What the!? Why no good overclocking micro atx for core 2?

shooterm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I'm a little perplexed as to how or why there really are no good overclocking mobo's for the core 2.

Is this ever going to change? Will there be any nforce 6 series micro atx?

I bought a beautiful htpc for micro atx and have not found a good overclocker :|

Tell me if you know of one or one coming!

Thanks.

Shooter.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Hrmm.. if i had to guess (and i havnt researched it) I would venture to say its probably because there arent many good PSU's for Micro ATX Systems.

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Maybe do a search for modded BIOS files for those boards. I've had a few cheapo boards that with a modded BIOS were excellent overclockers. I agree with you, though, if microATX boards have the same chipsets as a full size ATX board, why not give users access to the controls?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Crashman is right.But it's not just the fault of gamers either.The main board manufacturers are also to blame because they only offered all the good stuff on full size boards.Hence the reason micro atx was so ignored.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hrmm.. if i had to guess (and i havnt researched it) I would venture to say its probably because there arent many good PSU's for Micro ATX Systems.

Uh, d00d, Micro ATX mini towers used to use mostly PS/2 (full sized) power supplies, yet the boards still didn't get to enthusiast level.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
micro atx - small tiny pc

small and tiny=

-most good coolers will not fit
-lie
-heat buildup problems
-exhageration
-lack of installable fans
-exhageration
-limit to power supply size (physically)
-half-truth

Micro ATX has the same upper half as full ATX, so there's just as much room for coolers. Most Micro-ATX mini-towers have room for an 80mm or 92mm exhaust fan, many also have a similarly-sized intake fan. Many ATX cases have been available using full-sized power supplies.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
micro atx - small tiny pc

small and tiny=

-most good coolers will not fit
-lie
-heat buildup problems
-exhageration
-lack of installable fans
-exhageration
-limit to power supply size (physically)
-half-truth

Micro ATX has the same upper half as full ATX, so there's just as much room for coolers. Most Micro-ATX mini-towers have room for an 80mm or 92mm exhaust fan, many also have a similarly-sized intake fan. Many ATX cases have been available using full-sized power supplies.

if ur using micro-atx, your most likely building a sff htpc ina tiny case.

most high end coolers wont fit, there are some available, but the fit will be tight

if your going to overclock in such a cramped case, unless you jhave a turbine, heat venting will be anm issue

you cant exactly stick 2+ 12cm fans in a htpc

if you get a high wattage psu, most are slightly longer by 2-3 cm than standard sized psus.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
BAH!

nearly all psus above 600W dont meet the form factor specs

and anyway, using a INwin doesn't prove anything. Therer psus r overrated and unstable so a 700wer is really a 500W

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BAH!

nearly all psus above 600W dont meet the form factor specs

and anyway, using a INwin doesn't prove anything. Therer psus r overrated and unstable so a 700wer is really a 500W

Put down the crack pipe and learn to read. I offered to throw a "unspecified" 700W power supply in my Inwin Case. I didn't say anything abot Inwin power supplies.

My "unspecified" 700W power supplies are the OCZ GameXStream and Fortron Source Epsilon.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Stick it to him! Gently...

A lot of the more popular Micro-ATX cases like the Ultra MicroFly or the Aspire X-Qpack or the Antec Aria don't have room for a lot of hard drives, usually no more than two. They also usually only have one exhaust fan, which doesn't do much for the airflow that high-end components need.

An example of someone taking the initiative would be this guy here. He decided to mod an Aspire X-Qpack to fit a standard ATX sized DFI LanParty board. He was my hero for a little while. Project XeQtion is teh l337n3ss.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Midsized MicroATX systems are the logical progression for gamers who need some portability. Unfortunately, most gamers lack logic and work off emotion alone, picking huge "power systems" and loading them with at most 2 cards and 2 hard drives, or picking an undersized cube.

My Solution has lots of ventilation, holds a 120mm top exhaust fan and would use a 120mm power supply exhaust fan through the top as well, holds a full-sized power supply and Micro ATX board, and is the same size as an old-fashioned "carry on" suitcase (not those new oversized things that people try so hard to stuff into those little bins).

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
My only complaint is the one I had before - the darn BIOS. I'm still trying to find what program to use to write my own or modify a full size ATX overclocking BIOS to work with alot more micro ATX mobos. I actually have a microATX board in my Antec 4U server rack case as it overclocks better than 2 other ATX boards (ASUS A8N-E and a Gigabyte 939Ultra) that I've tried lately. It has one of the huge Zalman HSF, so no cooling problems.

shooterm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Well I have the Antec Fusion
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738
Review
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/antec_fusion_review/

So people who think of small power supplies and cooling problems need to eat pie.

I was looking at an Asus mobo, but when you get fsb between 310 and 320 the NIC stops working :x and given it is going to be a wired htpc that just does not cut it.

I want to overclock a 6300 to around 2.6 ghz or a bit higher to help with future HD decoding. At this time the graphics cards are not doing enough of the work. Currently I have a passive x800 gto, and will probably get an 8300gt when they are available for pure video or the next gen low end ATI card with avivo. I game casually.

Will keep my eyes peeled for something that can scream!

Shooter