Having problems with Local Policy settings

After setting up a W2K3 member server in a domain, I decide to take a look at
the Local Security Policy. I drilled down to 'Security Options' (Local
Policies --> Security Options'. A majority of the settings were configured
with values.

I then looked at the C:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy folder and under
Machine, there was no Registry.pol file and no Gpttempl.inf file. When
running the RSoP, all of the security settings under 'Security Options' were
set to 'not Defined'.

I am confused! If the Local Security Policy has these setitngs set,but the
RSoP shows everything set to 'Not Defined', what is going on? I checked this
on seveal different servers and it is always the same.

I would like to set several settings under 'Security Options', but everytime
I do, there is never a GptTempl.inf file under the GroupPolicy folder and
when I run the RSoP, my settings never appear.

Can someone please explain what is going on. My settings do not conflict
with domain policies. I would like to define a Local security policy which I
can installon all member servers. I thought that local policies are
maintained in c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy and why nothing ever changes in
this folder (and subfolders) when I change some settings is baffling me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly your domain level policy overrides local policy.

BR,
Denis

"William P" wrote:

> After setting up a W2K3 member server in a domain, I decide to take a look at
> the Local Security Policy. I drilled down to 'Security Options' (Local
> Policies --> Security Options'. A majority of the settings were configured
> with values.
>
> I then looked at the C:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy folder and under
> Machine, there was no Registry.pol file and no Gpttempl.inf file. When
> running the RSoP, all of the security settings under 'Security Options' were
> set to 'not Defined'.
>
> I am confused! If the Local Security Policy has these setitngs set,but the
> RSoP shows everything set to 'Not Defined', what is going on? I checked this
> on seveal different servers and it is always the same.
>
> I would like to set several settings under 'Security Options', but everytime
> I do, there is never a GptTempl.inf file under the GroupPolicy folder and
> when I run the RSoP, my settings never appear.
>
> Can someone please explain what is going on. My settings do not conflict
> with domain policies. I would like to define a Local security policy which I
> can installon all member servers. I thought that local policies are
> maintained in c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy and why nothing ever changes in
> this folder (and subfolders) when I change some settings is baffling me.

Denis,
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't help me.

The Local policy, when opened, has over 80% of the Security Options set, but
when running the RSoP, it shows all of them as being 'Not defined'.

When I try to import a policy, the settings don't stick. The folder
c:\winnt\system32\GroupPolicy does not change. The security permissions on
the folder are also correct.