GPO for offline files - User's Home Directory, possible?

Trying to implement a GPO for automatically having the user's home directory
available offline, mainly for our laptop user base.
Trying to use the item of \\servername\%username% but it does not appear to
be working as expected. Is using variables even possible? Can i substitute
a drive letter instead of the UNC even though the GPO setting says you must
use a UNC?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike.

You ened to configure each share for this. Generally when doing user
folders, you share a folder like "UserFolders", and give each user a
properly ACLed subdirectory. Makes this sort of thing a lot easier.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Mike S." <MikeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to implement a GPO for automatically having the user's home
directory
> available offline, mainly for our laptop user base.
> Trying to use the item of \\servername\%username% but it does not appear
> be working as expected. Is using variables even possible? Can i
substitute
> a drive letter instead of the UNC even though the GPO setting says you
must
> use a UNC?
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Mike.

Thanks for the response, however, we have too much invested in
individual user shares for their home directories and how they are used
(re: login scripts, applications, etc...). Any other options?

Mike.