Dell XPS always breaking down

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
My 2.5 year old Dell XPS is ALWAYS breaking down. Mobo breaks down, WD caviar breaks down, CPU breaks down, RAM breaks down. I swear it's been back at the factory for over half a year with over 4 or 5 break downs per year.

What in the world is wrong with this computer? I think almost every single component has been changed in the last 2.5 years.

I can't see it being an electrical surge problem or the way I handle the computer. I don't beat on it or over clock it.

What could be the reason behind all the break downs?
Is Dell the problem? (meaning: they just make crap pcs)

Thank you for your advice in advance.

jerrardo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I had a similar problem with an inspiron 8500. I had issues that included the hard drive dieing and the screen went through several attempted repairs. I finally got sick of dealing with the screen and asked for a supervisor. The guy I talked to actually had common sense, and when I asked about fixing a few other minor problems at the same time he looked at the history of problems with my laptop and offered to replace it. I´m sure they are not required to do this, but if you can get beyond the first level or two of customer service and explain your situation. It may have also been partly the result of being 3 years into a 5 year warranty (cheaper to replace then keep fixing).

Good luck!

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hey I also have a Dell XPS thats 2.5 yrs old. Ive got the XPS Gen 3 and havent had any hardware problems at all with it even though my 2 year warranty ran out last August.

Heck I love my XPS and I plan to upgrade it with another Gig of Ram and a 7900gs soon. I plan to use it for the next 2 or 3 years.

MoreMyPC015smaller.jpg

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Well now that I come to think of it, my Seagate HD did fail the second time I tried to turn the PC on.
But thats old news. It works great now :)

Dude, you got a Dell!

--

Seriously, although you say you don't think so, this does sound like power problems. Are you using a decent quality surge protector and/or UPS? Is your PC on a relatively clean line, or does it share a circuit with a hair dryer, microwave, laundry equipment, or refrigerator? If you've got a modem in it, is your phone line also protected? I had power protection out the kazoo but lost half a system some years ago due to a phone line spike.

Is the PSU in this system too little to handle its configuration?

Could it be static?

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
My 2.5 year old Dell XPS is ALWAYS breaking down. Mobo breaks down, WD caviar breaks down, CPU breaks down, RAM breaks down. I swear it's been back at the factory for over half a year with over 4 or 5 break downs per year.

What in the world is wrong with this computer? I think almost every single component has been changed in the last 2.5 years.

I can't see it being an electrical surge problem or the way I handle the computer. I don't beat on it or over clock it.

What's wrong?? It's a Dell. An HP is not much better, nor is an Acer... generally the Tier 1 OEM retail vendors (HP, Dell) cut corners and often use questionable HW in their builds.
Damnit, you beat me to it haha.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I agree that you could have serious power fluctuation issues. Anytime you buy a high-end system a UPS and / or a surge protector are in order. Got to protect your investment.

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

As frustrated as you are with Dud, it's time that you join the rest of us and just simply build your own C2D. You probably can take out the DVD burner and floppy and get everything else new. Of all the computer I have built in the past for friends or family, they never had an issue's. 2.5yrs, you are well over due for the new micro processor awesome power of video encoding and speed and it uses less energy.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I own a Dell desktop.... never again.

I remember when Dell was the standard for quality back in the 90s... now they just send out garbage.

Also, they have proprietary MOBOs (at least mine did)... which limits upgrades and overclocking. Oh, and opening my case voided my warranty... LOL.

Trying "customizing" a computer on their website? I tried in order to get a comparision of build vs. buy... but it's nearly impossible to compare. They give you very general component specs.

I could go on and on.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I own a Dell desktop.... never again.

I remember when Dell was the standard for quality back in the 90s... now they just send out garbage.

Also, they have proprietary MOBOs (at least mine did)... which limits upgrades and overclocking. Oh, and opening my case voided my warranty... LOL.

Trying "customizing" a computer on their website? I tried in order to get a comparision of build vs. buy... but it's nearly impossible to compare. They give you very general component specs.

I could go on and on.

My late grandmother bought a Dell and had an issue with a loud fan and Dell service treated her like crap. I haven't been a fan (no pun intended) of them since.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I agree that you could have serious power fluctuation issues. Anytime you buy a high-end system a UPS and / or a surge protector are in order. Got to protect your investment.

I would agree with ajfink and silencer, but Jack and Ninja as well.
To start, Dell's quality is not what one would describe as "of the highest order". Lower quality components are more sensitive and vulnerable to environmental variations, i.e power surges. Even though you may think your power drop is stable, they never are..there are always variations.

For ex, friends of mine were recently experiencing power drops at their house. This was due a nieghbors central air/heat systems heat exchanger fan motor going bad. Every time it would kick on, the demand increase was bad enough to sap the local grid.

To avoid inconsistanies in your power, I would buy a high quality UPS with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation), at least 1.5 x the capacity you think you need.

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Thank you all for the kind advices.

I called up Dell and they told me that the only part that has not been touched in the last 2.5 years is the PSU. And I told them to change that.

I will also install a high grade ups with an avr with plenty of over head capacity.

I figure after reading the advices that the main causes are surges and or psu otherwise it couldn't break down this many times. I checked to see what other electrical appliances are jacked into the same line and it is the humidifier and fish tank. Anyway for now I will try to combat this solution with a high grade ups with avr.

Thank you once again for all the advices.

Much appreciated.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Dell is notorious for building pc's that only last until the warranty runs out.In this way they force you to buy a new machine every couple years.Now i admit that i build a new machine every 6-8 months,but not because they break down,but because I like to stay on top of things.In fact I'm over due to build my next machine,but I am waiting for the battle between intel and amd to well level out a bit.Anyways,it's my understanding that it has something to do with the bios on the mainboards.If I were you I would seriously look into it and possibly look up the class action law suites against dell right now.You might even want to contact the representatives in the law suite and explain your case.They may add you to their list.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Yes I do have the 5 year warranty.

But the problem is always having to make a back up copy of the data.

It's such a pain in the butt I don't want to have to live with that.

As for the class action suit, I will look into it. But my XPS breaks down every 3 months. Never mind breaking down when the warranty runs out. LOL

Well I'll get all the necessary hardware to protect the PC from all electrical outlet gremlins just to be safe. Last thing I need is the monitor getting fried up too. Since that is on a 3 year warranty.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
That's a crock of shite..you can customise your dell pc with 90days to 5 year warrantly. There is a lawsuit against Dell for a notebook but it's limited to just that one brand. I'm on my 4th Dell pc and I've never had a problem nor neither has anyone else I bought a dell pc for. As for the Op it's a definite power problem. If you're going to spend €2000+ on a pc at least buy a surge protector. All houses get surges ..some are just worse than others.

DellCA

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Uroboros:

I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across this thread. Sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble with this. I can assure you that losing that many parts in that period is nowhere near normal. It sounds like you might have gotten it fixed but if the power supply/UPS route doesn't work feel free to contact me. Please put my name in the subject line if emailing so the message is routed to me.

Neil
customer_advocate@dell.com
Round Rock REC

pottymonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
yeah, its pretty awesome when a rep stands up like that. good for them.

up until just recently i had a pc from mdg, people from canada might know the company. they're like dell, except canadian, and they're pretty good. i never had a problem with them, and they use good quality components. ati, wd hard drives, kingston ram... and their mobos arent screwed with like dells. so yeah, if youre gonna buy a pc from a company, mdg is pretty good.