I finally got HOU and I'm going to start hacking my way throught he
single-player campaign soon... the RDD class interests me, but I also
want to emphasize the spell-casting aspect of that class. In the
original campain I played a straight sorceror and it was a lot of fun.
In SOU I tried out the Arcane Archer class, maxing fighter and AA
levels, and I enjoyed that as well. Now I'd like to go back to playing
a powerful caster, but I'd also like to be able to try out the RDD
class. I understand that the spellccasting progression for RDD is
"broken," though. Is there any way to get RDD to work decently with
lots of sorceror levels? I'm willing to sacrifice some spellcasting
ability, focus on spells without saves, for the increased combat
proficiency of RDD, maybe take a level in Paladin for the improved
saving throws and proficiencies. I do want to get to play around with
a lot of spells though. I created a new character tonight and got the
auto level up to level 15, took him to Level 5 sorcerer, then maxed
out RDD levels, and while it was cool to watch my stats jump up he's
still stuck with measly level 5 sorc spell selection. Any advice on
making this build work is appreciated.

To my mind the red dragon disciple isn't a good choice for the sorcerer.
The rdd only improves melee capabilities but not enough to keep up
with the loss of high-lvl spells. Bards mixed with rdd works better.
You won't be a powerfull spellcaster neither way. If you want to play a
spellcaster with one of the new prestige class, you might want to take
wizard/palemaster (gets new spell lvls in contrast do
sorcerer/palemaster or sorcerer/red dragon disciple)...

I hope I could help
arne steffens

Darrell Wu wrote:
> I finally got HOU and I'm going to start hacking my way throught he
> single-player campaign soon... the RDD class interests me, but I also
> want to emphasize the spell-casting aspect of that class. In the
> original campain I played a straight sorceror and it was a lot of fun.
> In SOU I tried out the Arcane Archer class, maxing fighter and AA
> levels, and I enjoyed that as well. Now I'd like to go back to playing
> a powerful caster, but I'd also like to be able to try out the RDD
> class. I understand that the spellccasting progression for RDD is
> "broken," though. Is there any way to get RDD to work decently with
> lots of sorceror levels? I'm willing to sacrifice some spellcasting
> ability, focus on spells without saves, for the increased combat
> proficiency of RDD, maybe take a level in Paladin for the improved
> saving throws and proficiencies. I do want to get to play around with
> a lot of spells though. I created a new character tonight and got the
> auto level up to level 15, took him to Level 5 sorcerer, then maxed
> out RDD levels, and while it was cool to watch my stats jump up he's
> still stuck with measly level 5 sorc spell selection. Any advice on
> making this build work is appreciated.

To my mind the red dragon disciple isn't a good choice for the sorcerer.
The rdd only improves melee capabilities but not enough to keep up
with the loss of high-lvl spells. Bards mixed with rdd works better.
You won't be a powerfull spellcaster neither way. If you want to play a
spellcaster with one of the new prestige class, you might want to take
wizard/palemaster (gets new spell lvls in contrast to