Dire Spider in Underground Crypt

Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
welcome.

Thanks
Phee

Deep Phee wrote:
> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
> in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
> Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
> killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
> spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
> welcome.

I wound up picking up Boddynock at my companion for the duration of the
fight. I'd suggest switching to either Boddynock or possibly Daelan.
Use one of every potion you've found that offers a useful combat
enhancement, and good luck.

Deep Phee wrote:
> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
> located in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger
> and I've hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get
> by that spider with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some
> tips as to how I can get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat
> codes so any ideas beyond that would be welcome.

I don't know why, but this spider is far more powerful than every other
enemy in this district. The best idea would be to let it alone for now and
come back later when you have got some more levels. IIRC it's not necessary
to kill it to solve the main quest, because there are more than one entrance
to the crypt.

HTH
Hans

"Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Deep Phee wrote:
>> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
>> located in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger
>> and I've hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get
>> by that spider with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some
>> tips as to how I can get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat
>> codes so any ideas beyond that would be welcome.
>
> I don't know why, but this spider is far more powerful than every other
> enemy in this district. The best idea would be to let it alone for now and
> come back later when you have got some more levels. IIRC it's not
> necessary
> to kill it to solve the main quest, because there are more than one
> entrance
> to the crypt.
>
> HTH
> Hans

Both entrances from the Begger's Nest lead to the spider's lair. You have
to pass it to complete the quest.

homerj

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:32:27 +0200, "Hans Wein"
<hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

>Deep Phee wrote:
>> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
>> located in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger
>> and I've hired Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get
>> by that spider with it killing both of us. Does anybody have some
>> tips as to how I can get by this spider? I abhor the use of cheat
>> codes so any ideas beyond that would be welcome.
>
>I don't know why, but this spider is far more powerful than every other
>enemy in this district. The best idea would be to let it alone for now and
>come back later when you have got some more levels. IIRC it's not necessary
>to kill it to solve the main quest, because there are more than one entrance
>to the crypt.
>
>HTH
>Hans

I used my only summon creature III spell (from the scroll) to get a
dire wolf to help and that made the difference (first time through and
just did that bit today)

Hmmm, not much help to a ranger tho.... :/

HJ

"Deep Phee" <tak657g2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
> in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've
hired
> Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with
it
> killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by
this
> spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
> welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Phee

The way I did it with my Ranger was to lure the spider outside of the
building. Then I ran kind of a circular pattern around buildings walls and
the main square in that area. The spider is just a little slower than the
Ranger and you can widen the distance between the two of them by cutting
sharp corners around obstacles and buildings. By doing this I was able to
turn, shoot an arrow, then turn back and continue running. It took a lot of
arrows and time because I would only actually hit the spider about 2 out of
3 shots. My Ranger is a Half-Elf so I'm not sure if sleep would be a factor
in this strategy.

Mox

In article <V3Z0d.1201$nI1.472@fe61.usenetserver.com>, tak657g2@yahoo.com
says...

>Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
>in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
>Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
>killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
>spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
>welcome.
>
>Thanks
>Phee

I used a ranger as well and had alot of trouble with that spider. I acutally
just finished the Beggar's nest part and found the next creature as well
before I went back to that spider. Once I came back I was a level higher and
didn't have that much of a problem with him. Barkskin potition for both Tomi
and I came in handy as well as a +1 longsword and a potion of Bull's Strength.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

Aahh, the dire spider. Fun.

It really is rather strong for that area, isn't it? I've gone through that
area several times, and this is what I've usually ended up doing:

I can kill it off with a pure fighter character with few problems...just
lots of potions. Yaaay potions. (if it matters, my pure fighter tends to use
a scythe).
I can kill it off wit ha fighter/rogue (halberd) with a few MORE problems,
and some pretty paranoid healing...plus, my fighter/rogue has the priest
girl as a henchman, and if you tell her to be paranoid about HER healing, it
increases your odds.
My sorcerer character had to die once, respawn, and go back to finish the
spider off, but only because I wasn't careful enough about my health. That
time around was a little easier - I have a panther familiar, and the panther
and my henchman (priest girl again) can play with the spider in melee range
while I'm WAY away from the damn thing, pounding it with magic missile and
acid arrow. The only problem here is that your henchman probably WILL die,
and your familiar too...but if you've prepared carefully, then you can
resummon your familiar as soon as it bites the dust, and you still have a
melee fighter between you and the big bad bug.

- Blayde

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Deep Phee wrote:
> > Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt
located
> > in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've
hired
> > Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with
it
> > killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by
this
> > spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
> > welcome.
>
> I wound up picking up Boddynock at my companion for the duration of the
> fight. I'd suggest switching to either Boddynock or possibly Daelan.
> Use one of every potion you've found that offers a useful combat
> enhancement, and good luck.

Daelan doesn't help. I'm a level 5 ranger and switched to Daelan, thinking
the same thing. Tried six times and succeeded in getting it close to death.
But close don't count, as the saying goes.

I left to do the docks quest. It's a little easier, though that stag beetle
is a pain.

In article <V3Z0d.1201$nI1.472@fe61.usenetserver.com>,
"Deep Phee" <tak657g2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Need some help getting by the Dire Spider in the Underground Crypt located
> in the Beggar's Nest area. I've got a decently equiped Ranger and I've hired
> Tomi Undergallows as a henchmen. I can't seem to get by that spider with it
> killing both of us. Does anybody have some tips as to how I can get by this
> spider? I abhor the use of cheat codes so any ideas beyond that would be
> welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Phee

I used the time honored tradition of fight and run away, fight and run
away. I also used a ranged weapon to get it to run after me. If you run
around a corner and it loses line of sight it gives up the chase, so you
can go down the hall, rest and come back to it.

TRENDING THREADS