Prog needs more Memory?

Hi all. I'm trying to run the program "Joy of Cooking." I've had it for a
few years (from my Win98 days), and when I try to run it under XP SP2, I get
the error "Director Player 6.0: This program requires at least 3MB of free
virtual memory to run."
I have 1GB of RAM, and a 160GB drive that's only 1/3 full. Is there way to
get this prog to run on my system?
Thanks!

LMO wrote:
>> Hi all. I'm trying to run the program "Joy of Cooking." I've had it
>> for a few years (from my Win98 days), and when I try to run it under
>> XP SP2, I get the error "Director Player 6.0: This program requires at
>> least 3MB of free virtual memory to run."
>> I have 1GB of RAM, and a 160GB drive that's only 1/3 full. Is there
>> way to get this prog to run on my system?
>> Thanks!

Some of the older applications require that virtual memory be availed.
Check to see how your Virtual Memory is set. System Properties--
Advanced--Performance Options--Advanced--Virtual memory--change--
The default settings are usually 1536 over 3072 for 1GB RAM.

Actually in system properties,virtual memory,you should select "let windows
manage",then click set 2X for it to get active.You could also,open task
manager,
processes,R.click on the program,set priority,set 1 above where it is
now,then
close out task manager,however the trick 1st mentioned should take care of
it.

"LMO" wrote:

> Hi all. I'm trying to run the program "Joy of Cooking." I've had it for a
> few years (from my Win98 days), and when I try to run it under XP SP2, I get
> the error "Director Player 6.0: This program requires at least 3MB of free
> virtual memory to run."
> I have 1GB of RAM, and a 160GB drive that's only 1/3 full. Is there way to
> get this prog to run on my system?
> Thanks!

I used the first method, rebooted, and it worked.
Thanks!

LMO wrote:

>Hi all. I'm trying to run the program "Joy of Cooking." I've had it for a
>few years (from my Win98 days), and when I try to run it under XP SP2, I get
>the error "Director Player 6.0: This program requires at least 3MB of free
>virtual memory to run."

It is probably making mistakes in checking the environment. Use All
Programs - Accessories - Program Compatibility Wizard, browse to the
..exe file of the program, tell it to run in Win98 mode

Hav you tried using the Compatability Wizard in XP ?, this tricks XP into
thinking its an older version of Windows, sometimes does the trick.