Prevent deletion of Desktop Icons

I have tried to no avail to find a policy to prevent our users from deleting
a desktop icon. I have even tried enabling the following policy: User
Configuration-Administrative Templates-Desktop-Don't save settings at exit,
in the hope that if they did delete an icon it would come back on reboot - no
luck.

Does anyone know of a method for doing this? Any information is greatly
appreciated!!
6 answers Last reply
More about prevent deletion desktop icons

    1. One option to give these users Mandatory profiles. So no matter
    what changes they make to the profile everything gets reset to
    defaults and next logon. Additionally for their data you could provide
    these guys with Home Folders. So if this is possible you make a) no
    changes to desktop saved like deleting Icons b)make backing up and
    restoring user data a much lesser headache. Im going to think up of
    more solutions to this as well.

    Good luck till then

    --
    Gautam Anand
    e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    "JR Trent" <JR Trent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I have tried to no avail to find a policy to prevent our users from
    deleting
    | a desktop icon. I have even tried enabling the following policy:
    User
    | Configuration-Administrative Templates-Desktop-Don't save settings
    at exit,
    | in the hope that if they did delete an icon it would come back on
    reboot - no
    | luck.
    |
    | Does anyone know of a method for doing this? Any information is
    greatly
    | appreciated!!

    I see what you are saying as far as Mandatory profiles being a good solution,
    but is is possible to create a Mandatory profile at the local level? I've
    only had experience with them in roaming profiles. Also, for the most part,
    our users desktops are widely varied and I'm not sure how I would support
    that under the Mandatory profile structure. As far as their data, our users
    have a networked drive for storage of this, so that's not a problem (either
    from a backup or a restore point of view).

    Thanks!!

    "Gautam Anand" wrote:

    > 1. One option to give these users Mandatory profiles. So no matter
    > what changes they make to the profile everything gets reset to
    > defaults and next logon. Additionally for their data you could provide
    > these guys with Home Folders. So if this is possible you make a) no
    > changes to desktop saved like deleting Icons b)make backing up and
    > restoring user data a much lesser headache. Im going to think up of
    > more solutions to this as well.
    >
    > Good luck till then
    >
    > --
    > Gautam Anand
    > e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    > ---------------------------------
    > "JR Trent" <JR Trent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I have tried to no avail to find a policy to prevent our users from
    > deleting
    > | a desktop icon. I have even tried enabling the following policy:
    > User
    > | Configuration-Administrative Templates-Desktop-Don't save settings
    > at exit,
    > | in the hope that if they did delete an icon it would come back on
    > reboot - no
    > | luck.
    > |
    > | Does anyone know of a method for doing this? Any information is
    > greatly
    > | appreciated!!

    You could also (probably--I've never tested this) change the NTFS
    permissions on the desktop folder within a problematic user's profile to
    Read Only... provided you're using NTFS on the drive their profile folders
    are located

    Ken

    "Gautam Anand" <gautam@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > 1. One option to give these users Mandatory profiles. So no matter
    > what changes they make to the profile everything gets reset to
    > defaults and next logon. Additionally for their data you could provide
    > these guys with Home Folders. So if this is possible you make a) no
    > changes to desktop saved like deleting Icons b)make backing up and
    > restoring user data a much lesser headache. Im going to think up of
    > more solutions to this as well.
    >
    > Good luck till then
    >
    > --
    > Gautam Anand
    > e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    > ---------------------------------
    > "JR Trent" <JR Trent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I have tried to no avail to find a policy to prevent our users from
    > deleting
    > | a desktop icon. I have even tried enabling the following policy:
    > User
    > | Configuration-Administrative Templates-Desktop-Don't save settings
    > at exit,
    > | in the hope that if they did delete an icon it would come back on
    > reboot - no
    > | luck.
    > |
    > | Does anyone know of a method for doing this? Any information is
    > greatly
    > | appreciated!!

    NTFS perms could get pretty messy to play around with. Specially on
    multiple boxes.

    What exactly do you have in mind when you don't want the users to
    change the desktop icons.

    Do they need those icons to be there?
    Why don't you want them to del the desktop icons? If you just want the
    icons to be there, then you could write a lil batch file which you can
    use as a logon script. This batch file copies certain shortcuts from a
    central location and dump them on the users desktop when he logs in.
    hardly an entp solution but it should be effective. You could need to
    test it out.
    You could do something like a

    rem this file copies desktop shortcuts to the users desktop.
    copy \\servername\sharename\*.lnk %userprofile%\desktop /y

    Also, if these icons are reqd to be used by the user, then place them
    in the startmenu of the All Users Container. So that way,they always
    show up and the users don't have the access to delete these things.

    But seriously, what are you trying to achieve with these steps.

    --
    Gautam Anand
    e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    "Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | You could also (probably--I've never tested this) change the NTFS
    | permissions on the desktop folder within a problematic user's
    profile to
    | Read Only... provided you're using NTFS on the drive their profile
    folders
    | are located
    |
    | Ken
    |

    | "Gautam Anand" <gautam@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    | > 1. One option to give these users Mandatory profiles. So no matter
    | > what changes they make to the profile everything gets reset to
    | > defaults and next logon. Additionally for their data you could
    provide
    | > these guys with Home Folders. So if this is possible you make a)
    no
    | > changes to desktop saved like deleting Icons b)make backing up and
    | > restoring user data a much lesser headache. Im going to think up
    of
    | > more solutions to this as well.
    | >
    | > Good luck till then
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gautam Anand
    | > e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    | > ---------------------------------
    | > "JR Trent" <JR Trent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > |I have tried to no avail to find a policy to prevent our users
    from
    | > deleting
    | > | a desktop icon. I have even tried enabling the following
    policy:
    | > User
    | > | Configuration-Administrative Templates-Desktop-Don't save
    settings
    | > at exit,
    | > | in the hope that if they did delete an icon it would come back
    on
    | > reboot - no
    | > | luck.
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone know of a method for doing this? Any information is
    | > greatly
    | > | appreciated!!

    The basic goal is that once their desktop is set up we don't want them to be
    able to delete their icons. While this is not a big deal if it hits the
    recycle bin, we've had instances where that has not occured and we then have
    to figure out where it was pointing (if it's a non-standard program). We
    have a small IT staff and are trying to "tie down" some of the things that
    are not a big deal, technically, but are a pain in the neck when we have more
    important things that need to be attended to.

    "Gautam Anand" wrote:

    > NTFS perms could get pretty messy to play around with. Specially on
    > multiple boxes.
    >
    > What exactly do you have in mind when you don't want the users to
    > change the desktop icons.
    >
    > Do they need those icons to be there?
    > Why don't you want them to del the desktop icons? If you just want the
    > icons to be there, then you could write a lil batch file which you can
    > use as a logon script. This batch file copies certain shortcuts from a
    > central location and dump them on the users desktop when he logs in.
    > hardly an entp solution but it should be effective. You could need to
    > test it out.
    > You could do something like a

    > rem this file copies desktop shortcuts to the users desktop.
    > copy \\servername\sharename\*.lnk %userprofile%\desktop /y
    >
    > Also, if these icons are reqd to be used by the user, then place them
    > in the startmenu of the All Users Container. So that way,they always
    > show up and the users don't have the access to delete these things.
    >
    > But seriously, what are you trying to achieve with these steps.
    >

    > --
    > Gautam Anand
    > e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    > ---------------------------------
    > "Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | You could also (probably--I've never tested this) change the NTFS
    > | permissions on the desktop folder within a problematic user's
    > profile to
    > | Read Only... provided you're using NTFS on the drive their profile
    > folders
    > | are located
    > |
    > | Ken
    > |

    > | "Gautam Anand" <gautam@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > | > 1. One option to give these users Mandatory profiles. So no matter
    > | > what changes they make to the profile everything gets reset to
    > | > defaults and next logon. Additionally for their data you could
    > provide
    > | > these guys with Home Folders. So if this is possible you make a)
    > no
    > | > changes to desktop saved like deleting Icons b)make backing up and
    > | > restoring user data a much lesser headache. Im going to think up
    > of
    > | > more solutions to this as well.
    > | >
    > | > Good luck till then
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Gautam Anand
    > | > e: gautam at hotpop dot com
    > | > ---------------------------------
    > | > "JR Trent" <JR Trent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > from
    > | > deleting
    > policy:
    > | > User
    > settings
    > | > at exit,
    > on
    > | > reboot - no
    > | > |
    > | > greatly

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    You can rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man this will reset the desktop
    after they log off. Is this what you had in mind?

Policy Desktops Desktop Icons Windows