Dire Spider in Underground Crypt

Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
welcome.

Thanks
Phee
9 answers Last reply
More about dire spider underground crypt

    Deep Phee wrote:
    > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
    > in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
    > Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
    > killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
    > spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
    > welcome.

    I wound up picking up Boddynock at my companion for the duration of the
    fight. I'd suggest switching to either Boddynock or possibly Daelan.
    Use one of every potion you've found that offers a useful combat
    enhancement, and good luck.

    Deep Phee wrote:
    > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
    > located in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger
    > and I've hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get
    > by that spider with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some
    > tips as to how I can get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat
    > codes so any ideas beyond that would be welcome.

    I don't know why, but this spider is far more powerful than every other
    enemy in this district. The best idea would be to let it alone for now and
    come back later when you have got some more levels. IIRC it's not necessary
    to kill it to solve the main quest, because there are more than one entrance
    to the crypt.

    HTH
    Hans

    "Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > Deep Phee wrote:
    >> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
    >> located in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger
    >> and I've hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get
    >> by that spider with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some
    >> tips as to how I can get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat
    >> codes so any ideas beyond that would be welcome.
    >
    > I don't know why, but this spider is far more powerful than every other
    > enemy in this district. The best idea would be to let it alone for now and
    > come back later when you have got some more levels. IIRC it's not
    > necessary
    > to kill it to solve the main quest, because there are more than one
    > entrance
    > to the crypt.
    >
    > HTH
    > Hans

    Both entrances from the Begger's Nest lead to the spider's lair. You have
    to pass it to complete the quest.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:32:27 +0200, "Hans Wein"
    <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Deep Phee wrote:
    >> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
    >> located in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger
    >> and I've hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get
    >> by that spider with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some
    >> tips as to how I can get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat
    >> codes so any ideas beyond that would be welcome.
    >
    >I don't know why, but this spider is far more powerful than every other
    >enemy in this district. The best idea would be to let it alone for now and
    >come back later when you have got some more levels. IIRC it's not necessary
    >to kill it to solve the main quest, because there are more than one entrance
    >to the crypt.
    >
    >HTH
    >Hans

    I used my only summon creature III spell (from the scroll) to get a
    dire wolf to help and that made the difference (first time through and
    just did that bit today)

    Hmmm, not much help to a ranger tho.... :/

    HJ
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Deep Phee" <tak657g2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
    > in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've
    hired
    > Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with
    it
    > killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by
    this
    > spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
    > welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phee

    The way I did it with my Ranger was to lure the spider outside of the
    building. Then I ran kind of a circular pattern around buildings walls and
    the main square in that area. The spider is just a little slower than the
    Ranger and you can widen the distance between the two of them by cutting
    sharp corners around obstacles and buildings. By doing this I was able to
    turn, shoot an arrow, then turn back and continue running. It took a lot of
    arrows and time because I would only actually hit the spider about 2 out of
    3 shots. My Ranger is a Half-Elf so I'm not sure if sleep would be a factor
    in this strategy.

    Mox
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In article <V3Z0d.1201$nI1.472@fe61.usenetserver.com>, tak657g2@yahoo.com
    says...

    >Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
    >in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
    >Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
    >killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
    >spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
    >welcome.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Phee

    I used a ranger as well and had alot of trouble with that spider. I acutally
    just finished the Beggar's nest part and found the next creature as well
    before I went back to that spider. Once I came back I was a level higher and
    didn't have that much of a problem with him. Barkskin potition for both Tomi
    and I came in handy as well as a +1 longsword and a potion of Bull's Strength.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Aahh, the dire spider. Fun.

    It really is rather strong for that area, isn't it? I've gone through that
    area several times, and this is what I've usually ended up doing:

    I can kill it off with a pure fighter character with few problems...just
    lots of potions. Yaaay potions. (if it matters, my pure fighter tends to use
    a scythe).
    I can kill it off wit ha fighter/rogue (halberd) with a few MORE problems,
    and some pretty paranoid healing...plus, my fighter/rogue has the priest
    girl as a henchman, and if you tell her to be paranoid about HER healing, it
    increases your odds.
    My sorcerer character had to die once, respawn, and go back to finish the
    spider off, but only because I wasn't careful enough about my health. That
    time around was a little easier - I have a panther familiar, and the panther
    and my henchman (priest girl again) can play with the spider in melee range
    while I'm WAY away from the damn thing, pounding it with magic missile and
    acid arrow. The only problem here is that your henchman probably WILL die,
    and your familiar too...but if you've prepared carefully, then you can
    resummon your familiar as soon as it bites the dust, and you still have a
    melee fighter between you and the big bad bug.

    - Blayde

    "Deep Phee" <tak657g2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
    > in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've
    > hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider
    > with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can
    > get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond
    > that would be welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phee

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Deep Phee wrote:
    > > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
    located
    > > in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've
    hired
    > > Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with
    it
    > > killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by
    this
    > > spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
    > > welcome.
    >
    > I wound up picking up Boddynock at my companion for the duration of the
    > fight. I'd suggest switching to either Boddynock or possibly Daelan.
    > Use one of every potion you've found that offers a useful combat
    > enhancement, and good luck.

    Daelan doesn't help. I'm a level 5 ranger and switched to Daelan, thinking
    the same thing. Tried six times and succeeded in getting it close to death.
    But close don't count, as the saying goes.

    I left to do the docks quest. It's a little easier, though that stag beetle
    is a pain.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In article <V3Z0d.1201$nI1.472@fe61.usenetserver.com>,
    "Deep Phee" <tak657g2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
    > in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
    > Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
    > killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
    > spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
    > welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phee

    I used the time honored tradition of fight and run away, fight and run
    away. I also used a ranged weapon to get it to run after me. If you run
    around a corner and it loses line of sight it gives up the chase, so you
    can go down the hall, rest and come back to it.

Games Video Games