. not that the p965 is a simple board, its just a better choice for a non-enthusiast obsessed person.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer Overclocking