Sign in with
Your question

Need Help About Installing 2 OSs on 1 PC

Last response: in Windows 7
July 4, 2011 8:02:56 PM

Hello, i have 3 HDD's
1st HDD - SATA Intel SSD 40 GB for my os (Windows 7 32bit)
2nd HDD - SATA WD Caviar Blue 1TB for storage
3rd HDD - SATA WD Caviar Blue 1TB for storage
i would like to ask if there is an option for me to make 2 partitions on the 3rd HDD 650 GB for storage and the other 350 GB for Windows 7 64 bit... :) 
evantlay i want to have 2 operating systems on my pc
windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit...
is this possible?
btw my system specs are :
CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.0 GHz
Mother Board : Asus Crosshair IV Formula / AM3 Socket
Video Card : Zotac Geforce GTX 560 Ti
Ram : 1 X 4GB Corsair Vengence and 1 X 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw Edition
PSU : Corsair AX750W
thanks in advance,
Daniel.

More about : installing oss

July 5, 2011 3:44:35 AM

Follow the instructions here: http://techpp.com/2010/01/19/how-to-partition-a-hdd-har...

After you have your drive partitioned to what you think is fit (I recommend leaving at minimum 20 GB for one OS alone.)
Then, you can insert your Windows discs, reboot your computer, and when it asks you where you want to install, pick the partition that you want to install Windows on... do all the steps, and hopefully when you restart your computer it will ask you to pick which Operating System you want to boot with.

Note, for me personally, I don't boot multiple versions of Windows, but I do have Linux Ubuntu installed. And when I restart my computer, it asks me which Operating system I want to boot with, either Windows 7 or Ubuntu, it does not specify it's specific version, neither it's bit value. Hopefully this is just something that I have since I don't have another version of Windows installed...
m
l
July 5, 2011 8:23:58 AM

hpfreak said:
Follow the instructions here: http://techpp.com/2010/01/19/how-to-partition-a-hdd-har...

After you have your drive partitioned to what you think is fit (I recommend leaving at minimum 20 GB for one OS alone.)
Then, you can insert your Windows discs, reboot your computer, and when it asks you where you want to install, pick the partition that you want to install Windows on... do all the steps, and hopefully when you restart your computer it will ask you to pick which Operating System you want to boot with.

Note, for me personally, I don't boot multiple versions of Windows, but I do have Linux Ubuntu installed. And when I restart my computer, it asks me which Operating system I want to boot with, either Windows 7 or Ubuntu, it does not specify it's specific version, neither it's bit value. Hopefully this is just something that I have since I don't have another version of Windows installed...

hello, thanks for the quick answer.
i think i didnt get your answer for 100 %...
you want me to create 3 partitions on the 3rd hdd..or not... i wanted to create 2 partitions 250 GB for the windows 7 64 bit and the other 750 GB for storage... am i thinking right?
and btw can you tell me evan if im correct or not in both situations:
"I recomend leaving at minimum 20 GB for one OS alone" - your answer
" i wanted to create 2 partitions 250 GB for the windows 7 64 bit and the other 750 GB for storage" - my answer
how many MB's is 20 GB for your solution
and how many MB's is 250 GB for my solution
just to know for creating the partitions... :D 
thanks in advance,
Daniel.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2011 9:32:26 AM

Don't worry, 250 GB is fine, hpfreak was simply saying at a minimum leave 20GB for the OS partition, you are planning to use more than ten times that so you'll be fine.

Just make sure you install your oldest operating system first. I assume you are already running XP, so adding Win 7 on a separate partition works fine, I did the same on my PC. In the past I've managed to add Win98 to an XP machine but I think it's risky with newer OS.
m
l
July 5, 2011 9:56:19 AM

SteveH3671 said:
Don't worry, 250 GB is fine, hpfreak was simply saying at a minimum leave 20GB for the OS partition, you are planning to use more than ten times that so you'll be fine.

Just make sure you install your oldest operating system first. I assume you are already running XP, so adding Win 7 on a separate partition works fine, I did the same on my PC. In the past I've managed to add Win98 to an XP machine but I think it's risky with newer OS.

thanks, but actualy im corrently running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.... and i want to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit... :D 
m
l
July 5, 2011 12:19:04 PM

Get rid of the 32bit edition. You have 8GB of memory which is totally wasted on a 32bit OS.

If you really want to keep both, just partition and install your second OS. The boot information will be modified to allow to choose which OS to boot on startup.
m
l
July 5, 2011 12:52:33 PM

lafontma said:
Get rid of the 32bit edition. You have 8GB of memory which is totally wasted on a 32bit OS.

If you really want to keep both, just partition and install your second OS. The boot information will be modified to allow to choose which OS to boot on startup.

thanks, i know... my problem is that i guess my widows 7 64 bit is not good... i mean whene i turn my pc on and boot from cd/dvd drive the disk is not being read... whene i insert the 32 bit version all works and installation starts... i dont know what to do... ? can u help me out..? :D 
m
l
July 5, 2011 4:12:16 PM

Did you verify your boot order in your BIOS? When you have no OS installed, the boot order is not really important but when you want to install a 2nd OS, you need to make sure that your BIOS will first try to boot off the DVD before you hard drive.

If the boot order is fine, i guess your copy of Win7 64bit is not good
m
l
July 5, 2011 5:36:56 PM

danirockdude said:
hello, thanks for the quick answer.
i think i didnt get your answer for 100 %...
you want me to create 3 partitions on the 3rd hdd..or not... i wanted to create 2 partitions 250 GB for the windows 7 64 bit and the other 750 GB for storage... am i thinking right?
and btw can you tell me evan if im correct or not in both situations:
"I recomend leaving at minimum 20 GB for one OS alone" - your answer
" i wanted to create 2 partitions 250 GB for the windows 7 64 bit and the other 750 GB for storage" - my answer
how many MB's is 20 GB for your solution
and how many MB's is 250 GB for my solution
just to know for creating the partitions... :D 
thanks in advance,
Daniel.

Sorry for confusing you. I wanted leave a fundamental set-up for you. The link I gave you would help you create partitions... You can tweak the guide for it to work for you. If you want to divide up the partitions 250/750 GB, that's fine. You'll have plenty of memory.

I'd recommend you deleting the 32 Bit version of Windows though, You have 8GB of RAM, in a 32 bit operating system. You can only use 4... So, if you want to make use of that RAM, you need to install the 64 Bit version of Windows, I'd recommend you deleting the other version of Windows, you have nothing to gain from using it instead of a 64x OS.

For your question about partitions, 250 GB is 256,000 Megabytes. Just ignore my statement about 20 GB... :ange: 

m
l
July 5, 2011 7:43:53 PM

hpfreak said:
Sorry for confusing you. I wanted leave a fundamental set-up for you. The link I gave you would help you create partitions... You can tweak the guide for it to work for you. If you want to divide up the partitions 250/750 GB, that's fine. You'll have plenty of memory.

I'd recommend you deleting the 32 Bit version of Windows though, You have 8GB of RAM, in a 32 bit operating system. You can only use 4... So, if you want to make use of that RAM, you need to install the 64 Bit version of Windows, I'd recommend you deleting the other version of Windows, you have nothing to gain from using it instead of a 64x OS.

For your question about partitions, 250 GB is 256,000 Megabytes. Just ignore my statement about 20 GB... :ange: 

thank you very much...about deliting the 32 bit win 7 i cant beacause i have many games and programs that wont work on the 64 bit windows... :( 
so about that i cant do anything :D 
now i have another problem.... i cant install windows 7 X64 i guess my widows 7 64 bit is not good... i mean whene i turn my pc on and boot from cd/dvd drive the disk is not being read... whene i insert the 32 bit version all works and installation starts... i dont know what to do... ? can u help me out..? :D 
m
l
July 5, 2011 9:43:19 PM

Hmmm... Are you using a pirated version of Windows? We will not help you if you are.
Are you having a problem with the Official Windows 7 DVD? Or, did you buy it and download it off the official Microsoft website and then burned it?

Anyways, log into your Windows 7 32x account, then, insert the DVD (64 bit). Once you insert it, go to Computer, and click on the Windows DVD from there... That might simplify the installation if the DVD is recognised thru Windows.
m
l
July 6, 2011 10:17:07 AM

its a leagle win 7 cd...whene i insert it to the cd/dvd drive the pc recognizes the cd but whene i turn pc off and that on whene trying to boot from the cd/dvd drive it doesnt work... whene i insert the cd whene running win 7 32 bit it recognizes the cd and whene i try to install it it says that i need to check if my system needs 32 bit version or 64 bit version... some help please?...
m
l
July 6, 2011 11:19:14 AM

hpfreak said:
Hmmm... Are you using a pirated version of Windows? We will not help you if you are.
Are you having a problem with the Official Windows 7 DVD? Or, did you buy it and download it off the official Microsoft website and then burned it?

Anyways, log into your Windows 7 32x account, then, insert the DVD (64 bit). Once you insert it, go to Computer, and click on the Windows DVD from there... That might simplify the installation if the DVD is recognised thru Windows.

its a legle win 7 cd...whene i insert it to the cd/dvd drive the pc recognizes the cd but whene i turn pc off and that on whene trying to boot from the cd/dvd drive it doesnt work... whene i insert the cd whene running win 7 32 bit it recognizes the cd and whene i try to install it it says that i need to check if my system needs 32 bit version or 64 bit version... some help please?...
m
l
!