DDR3; When, Worth it?

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
DDR3. The next step. When are we going to see it? Later this year? Who's on the bandwagon so far? Will it be worth the price / wait, or is DDR2 still the way to go for now?

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
am3 is going to be amd's first cpu that supports ddr3, and that doesn't come out until 2008 earliest, same with whatever intel has up their sleeve. So no, don't wait that long unless you're willing to, because even with bandwidths of what are right now being talked about of 1600mhz and above, the timings won't be worth it to try it out until it's proven to be better anyway
Bah, just a fantasy question. I think I'll upgrade everything when DDR3 is about at where DDR2 is now. I'm fine with what I have, just a dreamer. :p

LsRaven

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Has ddr 2 reached its end so soon...I have not even got all the Info about it absorbed yet..and finding general rules for narrowing down what is compatible with what..blah blah blah ... I am just NOW building my first system with ddr2 and did not even get a VidCard with ddr3..i chose the version of my card with ddr2...makes me wonder if that was a mistake with people asking about 3 for the system memory...

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
DDR3. The next step. When are we going to see it? Later this year? Who's on the bandwagon so far? Will it be worth the price / wait, or is DDR2 still the way to go for now?
Intel is releasing the Bearlake chipsets with support for DDR3 in Q3 2007 (Link), while AMD plans to adopt in 2008. Now, if you know anything about the initial launch of DDR2, then you know that its a good idea to wait and see how this new memory performs before you put any money into it.