Sign in with
Your question

New 8800 GTX and dir x 10

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2007 11:48:18 AM

Hey Everyone.

Before I buy a new 8800 gts to work with vista. This is my understanding only the direct x 10 capable cards can use dir x 10 with Vista. Is this correct????.

If I have older game not created to run or use dir x 10 the game with still operate on vista and dir x 10. This is my understanding. The older game will still run under the new 8800 graphics card running dir x 10. Only the game graphics will be the same as older card running dir x 9.0c. All the vista capabilities for using a dual core processor with still be in effect. You will get some benefit. Is this correct?

By having a newer 8800 card you get the option of running the new games with dir x 10 and older games as well. The older video cards not dir x 10 capable will work fine with Vista only on use dir x 9.0c. You will not be able to run the newer flashy graphics.

Can some post is my information correct?

Thanks

More about : 8800 gtx dir

January 22, 2007 12:10:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Everyone.

Before I buy a new 8800 gts to work with vista. This is my understanding only the direct x 10 capable cards can use dir x 10 with Vista. Is this correct????.

If I have older game not created to run or use dir x 10 the game with still operate on vista and dir x 10. This is my understanding. The older game will still run under the new 8800 graphics card running dir x 10. Only the game graphics will be the same as older card running dir x 9.0c. All the vista capabilities for using a dual core processor with still be in effect. You will get some benefit. Is this correct?

By having a newer 8800 card you get the option of running the new games with dir x 10 and older games as well. The older video cards not dir x 10 capable will work fine with Vista only on use dir x 9.0c. You will not be able to run the newer flashy graphics.

Can some post is my information correct?

Thanks

In theory all your old games should run just fine. Games will run under Vista, just in DX9 mode (and vista will also run fine under DX9)
January 22, 2007 1:08:59 PM

Quote:
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/17/gameplay-only-gets-worse-with-vista_uk/

that should answer your question

in summary tho your gpu will run in Vista and it will run games but for the moment at a mild performance hit. whether this will be fixed or not will remain to be seen.

Does anyone know if games such as Supreme Commander, that use some of DX10s features such as the ability to draw the same object over and over again with no performace hit, (I cant remember what the name of this effect is) will run faster on Vista? Or is that nothing to do with DX10 and more to do with GPU architecture?
Related resources
!