Group Policy Update problem...String tool long

I updated my Group Policy Objects With the New Windows
Firewall Settings so that I can edit firewall settings on
Windows XP SP2. I followed the instructions listed in the
Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows
XP with Service Pack 2 document found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-
499f73a637d1&displaylang=en

I updated one of our group policy objects from the XP SP2
machine. It seemed to update the policy settings and I
received no errors, but when I attempt to view or edit
that policy object on the Windows 2000 Servers, 2003
Servers or any other machines other than XP machines, I
receive between 50-100 or so Administrative template
popups that state that the following entry in the strings
section is too long and has been truncated. I have to
click OK to all of these popups before I can view or edit
any portion of the policy object. What can I do to
prevent or resolve these errors. Any help that anyone can
provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

You need a hotfix - see Q842933 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842933.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Ern" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I updated my Group Policy Objects With the New Windows
> Firewall Settings so that I can edit firewall settings on
> Windows XP SP2. I followed the instructions listed in the
> Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows
> XP with Service Pack 2 document found here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> FamilyID=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-
> 499f73a637d1&displaylang=en
>
> I updated one of our group policy objects from the XP SP2
> machine. It seemed to update the policy settings and I
> received no errors, but when I attempt to view or edit
> that policy object on the Windows 2000 Servers, 2003
> Servers or any other machines other than XP machines, I
> receive between 50-100 or so Administrative template
> popups that state that the following entry in the strings
> section is too long and has been truncated. I have to
> click OK to all of these popups before I can view or edit
> any portion of the policy object. What can I do to
> prevent or resolve these errors. Any help that anyone can
> provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS