netfront cannot access localhost

April 18, 2005 3:06:54 AM

I had a helluva time a few weeks ago trying to get Pocket IE to connect
to localhost, finally found something at MSDN that worked (a
provisioning file _setup.xml converted to a .cpf file with
makecab.exe). But my client does not like the rendering done by Pocket
IE and we are trying to use Netfront with the app (more or less a
simple HTTP server installed on the iPAQ). I've tried mucking with the
Connection settings to no end, and Netfront keeps blithely informing me
"Browser warning: cannot read page". I realize this is a Netfront
problem and not Microsoft's, but maybe some of you guys can think of a
possible cause for this... thanks in advance -- jc
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 2:19:23 PM

jcomeau_ictx wrote:
[...]
> simple HTTP server installed on the iPAQ). I've tried mucking with the
> Connection settings to no end, and Netfront keeps blithely informing
> me "Browser warning: cannot read page". I realize this is a Netfront
> problem and not Microsoft's, but maybe some of you guys can think of a
> possible cause for this... thanks in advance -- jc

I doubt that it's Netfront's problem, after all it's just another ip
address. On my ipaq, Netfront will connect to localhost quite happily IF
there is an ActiveSync connection open. That suggests the OS is the problem,
perhaps it stops some tcp/ip services when it deems them unnecessary?
Can't suggest a fix, but I don't think Netfront is to blame.

Tony
!