Sign in with
Your question

OK, So i suck at life, apparently, please tell me why...

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2007 6:25:06 AM

Ok, so i've been out of the overclocking game for ~5yrs now. And obviously things have changed. So, because i wanted a new system, i went out and bought an Asus P5n-e SLI mobo, Super Talent 5-5-5-15 ddr2-800 mem, and an e6600. I also bought a Tuniq Tower, but apparenly my measurements were off b/c it wouldnt fit by ~.5(too tall).

So anyways, i decided to see what i could do with stock cooling.

I looked up the Core 2 duo OC'ing guide, followed instructions to the T. Well as well as i could, most of the options were labeled differently. Anyways, First try was 2.8ghz, vcore at 1.4v, nb core at 1.56v, mem at 2.1v, and i couldnt find an FSBvoltage setting.

Either way, prime 95 hosed it pretty much on load up. So i tried backing it down to 2.6ghz, same problem though i actually got to click the button to start the test.

So, out of morbid curiousity, i just selected the "overclock 20%" option on the AI overclock, which put it at 2.87ghz, mem at ~480mhz (ddr-960), it has mem timings at 5-6-6-31, and it has been running prime95 for about 25 min now perfectly fine. Hell i've got Vanguard SOH downloading updates, and am typing this message while it runs. So it appears to be pretty stable though i havent done a burn in. Also, according to CPU-Z its got the vcore at 1.264v(???). CPU temp is at 47C under full load.

I was curious if anyone might shed some insight as to why i wasnt able to get the overclock to work at with manual settings?

More about : suck life apparently

January 22, 2007 8:03:20 AM

Well, ran prime95 for 1.5 hours, no errors. Ran a 3dmark 05 at 1280x1024 4xAA8xAS and it posted 11,498. Seems to be running stable with the Nvidia overclock. Personally, i'm not going to complain. Got x6800 speed for e6600 price.
January 24, 2007 1:24:54 PM

umm maybe you were over volting the chip? at 2.8ghz you had 1.4 volts and at 2.84ghz it was at 1.264 volts. Clearly at 2.8ghz for less speed u had more volts. maybe you were frying the damn thing at 2800mhz/1.4volt? although i dont know what the effect of a slight "over volting" may be.
Related resources
January 24, 2007 2:32:00 PM

The problem with using auto overclock features is that is overclocks memory by the same amount as the CPU....and I can pretty much guarantee you the CPU will out oc the mem by some margin.

My E6600 runs at 3.2GHz and only 1.35Vcore, you've got your vcore far too high imo and I can only guess at what effect having latency timings like 5-6-6-31 will do...

I'd start again. Disable the chipset hogging controls as in the overclock guide, boost your RAM voltage to whatever the manufacturer recommends, bump the FSB to 400MHz and the memory multiplier to 2x. The RAM is now running stock. Now set the CPU multiplier to 6x to begin with (2.4GHz) and see how it goes. Bump the CPU multiplier up by one after a successful reboot and stress test it at 2.8GHz. The go again to 3.2 if you want and stress again.

The E6600 should 98% go to 3.2 on stock cooling according to what I've read...if however you dont feel safe with this stick at 2.8.

If you have the options increase the FSB voltage by 0.1V, set Vcore to 1.35 and most likely the memory to +0.2V as it's default is 1.8V.
January 24, 2007 2:42:10 PM

Quote:
Bump the CPU multiplier up by one after a successful reboot and stress test it at 2.8GHz. The go again to 3.2 if you want and stress again.

The E6600 should 98% go to 3.2 on stock cooling.

You can adjust the multiplier on the e6600 i thought the multiplier was locked upwards on all models (i guess u can clock downwards if u disable something i think) but the extreme conroes?
January 24, 2007 2:48:07 PM

It's unlocked on mine. I think it's the other way around, the lower class CPU's are locked, not the higher ones....but i'm not 100% on that.

Most important thing is yes, my E6600 has the multiplier unlocked and goes to around 12x i think on this mobo...cant remember.
January 24, 2007 2:55:39 PM

Quote:
It's unlocked on mine. I think it's the other way around, the lower class CPU's are locked, not the higher ones....but i'm not 100% on that.

Most important thing is yes, my E6600 has the multiplier unlocked and goes to around 12x i think on this mobo...cant remember.

ohh so wut multiplier is your system set at, 8x?
January 24, 2007 6:07:39 PM

Hi yes my multiplier is currently at 8x but like I said I'm not sure (and after reading your thread in the CPU section am pretty UNsure now!) of the maximum multiplier.

As silencer (was it) replied to you...the higher class processors like E6600 can downwards adjust the multiplier, but not upwards (i'll take his word for it, i've not tried) but when you increase your FSB you dont need the additional cpu multiplier anyway.
January 24, 2007 6:12:36 PM

Quote:

No, all but the Extreme edition CPU's (C2D and P4's) are locked, only the Extreme CPU's that Intel makes are unlocked in the upward direction. All models are unlocked in the downward direction, this is a feature of Intel's EIST which allows the system to undervolt and lower the clockspeed via the multiplier during periods of unuse. This is a power saving scheme.

As for you having an unlocked E6600, it's possible you have an early engineering sample, as some of these where unlocked. I can't say whether or not Intel is placing any unlocked CPU's in the channel anymore though. I also heard a rumor that ASUS and/or Giga-Byte had found a way around the multi lock on their P965 boards (something in the firmware) if I remember correctly.

As for using 1.4V on your CPU, it should operate like that without a problem. The only thing about running a higher voltage than needed to keep it stable is that it will generate more heat. You didn't mention temperatures, but I can assume that if it's working well with the auto overclock features you probably weren't overheating. My guess is that something else is going on when you are using the auto overclock feature, possibly RAM timings are being loosened or something like that. If you are really curious you could see if it will run with the auto overclock enabled with a specified voltage and try to run it at 1.4V. Of course you have to be curious enough since you said it's working without the extra voltage. The other thing that should be mentioned is that the motherboard you are using has the 590 chipset (nVidia) which is known to be weaker in the overclocking end than other chipsets for C2D.

One thing you may want to try is running memory 1:1 (ie don't run it at DDR2 800). This would require you to run with it set to DDR2 533. In this way you would not be overclocking your RAM (DDR2 640 rather than DDR2 960). You lose a little bit of memory bandwidth, but in real world testing, it usually hurts performance to run a memory divider other than 1:1. You may find that you can take your CPU higher by doing this since your RAM shouldn't be the limiting factor.
January 24, 2007 6:23:52 PM

OK well i've already said I was unsure about that unlock and have just looked and can confirm that it is indeed maxxed out at a 9x multiplier...not that this really detracts from the original question ;) 
January 24, 2007 7:10:40 PM

Yeah, i think im gonna play with it a bit when i get home. Its really bizarre though. As for overheating, i dont think this is a problem at all. My MB temp gets a little high, 48 or so under load, cpu generally is around 46 to 48.

Its understandable though because the 8800gts is like 1 inch from the heatsink for the North Bridge, and that 8800 gets hot as all hell. (usually about 80c under load, which is good i guess for that vid card /shrug).

So you guys think the main problem was overvoltage then?
January 24, 2007 7:17:19 PM

Honestly, like I said in the above post, I think the overclocked RAM with too tight timings was holding you back, not voltage at all. I think if you were to try to run your memory 1:1, it would work at that voltage. Since the auto overclock feature works with a lower voltage though, I don't think you need a higher voltage (at least not until you are ready to go higher than 20%) setting.
January 25, 2007 4:37:29 AM

Well, let me clarify, when i was trying "my own" overclocking, i had my mem running at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v which is what the mem is rated for and specifies. The nice thing about the P5n-e is that it has unlimited memory ratios. So you literally just type the speed of the memory in, and the mobo takes care of the rest.
!