Recommended Motherboard/Method for Cooling a X6800

core2drew

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Currently, I'm running an E6700 on an Intel Bad Axe board, cooled by a Zalman CNPS 9500.

Recently, I've gotten my hands on a X6800 ES along with a Bad Axe 2 board. I was using 4x512MB Corsair XMS Pro DDR2-667 memory, but I picked up a package of 2x1GB Corsair XMS Pro DDR2-800 memory this weekend at Fry's.

I've never had a processor this overclockable, so I'm in some uncharted territory.

I'd like to keep the Bad Axe 2 board simply because it's stable and I can count on it to stay strong for a long time, but I'd maybe like to get my hands on a 680i board. From what I've read it's very overclockable, and I currently use two 7900GT's, so using the Intel board makes me use hacked drivers to enable SLi.

Any one have any recommendations or opinions on which board and/or what cooling solution?

I don't need any type of watercooling, but I think it'd be cool to have. I've checked out this Swiftech kit from Xoxide ... http://xoxide.com/swiftech-h2o-apex-ultra-extreme.html.

Thanks y'all.

The Zalmain 9500 will keep your C2D cooled verry nicley.

As far as the boards go.
Looks like they bouth have the 975 chipset, but the bad axe 2 is supposed to overclock better.
It also supports crossfire physics, which is kinda kool.

core2drew

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and picked up the Swiftech Apex Ultra h2o cooling kit, along with a Northbridge waterblock and a couple VGA waterblocks.

With the DDR2-800, XBX2, X6800, and the watercooling kit, I'd like to reach a good 4GHz+ overclock.

I'm using an Antec P180 case, so hopefully everything inside will be kept real chilly.

I've found this link: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1083057. It's gonna be my reference for getting the watercooling kit installed well.

core2drew

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Eh, it's no biggie.

Reaching 4GHz+ isn't because I need it - simply for bragging rights and to make my e-penis grow as large as possible.

I reached 3.4GHz w/ an E6700 on a Bad Axe board w/ a Zalman CNPS 9500, and i was just fine running that.

The Antec P180 case is quiet to start off with, but the watercooling will keep things cool and hopefully make the case ninja silent.

Anyone have any recommended tips or tricks for installing the H2O cooling system?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Oh I see, Good luck then!

I myself am looking for a 3.6Ghz stable Xeon 3060 overclock, which is essentially a cooler running E6600 (because it is server grade).