7900GS 512Mb SLI Upgrade?

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hello all, I have been considering my options and just wanted to get your opinions before I make a decision.

I have sold the video cards I currently have installed in my machine, 2x Unika 7900GS 512Mb OC @ 590/780, and are trying to decide which ones to replace them with.

Taking into consideration that I have absolutely no intention of getting Vista for at least 18 Months and DX10 will not be released for XP, I don't think I need DX10 hardware. I am running 2 PSU's with total output of 800W & 79A so power is not a problem. The replacement cards can't be any longer than the 7900GS's because they will not fit.

At the moment the cards of choice are "Gainward Bliss 7950GT 512Mb Golden Sample" as they OC very well, the heatsink sends some of the hot air out the back of the case and they are the only ones I have been able to find that have 512Mb and 1.2ns chips. The performance of these cards is very similar, and can exceed, the performance of 7900GTO and can pretty much match 7900GTX.

Please comment, I only have a couple of days to work out which ones I am going to get and I will need to order them.

Thanks heaps, Dave.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
the 7900GTX cards would be your best option. Though i would have kept the 7900 GS's. But that's just me. I'm still hoping to win a second 7900GS from Nvidia so that i can run SLI. Oh well.

I was quite happy with the 7900GS's but when someone offers enough money, how can you say no? :wink:

I do like the 7900GTX but they are very expensive, the Gainward does offer nearly the same performance potential but it is a bit cheaper and I should be able to afford 2 of them. SLI 8800GTS would be nice but they are too dear and they won't fit in my case, they are too long.

Good luck with winning a GS, that would be cool :D