Sign in with
Your question

Best PCI card to hold me over till i get my new computer?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2007 1:13:36 AM

I know it is a waste of money, but i got gift cards i can't spend on my new computer, and my friend works at best buy and said he can order any vid card for me, i have no agp slot so i'm looking for the best pci card.

i have like 150 in gift cards, so i'll be good on money i don't think pci will get more than that.

The best i saw was a x1300 and a 6200. if those are the 2 best which would you reccomend.

More about : pci card hold till computer

January 22, 2007 1:40:36 AM

i'd go for the x1300, its newer tech than the 6200. whats wrong with what you have now anyway?
January 22, 2007 1:43:27 AM

Quote:
i'd go for the x1300, its newer tech than the 6200. whats wrong with what you have now anyway?

its onboard, 64 mb, not supported by any video game in the past 2 years, hasn't hit recomended in 4.
Related resources
January 22, 2007 1:59:38 AM

can you cash in those gift cards for cash?
If you're limited to onboard 64mb, chances are you got one crappy system.
You would probably be better off looking on ebay for a used system that has something a better than what you got.
Older technology goes freakishly cheap. I doubt you'd get a decent PCI card that'll hold you over as good as your onboard, and if you do, you'll have to pay a nifty premium.

if you can't trade for cash on the gift cards, I'd still say hold out on the PCI card, and find something that best buy actually sells at a decent price, like an advertised special on a large hard drive or such. They usually have something going on holidays and weekends.
January 22, 2007 2:17:03 AM

Quote:
can you cash in those gift cards for cash?
If you're limited to onboard 64mb, chances are you got one crappy system.
You would probably be better off looking on ebay for a used system that has something a better than what you got.
Older technology goes freakishly cheap. I doubt you'd get a decent PCI card that'll hold you over as good as your onboard, and if you do, you'll have to pay a nifty premium.

if you can't trade for cash on the gift cards, I'd still say hold out on the PCI card, and find something that best buy actually sells at a decent price, like an advertised special on a large hard drive or such. They usually have something going on holidays and weekends.

my system isn't too bad, p4 2.8, 1280mb ram, and then onboard, and a small hard drive.
January 22, 2007 10:45:46 AM

you have a 2.8 that doesn't have AGP? and you're sure it doesn't have PCI-e?

what model #, brand, ect is your mobo? That doesn't make sense...
the last mobo I had that didn't sport a AGP slot was a gateway Celeron 400 w/ 8mb onboard video :( 
and before that a 233 K6
2.8 without a video expansion is completely ridiculous. lemme know, I'd like to look it up
January 22, 2007 1:56:03 PM

You're right in that its rediculous but in the world of vendors such as Dell its surely not uncommon.

Good friend of mine got impatient for a PC 2 yrs ago, went and charged a Dell on his credit card when I was going to build him a PC, yeah retarded.

So the sales person asked him did he game. He said no he doesn't really game. Now he has watched me play some current games and even year old stuff and decided he wanted to try a few of my games out. I went to his house, popped the side off his Dell, with a 3200+ in it btw, and it has 3 PCI slots, THAT IS IT!! 3 freakin PCI slots? WTF. There were solder points for an AGP slot and there are also solder points for a 3rd and 4th Ram DIMM but only 2 usable slots for Ram.

Its sad but true. I beg all my friends/family to never make me see such an atrosity again by never buying from a vendor again! Man, it was an ugly sight to behold.

On the other hand the OP could have a slot and not realize it, we can cross our fingers and hope for him eh? hehe
January 22, 2007 1:57:39 PM

Oh I forgot, to the OP:

If you end up having to go PCI go with the x1300 as well. You don't have much choice in that realm and thats about as good as you're going to get. It will sadden me if you truly have no other GPU slots though as that 2.8 P4 is still viable for a while longer :/ 
January 22, 2007 2:09:38 PM

Oh boy. Good thing Dell and such don't have their own proprietary "DAGP" slots. (Dell Accelerated Graphics Port).
January 22, 2007 2:33:58 PM

I'm with SuperK86, use the money to buy something that can go into a newer, upgraded system. Kind of like: buy the fancy wheels, then drive the car in between. Buy yourself a nice PCI-X16 video card, and drive a better MB underneath.

Can you allocate more RAM to the on-board video through BIOS? Usually, they let you pick the amount of resources dedicated to the video. If so, use some of your gift certs and buy another stick of RAM and jack the allocation up to hold you over until you can put a better system together.
January 22, 2007 3:11:41 PM

While that sounds like a good idea on the surface, if the OP is entertaining the idea of waiting and doing a rebuild I'm not sure I'd waste $ on Ram he might not be able to use in the new build.

The Ram could help somewhat in some cases but in gaming that IGP will still choke the hell out of his system regardless of Ram.

To the OP again: If you don't have any GPU slot other than regular vanilla PCI it probably would be a good idea to use that $150 gift certificate to start on the road to an upgrade IF you can afford to sink more $ into it beyond the $150.

Even a "budget" PC such as:

e6300 $184
Gigabyte DS3 board $105
Possibly new Ram if yours isn't DDR2 say $240 for decent OC 2gb
x1950Pro $190
SILVERSTONE SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W Assuming you need a PSU upgrade $87.50 at Newegg.

Thats roughly $806.50 without shipping for parts. Can reuse everything else you have most likely. Take off the $150 you have in BB bucks and thats about $656.50 out of pocket give or take a couple dollars due to having to buy some things from BB and not online.

This is mainly to give you an idea what you're looking at if you considered building a replacement rig on a "tight" budget but wanted most bang for buck in gaming. A system similar to what I suggest would blow your mind in gaming compared to what you're using now.

You must decide how much you can put towards and upgrade or rebuild. If the $150 is truly all you can do for the forseeable future then maybe it is worthwhile to get the PCI card. It will give you better than you have performance-wise right now but don't expect it to make many current games enjoyable.
January 22, 2007 4:54:09 PM

Its a gateway, i'm not really sure the brand///model number or any of that stuff

i'm at school right, but in about 20 mins i can post a picture of my mobo, it looks like they were going to run a agp, but they just didn't put in the slot so to speak.

Yeah i'm building a new system that is like 1300 altogether. I have a thing in the general homebuilt section if you want to look at that specs.

But you guys agree that the 1300 is the way to go?
January 22, 2007 4:56:39 PM

oh and the using the integrated to get more memory through bios, the maximum is 64mb.
January 22, 2007 5:35:41 PM

I wouldn't waste any money on it if it doesn't have an AGP or PCI-E slot. Buy a PS2 with the gift cards if you want to play some better looking video games and save your money for a newer system.
January 22, 2007 6:01:52 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't waste any money on it if it doesn't have an AGP or PCI-E slot. Buy a PS2 with the gift cards if you want to play some better looking video games and save your money for a newer system.

I hate to say it.. but I agree. Put that $150 into new components. Re-use your CPU and RAM, and buy a compatible motherboard with a PCIe16 slot. You MAY be able to re-use the case, but I'd definitely upgrade the power supply. Hard drive & CD-drive will be re-usable. Hopefully you have DDR2 ram and a LGA775 CPU - then your new motherboard can easily be used with Core2Duo when you're ready for a CPU upgrade. You've probably got a 478 though..

Personally, either don't spend any money now and live with what you've got, or build a new computer the right way from scratch..
January 23, 2007 12:11:15 PM

Quote:
Its a gateway, i'm not really sure the brand///model number or any of that stuff

i'm at school right, but in about 20 mins i can post a picture of my mobo, it looks like they were going to run a agp, but they just didn't put in the slot so to speak.

Yeah i'm building a new system that is like 1300 altogether. I have a thing in the general homebuilt section if you want to look at that specs.

Well I don't agree. I suggest you hold playing games for a while and use those gift cards to buy component(s) for your new system
January 23, 2007 1:21:04 PM

Ok having seen the mobo I'd have to say, yuck. Looks just like my friends mobo, no upgradability really.

I'd say IF the 2.8 you have in there is socket 775 then go with the new build and you can even use that CPU for a little bit if you want.

Option 2 is to just do your new build, keep this PC as a spare web-browsing, extra storage, whatever etc. PC.

Since you were looking at a new build anyway, thats the way to go for sure. I was thinking you just wanted to upgrade because you couldn't afford to build new. Now if you can build new certainly don't use your money on that old PC. Use all your extra cash to get the most out of your new build.
January 23, 2007 2:59:35 PM

could you find out what socket your P4 is that way we could advise you on buying a cheap(ish) Mobo / Vid card combo that way you could ditch your current motherboard and keep everything else
January 23, 2007 6:33:58 PM

my ram isn't ddr2 its 333mhz.

and the reason i didn't want to do the whole mobo pcie combination is if my computer does pretty well, i probably wont' upgrade, and i want too. And best buy doesn't really sell mobo's.
January 23, 2007 7:08:24 PM

Quote:
my ram isn't ddr2 its 333mhz.

and the reason i didn't want to do the whole mobo pcie combination is if my computer does pretty well, i probably wont' upgrade, and i want too. And best buy doesn't really sell mobo's.

Ok but best buy sells parts that you could use in your new system.

As an alternative, go to a local used computer parts store and dig out a 10-20$ S478 mobo with AGP, and buy an AGP vid card for it.
January 23, 2007 7:56:15 PM

BEST PCI card: X1300 go for it
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2007 11:01:44 PM

Quote:
I know it is a waste of money, but i got gift cards i can't spend on my new computer, and my friend works at best buy and said he can order any vid card for me, i have no agp slot so i'm looking for the best pci card.

i have like 150 in gift cards, so i'll be good on money i don't think pci will get more than that.

The best i saw was a x1300 and a 6200. if those are the 2 best which would you reccomend.

LOL S3 Virge DX still in stock for only $42!!

But really, just save your cash for when you can get a worthwhile system.
January 24, 2007 12:07:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah I read your post in "General Homebuilt" where you seem to be looking for ideas to save money...
I don't understand why you are still trying to upgrade your old obsolete system when you could use your "Best Buy coupons" to buy good components for your new system. It doesn't make sense, can you explain?
January 24, 2007 12:27:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah I read your post in "General Homebuilt" where you seem to be looking for ideas to save money...
I don't understand why you are still trying to upgrade your old obsolete system when you could use your "Best Buy coupons" to buy good components for your new system. It doesn't make sense, can you explain?

Why does why i want to do this, mean more than which is more powerful?

I want to do this because i have 600 saved up, and thats not even half way, i go to school and work part time making only 150 a week, and thats not much computer money to save, When i posted that build I was told and told to wait to see what vista and the new dx10 cards offer.
So instead of taking that money i got from graduating h.s. that i got from my grandma and use it for my comp, i'm waiting to see what unvails and use that 800 on my books, and a couple classes at my community college.

So i need something to hold me over on my wow cuz with integrated i'm getting like 20 fps, at extremely low settings.

Yeah i know thats all out of order and stuff but i just went to work and school and my mind is kind of tired.
January 24, 2007 11:50:36 AM

OK then, get a used motherboard for a P4, it should cost you like 30 dollars or so
make sure it has PCI-e or AGP.
use gift cards on a video card you can see yourself using in the future.
January 24, 2007 12:52:31 PM

Quote:

Why does why i want to do this, mean more than which is more powerful?

I want to do this because i have 600 saved up, and thats not even half way, i go to school and work part time making only 150 a week, and thats not much computer money to save, When i posted that build I was told and told to wait to see what vista and the new dx10 cards offer.
So instead of taking that money i got from graduating h.s. that i got from my grandma and use it for my comp, i'm waiting to see what unvails and use that 800 on my books, and a couple classes at my community college.

So i need something to hold me over on my wow cuz with integrated i'm getting like 20 fps, at extremely low settings.

Yeah i know thats all out of order and stuff but i just went to work and school and my mind is kind of tired.

All right, I understand your current situation... Been there in the past.

But why did you make an elaborate build in Sep'06, have many people contribute and make suggestions and then not buy it. Then you repeated the same thing in Jan'07 where you listed another elaborate build, asked people to comment and now it seems you won't be going forward.
It's widely known that "Keep waiting a bit because something better is coming out soon" doesn't work, as there is always something better coming out soon.

Sounds like you need something to keep you going for more than a month or two. Taking that into acount, you should look at options that won't end up in a dead end.

I'd buy the cheapest S775 motherboard with PCI-e, then I'd buy the cheapest used S775 CPU I could find. Using the Best buy coupons, I'd then buy a good vid card. That Vid card, the motherboard can then be used in your new system which you might go ahead with in a few months.

You already have half (600$) so you have enough money to start making your new system using components from your current system. In six months, S775 and PCI-e will still be around, so investing in S775 and PCIe components makes sense.
January 25, 2007 12:44:58 AM

The build in 06, was for my friend, i just wanted suggestions on it.

And thanks for all the contributes everyone.
!