Sign in with
Your question

How not to make a mistake on choosing parts on gaming pc.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • SLI
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2007 11:31:22 PM

After 2 weeks of research and tips from this forum, here are the basics. I am no expert. I just thought this would help those starting to research.
1. CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2x 1.86GHz/2MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) or higher. This process can be over-clocked easily. Intel has AMD beat on overclocking. It is the cheapest of the core 2 processors.
2. Motherboard
[Quad-Core Support] Asus brand. Asus is the best. You can upgrade to a quad cpu later. 650i SLI Chipset is a good choice. You may want to SLI later but SLI as a start is not very efficent.
3. Power Supply
At least a 500 watt and SLI ready.
4. Video Card
Geforce 8 series. Why? Because it is Directx 10 compatible. A single SLI card.
5. Memory
I say at least 2 gigs. You need that for Windows Vista. You need Windows Vista to play ALAN WAKE.
6. Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
To overclock.

How much? I have configured it at IBUYPOWER.COM for under $1700.00.

More about : make mistake choosing parts gaming

January 21, 2007 11:40:11 PM

Here is the system for Total: USD $1,698.00

Case ( Standard ATX Mid-Tower Case w/350W Power Supply [no side window] Black )
Power Supply ( ** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply )
Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2x 1.86GHz/2MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
Motherboard ( [Quad-Core Support] Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( [==New !!!==] NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
CD/DVD Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 16X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Beige )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Fax Modem ( None )
Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Black )
Monitor ( None )
Keyboard ( PS/2 104 Key Windows 98 Keyboard Beige )
Mouse ( Logitech Optical Internet Mouse Black )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Operation System ( MS Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition w/ Free Upgrade Coupon for Windows Vista™ Home Premium )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
January 22, 2007 12:08:53 AM

Quote:
After 2 weeks of research and tips from this forum, here are the basics. I am no expert. I just thought this would help those starting to research.
1. CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2x 1.86GHz/2MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) or higher. This process can be over-clocked easily. Intel has AMD beat on overclocking. It is the cheapest of the core 2 processors.
2. Motherboard
[Quad-Core Support] Asus brand. Asus is the best. You can upgrade to a quad cpu later. 650i SLI Chipset is a good choice. You may want to SLI later but SLI as a start is not very efficent.
3. Power Supply
4. Video Card
5. Memory
I say at least 2 gigs. You need that for Windows Vista. You need Windows Vista to play ALAN WAKE.
To overclock.

Good for you and your research. But I think that this is a terrible guide to anyone who is about to buy a new pc.

1. I think C2D is great, I agree on this.
2. Why Asus? I have personally had bad experience with Asus. And why 650i? I don't get this at all.
3. a lot of 500W if not most 500W powersupplies are crap. Telling a noob to get a 500W PSU without mentioning 12V rails is setting them up for problems.
4. 8000 series Geforce cards are really expensive and the fact that they are DX10 ready has no bearing seeing as how dx10 games won't be surfacing for upwards of 6 months. Not to mention R600 is about to come out.
5. 2 gigs is a good number i guess.
6. Liquid cooling is almost never necessary and should only be considered by extreme enthusiasts. Not to mention it is expensive. Get a tuniq tower for $50 or an Arctic freezer 7 pro for $30.

Sorry to bash on your recommendations, I know you had good intentions. But this guide will lead noobs to spend more than they need to and buy the wrong parts (ie just any old 500W PSU or just any 2 gigs of ram).
Related resources
January 22, 2007 12:36:45 AM

Quote:
3. a lot of 500W if not most 500W powersupplies are crap. Telling a noob to get a 500W PSU without mentioning 12V rails is setting them up for problems.

Haha, take his word for it, i was that noob who bought a 500W without checking the 12v rail.
January 22, 2007 1:32:51 AM

Quote:

Haha, take his word for it, i was that noob who bought a 500W without checking the 12v rail.

Sorry if this is a little off topic. I'm a noob here :roll:
I was wondering how we'd know if a power supply is adequate. I had the impression before that as long as the wattage is enough, it should be good to go.

But after reading the forums quite a bit, I've learnt that thats not quite it. So my question is, how do we know if the power supply is adequate?

Thanks for your help!
January 22, 2007 1:38:20 AM

Your so called guide is really of no use because it is too specific and doesn't really provide any reasons why you are choosing the parts you listed.

Not all Asus mobos are good.

As someone else mentioned, a generic recommendation for a 500w PSU without regards to a brandname and the amount of amps available on the 12v rails is useless. Not all system will need a 500w PSU.

Geforce 8 GPU. Great if you have the cash.

Liquid Cooling. Yeah, okay if you want to do extreme overclocking and you have the money.
January 22, 2007 1:40:42 AM

Quote:

Sorry if this is a little off topic. I'm a noob here :roll:
I was wondering how we'd know if a power supply is adequate. I had the impression before that as long as the wattage is enough, it should be good to go.

But after reading the forums quite a bit, I've learnt that thats not quite it. So my question is, how do we know if the power supply is adequate?

Thanks for your help!
you need to make sure that there are enough amps on the 12V rails. those amps create the power for the big stuff in your system. but basically, you can still go based on watts, just make sure you have at least around 650 for a full, top system.
January 22, 2007 1:52:52 AM

Thanks. So say for roughly these specs, what should I need?

C2D E6300
Nvidia 7600GT
1GB RAM
WD320KS

Thanks again for your help
January 22, 2007 3:46:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks. So say for roughly these specs, what should I need?

C2D E6300
Nvidia 7600GT
1GB RAM
WD320KS

Thanks again for your help

You could use the following link to an on-line PSU calculator that estimates the total amount of power a system may consume, but I don't use it. I prefer to find actual power measurements on the web when I calculate my numbers. It also

The most important power rail is the 12v rail which is from where most of the power hungry PC parts will draw power from. Based on the information you provided I estimate the following power consumption on the 12v rails:

E6300..............................................................44w CPU Power Consumption
7600GT............................................................36w GPU Power Consumption
1 320GB HDD....................................................16w
1 DVD Burner....................................................16w
2 120mm Case Fans...........................................12w
1 90mm CPU Fan.................................................5w

Total Est. Power Consumption on 12v rails...........129w
Total Est. Amp Consumption on 12v rails............10.75a

All other components will draw power from the 3.3v or 5v rails.

A 300w PSU like the Fortron Group (FSP) ATX300 will be more than enough to power your proposed system. But you should also consider future upgrades like a faster CPU, and/or video cards, more hard drives.

I would recommend a 400w or 450w PSU for future upgrades especially if you intend on adding a very power hungry GPU like the 8800GTX which uses an estimate of 146w of power.

You are better off posting your questions in the Power Supply section of this forum to get more than just one opinion and recommendations.

For you, I would recommend the following good, but not too expensive PSUs:

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN 450w PSU - $53 + shipping

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 ATX12V 430W PSU - $50 after rebate + shipping
January 22, 2007 9:14:45 AM

Quote:
1. CPU
2. Motherboard
3. Power Supply
4. Video Card
5. Memory
To overclock.

Good for you and your research. But I think that this is a terrible guide to anyone who is about to buy a new pc.

1. I think C2D is great, I agree on this.
2. Why Asus? I have personally had bad experience with Asus. And why 650i? I don't get this at all.
4. 8000 series Geforce cards are really expensive and the fact that they are DX10 ready has no bearing seeing as how dx10 games won't be surfacing for upwards of 6 months. Not to mention R600 is about to come out.
5. 2 gigs is a good number i guess.
6. Liquid cooling is almost never necessary and should only be considered by extreme enthusiasts. Not to mention it is expensive. Get a tuniq tower for $50 or an Arctic freezer 7 pro for $30.

Sorry to bash on your recommendations, I know you had good intentions. But this guide will lead noobs to spend more than they need to and buy the wrong parts (ie just any old 500W PSU or just any 2 gigs of ram).

1. A local tech from http://www.shaolincomputers.com/machines.html advised me he goes with Asus because the are the best. I had mentioned I liked the MSI card I currenty have and would consider their MB's. He did not like the idea.
2. On the 650i, I had posted on forumz another mb and several posters said go up to the 650i since it was only $23 more.
3. Thanks for the 12v rails comments. No one had mentioned that before. Configurators should automatically adjust. There are a great deal of price differences. 500w to 1000w can be $250 increase.
4. Directx 10 is coming out. I would hate to buy a card that would not support it. The R600 may not come out till 3q. It will be expensive. I have a 7600 agp now. Every new card I want to go up a series.
5. $50 for liquid cooling is not bad. Tom's DIY pc had it.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2007 10:01:28 AM

The way I calculate the amps necessary on the 12v rails is to add in the CPU, video card, one hard drive and one optical drive. That's the power you will be consuming at one time. I also add in 2-4 amps for safety. You do not want to be running at full capacity.
Most other components such as memory, etc. run on the 3.3v and 5v rails.
January 22, 2007 10:07:35 AM

Maybe this is a stupid question but can I run a direct x 10 game with direct x 9.0c and direct x 9 hardware? Will they be compatible? I'd like to upgrade my system later, and I don't have money, nor the mobo. for the 8800 gtx or gts.
January 22, 2007 10:34:00 AM

May be you can, but without support for SM4 of course....Please correct me if i'm wrong
January 22, 2007 10:37:55 AM

8800 isnt the only Nvidia 8 series card. Sometime mid march the're gonna release the 8300 and 8600.
also to Peet, not too sure about other games, but Chrysis supports Dx 9. also pretty sure that most games released will support Dx9 for the time being. think about most games now, most still support Dx8. i.e. Source engine. even Oblivion supports Dx8. (abet with Oldblivion).
January 22, 2007 10:42:02 AM

Thanks for replying so fast. Then I will stick with direct x 9 hardware because direct x 10 is just too expensive for me. Thanks for the advices.
Peet
January 22, 2007 12:07:44 PM

Quote:
Power Supply - NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply
Processor Cooling - CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
Motherboard - Asus P5N-E SLI
Memory - 2GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS
OS - MS Windows XP MCE

I'd rather not go with a NZXT power supply. While they make nice cases it's better to stick with someone like Seasonic or Antec for a midrage PSU. Seasonic's S12 Energy Plus series or Antec's Neo HE series are the best choices here to me.

With this kind of price tag you should be looking at a 680i chipset, EVGA has a nice motherboard based on it. The other board I'd consider is DFI's RD600 based mobo. The EVGA will run you $250, the DFI $270.

Processor cooling has me stumped, a cheapo watercooling system isn't worth the money. You're better off with a Tuniq Tower 120/Noctua NH-12/Scythe Ninja revB or something along those lines. All of those run $50-$55.

I don't like how they use sorry value RAM, it may be 2GB of RAM but if it's cheap sorry kit then you would have been better off just getting 1GB of good, high-performance stuff.

Video card is a personal preference kind of thing, I'd agree to the 8800 GTS for this price range but you have to keep in mind that ATI's upcoming R600 based part has yet to be seen anywhere (it's performance is an unknown) and Vista isn't looking to be so great of an OS. You'd likely be better off with a Radeon X1950PRO or similar performance Nvidia card.

A gaming rig needs XP Pro (XP Home if you're on a tight budget) unless you'll use the media features of MCE. There's no point in having junk on your HDD unless you'll actually use it.
January 22, 2007 1:23:57 PM

Quote:
I don't like how they use sorry value RAM, it may be 2GB of RAM but if it's cheap sorry kit then you would have been better off just getting 1GB of good, high-performance stuff.

Unless you're overclocking, DDR2-533 value RAM with 4-4-4-12, is a good enough match for a Core2Duo platform. Intel's default system clock is 266MHz, which is the speed of DDR2-533 (266x2=533).

In any case, 2 GB of RAM is much better than 1 GB.
The benefits of performance RAM comes from their ablility to overclock.
January 22, 2007 4:16:16 PM

With his water cooling kit you will be overclocking. And with this budget ($1700) the least I'd expect is DDR2-800 RAM with 4-4-4-12 timings.
!